Pho

Used to be memed quite hard on here just like a year ago or something, but it seems to have fallen off the board.
But winter is coming and its "nicely" cold and foggy outdoors, so I feel like cooking some nice, warm soup for my sunday meal.
Thus, I wanna just phock my shit up, famalam…

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y3nj5EqH0z4
youtube.com/watch?v=UgqOVTfrWLc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But the last time I tried, it was just OK, but nothing special.
Tasted vaguely asian/phoeye but not like what I would have expected for a chicken pho, had I ordered one at a good viet place.
Looks wise, it was OK (see pic above), if you ignore the fact that it was served in a non-asian plate and with a western spoon.
I have nowadays acquired a set of asian spoons, so that issue is solved already.

Here's what I used for it. What am I missing/should I add?

Your stock is fairly weak, in order to produce something decent at least, you HAVE to stuff your stock with a fucktons of beef bones and ribs, otherwise it will always feel weak compared to proper ones

Any good recipies?
I used some cookbook that I had borrowed but can'T get, so I'm just going to go by feels and some ideas but I wouldn'T mind a proper recipe.

I thought pho stock is supposed to be kinda light?
All the recipes I found ignore bones, especially in the case of chickens.
But I'm supposed to blacken the ginger and the onions I put in, which is hard without a gas grill.

Light in terms of grease/fatty elements yeah, but heavy in Flavor.

I guess I could add more meat and bones and do heavy skimming, but the ones I had always had heavy non-meaty flavours. Maye I'll ask for some chicken bones when I head to hte farmers market tomorrow.
I have gotten some more spices (i.e. black cardamom) but I'd rather not dump a ton of them into the stock and hope for the best.

I don't see anise, unless I'm just not looking hard enough. Thai basil and bay are also flavours that you will notice not being there.

What's in the thin jar near the paper towel?

I'm basically doing Hungarian Pho for dinner tonight. Same same, but different different.

>What's in the thin jar near the paper towel?
anise
But I have switched that out for star anise now.
Thai basil I have, but I think you just add this fresh, at the end.
Never read about adding bay leaves, but adding the asian ones could make sense.

Rice noodles are trash. Ramen is superior for this reason alone.

If it calms you, I will cut the ingredients with a superior, folded 10000 times, japanese knife.
And Ramen is still on my list but I simply don't have to time for it. Shit's even more complicated than Pho.

I dont give a shit about nipcucks I just don't like rice noodles.

This local place MoPho is great, has a much meatier broth than most pho places. Plus they offer some of the best add-ons for pho. It's the only place that offers head cheese or duck confit, and both are amazing. Plus they offer these crispy pork spring rolls for $1 and they're pretty great.

def need roasted beef bones for pho.

staranis and asian cinnamon, also much more onion, also you need herbs for garnish

Negro, that's just caldo de pollo

Did they really try a play on words with the name but use the wrong pronounciation?

even for chicken pho?
Already got star anus. Which onion? the fresh one to add to the bowl, or the "roasted" one to boil with the stock?

roasted, one onion isnt enough, ginger is also too little

Not that guy but every pho place in my town is some stupid pun

My local pho place has a option called the "Pho King".

I always add at least two stems to the broth. It's more of a depth-of-flavour thing than anything up-front and aromatic, like the fresh leaves steeping in the bowl.

Sydney Ausfag here, pho can be fucking delicious. I haven't made one myself but I've been to two stores that had really fucking good pho.

Also, it's pretty cheap.

youtube.com/watch?v=y3nj5EqH0z4

To me it's really overrated. Another one of those dishes white people would have to pretend they have some culture or ethnic experience.
It doesn't taste like much to me. I had a ban mi as well and it tasted like shit.

Every time I see a menu like that with that fucking font is pisses me off so much. Every place uses that font and it looks like dogshit.

Will try that.

>ginger is also too little
Most recipies I found just add it in big chunks, but I guess if I cut it into slices i will also get more flavour from it.

No Galangal
Using Powdered cinnamon instead of sticks
too few onions
no beef bones
no beef tendons
No star anise
no cardamom pods

t b h you're barely making pho with those recipes at all

Bun bo hue > pho

>No Galangal
Hard to get
>Using Powdered cinnamon instead of sticks
that has been rectified
>too few onions
as has this
>no beef bones
>no beef tendons
It's supposed to be chicken pho.
But I got a bunch of chicken bones from the farmers market now. Should I break them/ chop them into smaller, open pieces, or just throw them in whole?
>No star anise
>no cardamom pods
I also have those now. Black and green cardamom.

Mmm mm with some blood jello

>I always add at least two stems to the broth. It's more of a depth-of-flavour thing than anything up-front and aromatic, like the fresh leaves steeping in the bowl.
does this also apply to the cilantro stems?

>you HAVE to stuff your stock with a fucktons of beef bones and ribs
Yes.
Pho broth is meant to be incredibly rich with a deep flavor. You develop this with bone stock.

Go to a local butcher, or even a grocery store if they have a butcher there, and ask for beef bones.
Roast them in the oven then throw them into a pot with your veg and some water then cook it for a few hours.

Holy shit I just made a batch last night.

Couldn't find pork or beef blood, considered using liver as a substitute but abandoned the idea.

why is everyone talking about beef bones when OP is clearly trying to make a chicken Phô?

youtube.com/watch?v=UgqOVTfrWLc