ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2742137/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Disconnect from the internet.

how this always works out for me

>disconnect from the internet in hopes of regaining concentration, focus
>IMMEDIATELY become depressed, suicidal etc because life is virtually empty
>try to read but internet fried the attention span
>gradually go back online, five minutes more every day usually

is there even a way out for those who grew up with internet?

You stop being a faggot who blames a fictional disease designed to sell pills to the ignorant masses for his retardation and just sit the fuck down like any other fucking human being would

how the fuck is adhd fictional? maybe overdiagnosed, yes, but fictional?

Fake disease. Just an excuse for poor parenting and eccentricities.

I would have a few good about how you could fix this.

But hey, you can't read this anyway.

A few good ideas*

Meditate like 30 mins before you read. And geta hobby.

>take heroin
>stop taking heroin
>feel like shit
>continue taking heroin

if i was a doctor id prescribe bitch pills to u

ADHD isn't real you cretin

Get diagnosed and get Concerta

I did, it makes me super anxious so I can't really use them anymore

you're right, it's a problem of discipline, which makes it all the more difficult to solve

:(

Strengthen your will by practice and determination

ADD is a super power when properly applied, as is autism, and most other "conditions"

It takes a certain self control lacking in most humans.

It is not a disease in the same way social anxiety or excessive sarcasm isn't a disease. If there are no physiological factors that can't be easily reversed without medical intervention, then it's not a disease. It's just a personality trait.

they can be "reversed" with medicine though

aren't social anxiety and adhd conditions that are related to brain chemicals and hormones similar to depression? if this is the case then I would say they are diseases. also, they are hardly easily reversed.

>aren't social anxiety and adhd conditions that are related to brain chemicals and hormones similar to depression?
all that is a fucking meme

good god, you seem too confident in this. care to elaborate?

so are you saying that feeling sad is a disease because it is an undesirable state and you can use drugs to "reverse" the effect?

feeling sad temporarily and losing the ability feel anything but sadness are very different things.

Maybe you should research this subject before you launch into, literally pseud, polemics. Do you even know how synapses work?

so tell me, how do synapses change the situation?

It has as much science behind it as no fap, difference is the pharma companies can make billions with it so they push it and lie

>For legal reasons they say that these pills "may" control brain chemicals and that these brain chemicals "may" be causing depression.
>talk therapy can "cure" depression, anxiety, etc so how can it be just a bio chemical thing
>a chemical imbalance might be possible but it wouldnt effect like 10% of the population like these fake mental illneses do (unless we have a chemical in our enviornment that is causes a huge amounts of this birth defect)
>If your arm hurts you dont assume your body is malfunctioning and that you shouldnt actually feel pain, you instead realize you've been mishandeling your arm and stop misusing your arm. The mind should be no different.

Personally they tried to diagnose me with ADHD when i was a kid, but that was because I was bored af in school and goofed off. I even got straight As but they wanted me to be on pills.

I mentioned anxiety to a doctor once and she immediatly offered me pills, did she *know* i had a chemical inbalance? Of course not, she just wants to give our bullshit pills.

Later I got rid of my anxiety by fixing my mind... Its all bullshit that makes pharma money and lets weakling pretend that a pill will fix them and that they arent doing anything wrong.

Not OP, but I've been diagnosed with ADD in the past. I've been succesful in the things they said I'd have problems with through determination.

But in what way could it be used as a "super power"? Please do tell me.

read this Its all BS no fap tier "science", most of these companies dont even claim it works they say it "may" work and that you "may" have a chemical inbalance for legal reasons.

Depressed people 99% of the time are depressed because their life/mind sucks, not cuz of some brain defect.

Sounds corny, but you'll realise as you get older and other people start slowing down. ADD lets you handle more concepts at once where your average NT cannot. There's a reason ADD traits are common in entrepreneurial personalities.

>Meditate like 30 mins before you read
This

I see. Guess that's why I haven't noticed any of it, I haven't slowed down yet at all.

Remember, patience is a virtue.

Surely an expert in the field has blown this so-called "conspiracy" wide open by now, could you link me to the peer reviewed paper which exposes these crooks for what they are?

Kelly Brogan is one example. It may not be the best, jsut one I know for sure.

I'm diagnosed with depression and BPD.

I think there shouldn't be any stigmas and prejudices here at least. It's scientifically proven that there's a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Sylvia Plath even wrote a book about it, offering no solution however. Why do you think she killed herself? Because her mind sucked - too stupid? She was the best student on her college.

Sometimes meds help, sometimes not. They help my friend evidently, and they don't help me evidently. There's a thing called treatment resistence. Just like some are allergic to mushrooms and some are not. Yes, the main aim of the therapists and manufacturers is to make money, but that doesn't mean that sometimes it doesn't help. It depends on the nature of the genes. Sometimes the cheapest med can help a poor guy, and the most expensive one can't help a millionaire.

There're even ECT and lobotomy, but even those don't help sometimes.

Maybe you should read some book about ADHD.

I can't really disconnect from the internet because I look up words and summaries non-stop.

Retard. By TRYING to get rid of your anxiety and by trying to fix your mind you get even more anxious. So your just delusional fag.

Did you try to fuck up and brake your mind before you got ADHD? -No.

Your hormones changed with aging, probably with puberty or something.

diagnosed ADD/ADHD, medicated for a decade with adderall. during my medicated years i devoured books, they were the only thing that held my attention. i used to read 2-3 800 page fantasy novels per week. i read over 300 books in high school, i used to keep multiple books in case the teacher took one away. terrible student, excellent reader.

it all depends of the method. Trying to get rid of anxiety can mean taking anti-anxiety medications, faggot.

me again, i believe ADD/ADHD is a brain type and not a disorder. i think its just a chemical orientation that like 25%+ of the population shares. medication can help, or it can do nothing (or meds can make you suicidal as a teenager)

ADHD is a disorder of children. A grown man can't have it.

You probably have no discipline or have some other disorder.

Plenty of adults have it, but adult diagnosis is virtually non-existent. It's just a fancy word for being chronically impatient. Know many adults like that? I guarantee you do.

I have a mate who claims he can't read due to problems concentrating, but he's taken to listening audiobooks recently. It works for him, you could give it a try.

get yourself into a fucking library you idiot

I miss when libraries were comfy. Inner city libraries have just become social services for the homeless to shitpost online from. I couldn't get comfy and read a book at my library if I tried.

Coluracetam and/or weed help(s) me, but you'll be much better off doing down sort of cognitive behavioral therapy focus training, which will help you develop better habits and retrain your brain to not need constant stimulation. Of course if you actually have severe ADHD you could probably get an amphetamine script. Just think about any potential abuse or health problems this may cause.

adhd is a spook invented by jewish science to sell u pills, u don't need to a ritalin pill, you need .... dun dun dun u kno wut it is

>talk therapy can "cure" depression, anxiety, etc so how can it be just a bio chemical thing
Dude, physical events in the environment and even the extent of the control you have over your mindset, what you observe, what you often think about, etc., has an actual physical and biochemical effect on your mind and thus on your "self". And vice versa, directly introducing a biochemical change to the brain can change your sense of self/mind. Basic neuroscience.

Not only that, but nofap isn't entirely pseudoscienific, abstaining from ejaculation indeed raises testosterone levels in your body temporarily.

Although I WILL give you that depressed people's lives may just suck, but the fact that their lives suck and that they may be too psychologically weak to handle it can actually cause stress, anxiety, and sadness which over time will have an actual biochemical effect on the brain which will get it stuck into a loop of depression.

I will also give you that talk therapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy should be preferred over medication. But it's basic neuroscience that changes in mood are associated with biochemical changes in the brain, and thus a longterm change in mood may have a massive, longterm impact on the brain. Again, pills are typically a very damaging (if taken over a longtime) "shortcut" to normality, such that you become dependent on them. I agree with you they're shady, but they're definitely not just placebos.

>Not only that, but nofap isn't entirely pseudoscienific, abstaining from ejaculation indeed raises testosterone levels in your body temporarily.

but that's completely wrong you fucking retard dot jaypeg

ejaculating increases testosterone levels in your body temporarily. just try to use your brain for one second ok. if ejaculating reduced your test then there would be no such thing as chads since they would all fuck themselves into betas by ejaculating all the time...no fap is fucking stupid. i haven't fapped in like a week, not because of some spooky ideology but just because i didn't get the chance, and i quite frankly thats probably why i'm shitposting with xhamster playing in another tab instead of doing productive work right now, then once i finally get a nut off i'll be able to finish my work.

lol, I was exactly saying that without a medication you can't treat it.

You aren't even following our discussion, go make yourself a sibling.

Meds can always make you suicidal.
At least you could google to check if adults can't have it plebian.
>Guys, if you haven't actually read anything about mental illnesses don't talk about it. I don't talk whether or not I enjoyed Ulysses because I haven't even read it. I've read very much about MI, maybe too much, because it's not curable in my case so it's practically a waste of time.

>abstaining from ejaculation indeed raises testosterone levels
lmao and why is testosterone needed? It increases happiness? Maybe testosterone should be injected in all people men and women so the whole world will be happy finally.

interesting how ppl with "adhd" can manage to play video games for hours and hours and hours and then watch 100 episodes of cartoons...looks to me like a self-discipline problem best solved by suicide

why are people with adhd attracted to constant flashing brights lights with a rapid reward system? gee, i dunno.

Lol, surprised how butthurt you fellas are

SEX raises testosterone levels because of the heavy physiological/psychological effects of being with a sexually aroused woman and having sex with her. The specific pheromones exuded by her and your body's own endocrine/hormone system will increase your testosterone in response to your so-called (as an evolutionary psychologist would say, but I genuinely hate evopsych, it's one of the greatest pseud-attractors of all time) "finding a mate".

Too much masturbation can decrease testosterone levels because not the same physiological/psychological response is going on, and there is testosterone in the semen you ejaculate which, when you retain it by not masturbating/ejaculating, gets reincorporated into your body.

For a certain amount of time, of course. After a while your testosterone levels reach a peak, then decline and just about return to normal.

I'm not saying testosterone is needed and that nofap is the best and it increases happiness; in fact, testosterone can be hilariously stupid at time, your libido is increased ridiculously, you're tortured with lust, and also very easily angered. On the other hand, too low testosterone in men can lead to decreased willpower, decreased feelings of happiness, women not as attracted to you and people don't respect you as much, etc. Need to strike a balance.

>there is testosterone in the semen you ejaculate which, when you retain it by not masturbating/ejaculating, gets reincorporated into your body.

wrong again you pseudo-scientific shitlord, "unused" semen gets pissed out, which is why sometimes when you wake up in the morning and have a megapiss it's all frothy? that's excess jizz

>"unused" semen gets pissed out, which is why sometimes when you wake up in the morning and have a megapiss it's all frothy? that's excess jizz

this sounds far more pseudoscientific than his comments

e-reader. I'm not even kidding. I swear by it. I think it has something to do with the fact that on an e-reader, you only have to read one page. One page at a time. It's easy to get overwhelmed by pages you're GOING to read so much that you can't focus on what you ARE reading. That doesn't happen on an e-reader.

t. adhd spaz

What the absolute fuck is up with this board and being so vicious in response to threads regarding issues like the OP? No other board here is like this.

This is exactly why I say that after a while, testosterone levels return to normal. If you don't jack off for a night or two, you're not likely to be pissing out excess jizz, although there are some people who say that they've tried nofap so long that stuff like this happened to them.

If we could become raging hulks just by not ejaculating, the world would obviously be very different, the body has inbuilt mechanisms to prevent ridiculous shit like that from happening. In fact, too much testosterone ultimately will be very damaging for you both physically and psychologically --- for instance, look at steroids and the stupid shit they lead to, steroids (not the scientific term for steroids, but the casual use of the term, as in roids used for musclebuilding) artificially increase your testosterone levels, leading to the negative effects associated with steroids (ugly and unnaturally built-up body, "roid rage", and of course shrunken genitals). Also, it's suggested that men who masturbate more often are at a decreased rate for prostate cancer when they get older, not masturbating enough may have some negative long-term effect on the prostate, and swells up the prostate.

>What the absolute fuck is up with this board and being so vicious
>No other board here is like this.
have you ever been to another board? just imagine
>Try to listen through a whole album
>Lose attention halfway and give up
It's just the nature of Veeky Forums

They're just sad cunts who want to fuck it up for everyone else.

There are a lot of super soft egos floating around, and they lash out. Probably the same troubled closet fags from /pol/ who clutter up the board with Peterson threads.

Not him, but he's right. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Veeky Forums has no community. Every board calls each other assholes and fags, and posts scoffing anime girl images, but think about it. Everyone on fit wants to increase their bench, everyone on /vp/ loves pokemon, everyone on /a/ has a waifu etc, etc. Veeky Forums is the only board where everyone on here hates people interested in the topic. It doesn't matter what you like, someone is going to tell you to kill yourself, every. single. fucking. thead's first post, without fail is that fucking "muh diary" meme. I swear to fucking god- lit is a shithole. I hate this place. I don't want to throw tumblr memery around, but this place is fucking toxic. Fuck all of you.

probably because we've read enough stuff to know how to deal with these silly problems people come with, but the ops never listen so now we just say "fuck off faggot"

It's real. It may be overdiagnosed in your shithole nation of the USA but that does not make it a fictional condition.
>If there are no physiological factors that can't be easily reversed without medical intervention then it's not a disease
ADHD is basically a brain damage, your brain does not produce enough dopamine on it's own thus it is easily bored and distracted, as well as several other parts of the brain that deal with organization and evaluation of risks and so on are basically inactive. Amphetamines is the only viable treatment right now as it raises the dopamine levels to that of a normal brain, but it is no cure.
All of this shit shows up on a brain scain. It is an actual physical thing that you can see with your own eyes.

youtube.com/watch?v=q3d1SwUXMc0

There's literally no such thing as ADHD

did south park tell you that or some other edgy cartoon?

Common sense. ADHD is an excuse for bad parenting and technology addiction, nothing more.

I don't do anything, video games, movies, series, etc. is a painful chore for me. I only read books because I feel productive that way, but I don't actually enjoy them.

The people like me are suicidal, why would someone who could stay alive and enjoy video games kill himself?
lmao so you are basically saying that someone who fucks 3 times a month is happier than someone who fucks 3 times a week? Nice logic, go get unborn.

Seems like you haven't played dota since you call this place fucking toxic.

Veeky Forums is actually legit. Literature results in knowledge, knowledge results in knowing how the world works. The world works shitty. Knowing that you are communicating with other worldfags makes you be toxic.

And I still see some constructive fags here and there at least.

Sounds like people with ADHD are mainly attracted to making excuses for their pathetic lives. It seems to be the main thing they are able to "focus" on.

>(you)

read I know you guys think you sound like very cool misanthropic free-thinkers that can pierce through the facade of lies of society maaaan when you say shit like that but you just sound ignorant.

And you sound retarded. I can do ad hom too.

Literally smash your computer

When my computer broke down 1 year ago it was a blessing, the first 2 days I wanted to kill myself but the next week I was the most productive guy I knew

I got actually sad when it came back working normally, but now I got a disciplined work schedule I try to follow most of the time so I'm alright

>I can ad hom too
Yeah, but you can't disprove . None of you faggots can, all you can do is lash out empty statements like "they just need a good ass whoppin' like my dad did with me!".

Ahaha you're so fucking pathetic. So desperate for excuses for your behavior. You'll probably be "depressed" and "no concentration!!!" till you die and you'll never realize that the only thing to blame is yourself. Must be bliss.

Haha, and there we go. Another hard-ass non-argument.

So you've given up? Pretty typical of "disorder" fags. Can't see anything through to the end. Sad.

Apparently being aware that you die is not just considered a disorder, but also a faked disorder.

Accusing others with mental illnesses is a perfect excuse for being retarded enough to not realize how the world works. And a perfect way to live in denial and delusion.

What a smart post. You sound like you must be very intelligent, friend. Care to share more pithy and observant wisdom with us?

You see, this is the point. It's irrelevant. We'll all die anyway. I don't even know why I was arguing until now.

Who hurt you, user? The world doesn't care, only your friends do... you do have friends, don't you?

>I can't really disconnect from the internet because I look up words and summaries non-stop.

This is a really bad way of reading.

Leave a bunch of books lying around and when you happen to notice one that triggers your ADD to say I want to read that right now, then you read that one until your ADD says I no longer want to read this right now and then you move on to something else.

Late reply but yeah, that's a good point.

University libraries are a different story entirely. Especially in the summer. Some are massive, and have entire floors often barely vacant. It's a good time if you live near one

I have BPD too

The chemical imbalance theory is a myth. It's just used to promote the pharma industry these days.

I am extremely insane.Yesterday I saw a random backpack on my porch and I started yelling and throwing things out of it in front of neighbors. I'm telling you because I'm pretty positive my symptoms are worse than yours/

I medical illness isn't herpes. If you're living in any other way then socially, physically, romantically and intellectually fulfilled then you don't get to say 'it's just my brain lol'

I've lived without internet. I did it because I went crazy a couple years ago, got hospitalized and had to live in basically a halfway house with crazy homeless crackheads (all of whom were incidentally black). I lived without internet then. Read all of the game of thrones books, Liar's Poker, a history of hedge funds (3 times), American Psycho and East of Eden.

You sound like a fucking idiot saying you can't live without internet.

Kelly Brogan was on JRE. She mentions the chemical imbalance myth (it's a myth. 100% not supported by science and this fact is what's currently accepted) and alludes to why no one 'blew this conspiracy wide open' - Money.

Money and a lack of knowledge. We know very little about nutrition and even less about the brain. It'll probably do you well in life to get out of the mindset of looking for an expert to tell you everything. An expert will be the first to tell you that there's a lot we don't know.

>read paragraph
>can't grasp it
>continue
>can't grasp subsequent paragraphs, nor the remainder of the events

great way of reading

What Plath book?

>kelly brogan
Straight from her website...
>Drug-based medicine has got it 100% wrong...
>...I found self-repair. Natural self-repair.
>Four and a half years and one pregnancy later, I’m symptom free. And prescription free.
>Ever since I stopped prescribing drugs to my patients, I have witnessed greater success, more reliable healing and more stunning recoveries than I had with medication.

Also, home births result in a 240% increased chance of baby death, and yet this idiot claims the "data shows there is no benefit for a hospital birth" on JRE. She claims humans have been giving birth naturally for hundreds of years, therefore, nothing bad would possibly happen to her while she was giving birth.

nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1501738?query=featured_home&

Medical professionals who think pharmaceuticals are the are inherently bad should have to disclose their conflict of interest before treating their patients. Smdh.

If you can't grasp a paragraph with a couple of words missing you're not fluent in the language.

I have pretty bad ADHD so what I do is multitask. I usually play some sort of easy-mode strategy game like Total War or Stellaris and throw on an audio-book. That way I can keep my eyes and hands focused on the game and my ears focused on the book. Dunno if that'll work for you but yeah, multi-tasking is where I'd start.

Read books that are fun.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jmwh.12172/abstract
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2742137/

Do you think a psychiatrist with access to medical journals would seriously put herself and her baby at that much risk?

On JRE she talked about how much she surfs pubmed and the like.

I don't know enough about statistics or the field to know which of those 3 studies is most sound, so I'd probably go for the safe option (in hospital) as a precaution. The fact that she doesn't address conflicting studies is kind of a red flag as well.

Look at all these fucking not-doctors telling people who have been dealing with something their entire lives that the medical condition they were diagnosed with doesn't exist.

I'm sure there's a consensus, but this doesn't matter.

She went to MIT and NYU and she is very cute.

The point is that there's clearly an alternative to pharmaceuticals. People aren't mean to just to stare at a computer all day.

This is the only good answer. I have ADD and I love reading. However, without my meds I just want to binge eat, do drugs and do antisocial shit. I mock everyone and everything and I laugh a lot. But I'm not happy; I'm restless, absent minded and miserable. I cannot read even though I try and very much want to.

Stimulants calm me and make me a better person.

There are alternatives, yes, but the alternatives are not always the best treatment option. I refuse to trust the opinions of someone who advocates against emergency C sections, and thinks that pharmaceuticals are inherently bad, especially so in regards to her opinions on the efficacy and safety of specific pharmaceuticals.

I think she also bought into the paleo meme which makes me question how much she researches potentially unsafe/unhealthy lifestyle choices before committing to them...

>He went to the (antiquated fucking place) in search of (antiquated item)

Oh OK so I'm not supposed to look up words I've never heard of due to the fact that they haven't been used for generations? Huh, really makes you think... Guess I'm not fluent in the language I've spoken all my life.