Why the fuck is The Handmaid's Tale such a big deal all of a sudden?

Other urls found in this thread:

slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2014/12/creationism_poll_how_many_americans_believe_the_bible_is_literal_inerrant.html
discord.gg/a43Q6UG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Drumpf.

Because it's the acceptable face of misandry and they made it into a tv show.

There's a television show, starring that chick from Mad Men that's ugly in an attractive way.

Huh?

Its to Feminists what the Gulag Archipelago is to /pol/tards, a scary fantasy story made as a hiding place for justifying your beliefs.

Elisabeth Moss

>Gulag Archipelago
>Fantasy

Fuck off. I love how commies think its fantasy based off Solzhenitsyn's butt blasted wife, who was controlled by the KGB.

>gulags
>fantasy
Hm...

You understand that it's popular now because there's a TV show made on it. This happens a lot. What was the real reason you made this thread?

The TV show, while a bitlot ham handed, is well shot and acted, and women like it because it makes them feel like a victim and powerful at the same time.

Maybe if you weren't a filthy frogposter I'd tell you.

>and powerful at the same time
I haven't watched it, but doesn't that go entirely against the point of the book?

Because it's looking more and more like a frightening reality in the age of Trump

Speak truth to the masses.

Every episode there is a tiny piece of "resistance" where you can stand up and cheer YAY GIRLLLLLLLLS

source: I watched it with my wife

>gulag archipelago is a fantasy
funny how blatant commies deny the gulags like blatant nazis deny the holocaust

It's really awful compared to the book.

>frightening reality in the age of Trump
>an unpopular president who's executive orders are blocked by judges and who cant pass legislation
vs
>a totalist theocracy council in a militarized society

>In the near future, the totalitarian and purportedly Christian fundamentalist government of Gilead rules the former United States amidst an ongoing civil war.[1] Society is organized by power-hungry leaders along a new, militarized, hierarchical regime of fanaticism and newly-created social classes, in which women are brutally subjugated, and by law are not allowed to work, own property, control money, or read.[1] Worldwide infertility has resulted in the conscription of the few remaining fertile women in Gilead—called handmaids, according to an "extremist interpretation" of a Biblical account.[1] They are assigned to the homes of the ruling elite, where they must submit to ritualized rape with their male masters in order to become pregnant and bear children for those men and their wives.

>Offred (Elisabeth Moss), is the Handmaid assigned to the home of Gileadan Commander Fred Waterford (Joseph Fiennes) and his wife Serena Joy (Yvonne Strahovski). She is subject to the strictest rules and constant scrutiny; an improper word or deed on her part can lead to her execution. Offred, who is named after her male master like all Handmaids, can remember the "time before", when she was married with a daughter and had her own name and identity, but all she can safely do now is follow the rules of Gilead in the hope that she can someday live free and reunite with her daughter. The Waterfords, key players in the rise of Gilead, have their own conflicts with the realities of the society they have helped create.

Woah. Its like real life dude! Its so hauntingly similar to the Drumpf presidency I am legitimately scared!

Wrong, sweetie. Its another dumbass dystopian written by a woman, forced by women because the author is a woman and the message is feminist, is a poor attempt at allegory and has little to no literary merit.

it's just like harry potter tbqhwyf

truth desu senpai

Why can't women participate in politics without using pop culture references as metaphors for the issues they care about?

Anyone else hate it when a book is really good but doesn't get a lot of exposure then suddenly a TV show or movie adaptation is made then everyone likes to pretend they were huge fans all along except they discovered the authors works through the TV/movie adaptation?

I just bought a signed first edition first print of Brief History of Seven Killings hoping that this trend continues.

GoT goes for 6k same thing.

Do you really need to ask?

It's nowhere close to reality. Simply paranoia. In what universe would this society be made. In fact it would fail if it even came into existence.

how I feel about ASOUE right now. I loved that series so much as a kid and now everyone says they did.

I guess I'd be fine with it if the people were actually fans, but they are people who watched the adaptation first and usually have the wrong perception of what makes the books good

I'd do her, 2bh

I could see Seven Killings making a pretty good HBO documentary.

>ASOIAF's fanbase used to be pretty decent
I really hate how the show brought in all the Harry Potter tier fans. It really goes to show how much normies ruin everything.

The more and more people that support Trump, the more that this is a problem. We may have judges who block his stuff now, but Trump regularly attacks government officials and the media for getting in his way.

If Trump supporters had free reign they absolutely would use the Bible to determine legislation and force women into traditional roles again.

>In what universe would this society be made.

The universe where the GOP is unchallenged

the false narrative that women are oppressed

like when antifa rioters are protected by the police as they smash shop windows

why does lit get the same threads every couple days? with a thread with this exact question like three days ago. get more interesting ideas guys

>The more and more people that support Trump, the more that this is a problem. We may have judges who block his stuff now, but Trump regularly attacks government officials and the media for getting in his way.
Even if this was completely true, it doesnt change the reality. He is a secularist know nothing (in the political sense) robber baron that thus far has failed to do anything. we have seen the same thing before during the nixon years, the great depression and the gilded age. Applying inappropriate labels to him, like theocrat, just makes those in the middle roll their eyes and vote republican.

At this point, as an independent, I would rather have Trump than Pelosi or Schumer.

Decent bait

Women forced into traditional roles isn't exactly a horrible dystopia, it's a regular social system that existed or exists still everywhere and it was/is pretty good.

>If Trump supporters had free reign they absolutely would
>If Trump supporters had free reign

>If
>If
>Implying traditionalism is bad.

I hope you also realise that only a very, very small minority of Christians are Christian fundamentalists. Most people see it as a sort of allegory or metaphorical text.

This.

The TV series, and Donald Trump. Even though Trump is kind of retarded, women 50 years in the future may realize he was at least right about the Muslim immigration thing, since e.g. France will probably be a caliphate by then.

>Most people see it as a sort of allegory or metaphorical text.
Please post some proof to back up your claim.

Welp, that infographic you didn't even provide the source for sure proved me wrong!

slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2014/12/creationism_poll_how_many_americans_believe_the_bible_is_literal_inerrant.html
My bad.

You're a fucking idiot

What does this prove other than that .001% (3,000/321,000,000) of Americans are dumb and have a lazy understanding of bargain brand Protestantism?
You could find dumber survey results. 1/4 of Americans surveyed couldn't identify the country from which they gained their independence a few years back, for example.

>leftists think Trump is going to establish an oppressive theocracy
>meanwhile they want to import millions of muslims who want to establish sharia law

If anything Trump is trying to prevent this from becoming a reality.

I honestly can't believe there are people who dislike Trump. He's changed the whole world, everything is more interesting and he himself is one of the funniest people in 20 years. I mean yeah you might disagree with him, but how can you not enjoy this now 2 and a half year ride?

'Literal' has a problem here because Protestant take this differently than Catholics and since the Bible isn't 1 book but 66-73, again depending on whose version it is, you'd have to ask for each particular one and then for parts of the story which are or are not literal. Genesis for Catholics for example dogmatically necessitates the real personhood of Adam and Eve, but the rest of it is interpreted differently between Augustine, Aquinas and Rahner.

I would. But she is a Scientologist.

Rhymes with lose

Does the book have that stupid inner monologue voiceover like the show does? I've only ever seen female authors do this.

you don't read a lot then

You actually filled out a CAPTCHA just to say this

You're a few months too late. It's just a lazy attempt at cashing in on a hot topic that even the people who care have forgotten about by now.

I have a pass :)

Strongly disagree. I'm four episodes in and it's amazingly good TV. Interesting seeing how it differs from the book though- in a way the show feels more conservative in its implications, because she's mainly concerned with seeing her daughter again. In the book she barely mentions the daughter (seems to have given up any hope of seeing her) and thinks about sex a whole lot more.

That's 'writing toward an audience (and executive board)', not an implication of the writing.

Was there ever a really good book with a popular TV adaptation?

*tips ovaries*

>mfw he wasn't being ironic

Back to red.dit, please

the gulags were a paradise compared to living under this system.

Why would you make a TV show of something generally found unpopular in the first place? Dumb frogposter.

Is this supposed to be allegorical? If so, it's pretty bad, like Harry Potter-tier
>You can't have the characters just announce how they're feeling! That makes me angry!

t. virgin

> xe said while enjoying the comforts of modern capitalist society, to which xe contributes almost nothing

Gulag Archipelago was made up shit published by a butthurt anti-semite.

I'm sick of it getting peddled on this board as some gospel against muh ebil gommunism.

the enforcement of a new status quo in post-monastic Russia required the inhuman treatment of millions of men

you don't have to take it so personally

People denigrate America for being a cultural vacuum of consumerism, but has Canada ever offered the world anything of greater merit than Margaret Atwood's limp shits?

Abortion seems to be a big part of it. Not being able to kill babies leads directly to dystopia filled with women as slaves. But a society of women who are eager to kill their children is supposed to be a utopia, or something.

Because it's a shallow 'dystopia' that dopes can write about, and bigger dopes can then mime those articles. oh wow it is even more true now OMG TRUMP SUCKS I HAVE A VAGINA
Damn shit, I am sick of this trash. Not only is it a negative fantasy, but it's anti-religious propaganda. oh wow tradition sux prutians sux fuck america. As if one of the most important authors in the English language (much more important than fucking Atwood, trash that isn't even taught in Canadian schools [at least not yet]) wasn't a damn Puritan.

I'm trans you fucking cislord

Creationism isn't fundamentalism. Fundamentalism is a meaningless term, it's nonsense made up by upset seculars.

Absolute hysteria. The protestantism you people whine about are very new and are far from 'fundamentalist' in terms of theology.

all of the posts in this thread were made by the same person

lit never change

The worst part? That this guy probably hates the nazi larpers who deny the holocaust ever happened

True. If a moron think the earth is 8000 years old doesn't mean that he wants to kill all non-christians and create a theocracy

Huh? I don't think there's much in there which hasn't already been carried out somewhere in the world, or isn't happening now. Maybe the very specific handmaid arrangement, but that's a pretty short step from a concubine system.

y tho

I think Veeky Forums might be dying, and in an attempt to keep the remaining userbase, nipmoot is recycling old material. /pol/ thinks it's advanced shilling, I'm not convinced.
This guy notices it.

because humans love to suffer. This is why dystopic fiction sells so well shit is easy to write and normies eat it up. then you add women to the target audience and put them up against an oppressive religious regime that would be considered a completely ludacris idea in real life and now you got bestselling classic feminist litereature.

Because of muh binge watching.

Plus, people can watch it and then act like they've read it.

This is how the minds of liberals function today.

They are shill threads, paid posters that here to spread liberal propaganda.

Political memes essentially

Was it in the book that they were going to sell the hand maidens (or their services)? I read the book, but I cant remember that part

Branfellpf Brumpf

prove your obscene claim you fuckwit.

95% of people are humorless or cannot see the absurdity of politics and treat it as an extension of their identity, so they can't look at Trump and realize that most of it is just banter or a piss take

Memes. My question is is it actually a good book

it's too bad dfw didn't live to see it, or holy shit, can you imagine if hunter thompson was still alive? thats a lesson for u kids, never kill urself cuz the next president could be one for ages, seriously, being an america in the age of trump, how can u not enjoy this shit?

discord.gg/a43Q6UG

FUCK DRUMPF AND FUCK WHITE PEOPLE

Yes.

Watched the first episode of the show because I couldn't get my hands on the book

Didn't seem very interesting, personally I was unable to relate or draw comparison to the real world

As a foreigner I really don't see what all the whining is about. Just hysteria.

>Most people see it as a sort of allegory or metaphorical text.

Inquisite yourself

Back to the top with you!