He's FAT. GET IT? HAHAHHAHHAHAHAAHHA

>he's FAT. GET IT? HAHAHHAHHAHAHAAHHA

Seems like you didn't get it.

Sixty pages in. This is the impression I'm getting so far.

The character hits too close to home

How can you misunderstand a book so badly?

>muh fortune's wheel
>muh hotdogs
>mug virginity
Sounds Veeky Forums

He's fat, and he's also socially inept, self-righteous, helpless without his mother, and oh yeah, a virgin. Sound like anybody you know, OP?

>muh Boethius
>muh geometry
>muh theology
>muh monarchy

One of my favorite books. I don't know how any active 4channer could dislike it.

>muh pyloric valve

great book t b h f aaaaam

>muh moorish dignity

A corker, an epic comedy, a rumbling, roaring avalanche of a book.

>4channer

I own this book, have read parts of it, and have been very impressed with the prose. Extremely impressed, actually. Is there a reason it isn't held in higher acclaim? Does the story suck or something?

It's regarded very highly. It won the freakin' Pulitzer Prize and Walker Percy loved it.

bump

Took me forever to get through this wet piece of shit.

File under that bizarre category of "Books that are supposed to be incredibly hilarious but are maybe meagerly funny at absolute best".

I don't know how anybody can subject themselves to this guy trying to write dialogue for any character in this book, let along Jones, who is basically a jive-talking Sambo.

This book is basically the "I Am The Walrus" of books.

Was the sword fight supposed to be a reference to something? I don't understand why he spent so much of the book building it up when it doesn't seem to be political. Why did he have to be a pirate for the climax?

>trying to rip on ACOD for the dialect of all things

You fucking pseud, do you have any idea how many accolades the book won specifically because of how accurately it transcribes Louisiana Yat?

I think you're missing the point of picaresque novels.

>muh ghastly trip to Baton Rouge

It's just a clown show, not literature. Fun for a little while I suppose but no substance.

Definitely not true. It's the thinly-veiled last stand of a man so contemptuous of society that his only recourse is to retreat into a posture of grandiosity and unbridled anger, knowing all the while that the only place to go from there is suicide or a mental hospital. It works so well because there can be no redemption for Ignatius. He has completely embraced his instincts and ideals and it has left him friendless, unemployed, hated, dismissed as bizarre, poor and headed for the psychiatric hospital. Do you seriously think he'll make it in New York with Myrna? No way. He'll just be a big clownish homeless shouting at the niggers and wetting himself in public without shame.

i wish comedic literature would get more respect. not all novels need to be gloom and doom. i think most aspiring authors forget that a book should be fun to read, or at least interesting enough to keep reading.

You are also missing that he is a masters grad student who writes manifestos and was mistaken for a pedophile in the first few pages. That's hilarious right not something that would happen to someone who frequents this site.

OP here. I have read more of the book and I must say I regret my previous sentiment. I now enjoy the book much more.
It is one of the faster reads I have experienced. I can read for ten minutes and have cleared at least ten pages (perhaps not fast for everyone, but it's fast for me). Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just the low number of words per page and relatively large print?

It's pretty dialogue heavy, which I always find makes for easier reading.

No one talks like that.

Does anyone actually believe this novel is cursed? Many people have tried to adapt it and they always fail to do so because of something tragic.

Not OP but I can agree with this. Some reason dialogue is so much easier to read quicker.

It's not cursed, curses are superstitious nonsense. It's actually that Toole's ghost is literally haunting it.

Yeah, it's an old industry joke. Apparently there was a really good stage adaptation last year with Nick Offerman as Ignatius. Would love to have seen it, but don't live in the US and I don't think it was filmed.

Nick Offerman as Ignatius is genius casting.

i thought it got pity awards since the author blew his brains out

Why is Ignatius such a big fan of Boethius? He's always blaming things on Lady Fortune which is about as anti-Boethian as you can get.

I unironically follow his advice about starting with Boethius and everything else.

Terrible book honestly, don't know why it get's so much praise