MFW we are simply incapable of original thought

>TFW not smart enough for original thoughts.

This is soul crushing. The only thing we are able to do is synthesise or "re-invent" what has already been discovered.

I've heard that before.

It doesn't stand up to scrutiny, we are not significantly unlike those who preceded us. Someone had to invent or discover something in the first place for others to manipulate and reinterpret it, if it was possible then, and it by necessity must have been, then it is now as well.

But... that's the point! There is never an original idea! We are only a bunch of imitators showing our own perception of the Carpenter's chair.

This is a literature board full of kids

Stop being a faggot, OP. How do you think Hegel felt, writing in the footsteps of Thomas Aquinas? We only have the time we are born into, same as any past generation. Our 21st century has so many amazing technological challenges for philosophers and ethicists. There are more opportunities for original thought than we've had in centuries. You are more you're sounding like a whiny ignorant baby. Git gud, brainlet.

Is this not the meaning of research, brother? Are you or are you not a scholar, therefore? You must develop an ethos of craftsmanship for yourself and put in that work; it's the only way. As evidence of this, I cite to you the well-known fact that the notion of an "Idea" (eidos) in the Platonic philosophy is derived from a craftsman's blueprints or plans.

>sit down to think about something
>have crazy idea
>oh shit no one's ever thought of this before
>wait nope some Greek dude beat me by a few thousand years

>tfw full of original thoughts
>tfw have a handful of notions that no one else has held before
The internet has changed society into something it was never before, something that people just a few decades ago could have never anticipated.
You have the opportunity to find corners of philosophy and psychology that only you, now, can find, and they're right before you, you just need to get over the part of your mind that's telling you not to be autistic and overanalyze internet cancer.

If you are an avid internet user, frequently partake in online-only communities and have done so for years already, then you have the same potential to turn into a pioneer of the human mind as the Greeks had ages ago.

/thread

I don't see how that has to do with OP's point. He can't come up with unique ideas because he's not smart enough to, the same thing goes for people from ages ago, the big name Greeks were evidently smart dudes.

>He can't come up with unique ideas because he's not smart enough to
Yeah but then he says "we", implying us as a race.

Have you ever thought that complete originality is plagued with disasters and failure?
Just to give you an insight, about 90% of innovation projects fail.

Rebranding and using different perspectives is where the real genius is at.

Source?

I'm not that posted, but if I had to guess I'd say its probably from Godel, Escher, Bach.

That's quite the paraphrasing

The Physicists, Dürrenmatt
Decent drama on the power of ideas

>want to piece together a coherent ideology
>every existing ideology's proud blindness and unwillingness to acknowledge their own faults disgusts me so much that I end up with no strong convictions beyond being in a limp-wristed, watered-down middleground
>want to be a radical and die violently as a martyr for my beliefs but I can't find anything I believe in strongly enough

believe in yourself

You sound like me, I'd even use the same painting for a similar-minded post
This is essentially the answer I've come up with, since we've been cursed to be members of a society whose traditional cultural values have become supplanted by the worship of capital and media sideshows, the only thing left is to divorce ourselves from the current of the zeitgeist and try to find our own meaning, create our own virtues to live up to. I've personally found a bit of refuge in Stoic ideas even though I'm not a deist, and for all the faults of America that we perceive it's hard to argue that there's a dearth of opportunities to explore for the individual. Maybe we'll be around to stand above the ashes, maybe that collapse is still in the making. There's nothing much else to do except kill yourself, because we only exist in the present, even if the present alienates us.

That's almost exactly the same conclusion I came to, user
Good luck out there

He was right though

Sometimes I want to just gather a bunch of dudes with this mindset and see what we can come up with together

Although I deviated from you guys' mindset about halfway through.

I don't know that feel. I constantly have fresh ideas but I'm too scared to post them because someone might steal my shit and actually write a thesis or publish a book on it. I've been writing critiques of the entire philosophical canon for the past two years on Veeky Forums without ever hitting that post button and it has been incredibly helpful in getting this stuff on notepad because I would just brood and dismiss this or that idea after a few days out of lack of somebody to hypothetically share it with if it wasn't for you. Before I came to lit I used to imagine how I presented my ideas to an overly critical old friend of mine but he has officially left the building. Someday I will go to university and btfo the entire western and eastern tradition and north and south too. That is my myth. Thanks you Air Jordy.

So? Pretty much everything takes from something that existed before it. There is not a single artist who was entirely original. Originality isn't the fucking point of art. If you focus on that like an autist, you will never get anywhere.

Almost me, except I'm already at uni and officially begun my campaign

>Giving a newbie the prod credentials in his training docs
>Not having backups
His employers were retarded tbqh