Eternal /COFFEE/ Thread

It’s gunna be a cold weekend. What will you be drinking?

Friendly reminder to never stir a brewing french press.

Also, recipes for anything involving hot chocolate and coffee would be appreciated.

Just got some of Deathwish's odinforce blend in the mail yesterday, gonna see how it is in a French press.

>Friendly reminder to never stir a brewing french press.
But you stir initially after pouring the water, right?

No, press down to submerge everything. Stirring cools the water and slows extraction makes a weak cup etc

How fresh are the beans? What are shipping costs like?

>tfw uneven grind from shitty electric blade grinder

Why's that?

Can anyone recommend a good manual grinder that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars? I recently found myself in a power outage and I was smashing beans with a mallet and a rolling pin. It was kind of shitty and made me rethink my plan of getting a mortar and pestle for these situations.

LOL COVFEFE DRUMF EETARD

According to their website it's bagged to order, no idea how fresh the beans actually are.

Shipping is free, using a "student" discount for Amazon prime even though I graduated in 2014.

I have cute little neoprene thermal jackets for my presses and I like to stir lots, then put a saucer hat on them while they steep.

Jus go to your local unk/ charity shop and buy one of those old wooden ones for 10 shekels.

Any roaster worth a damn prints the roast date on the package.

Nespresso is a legitimate brewing method

In 2017 that old piece of shit costs more than a good new one

Yeah, I don't ever see those at thrift shops. second hand manual grinders are really rare where I live because the older couple generations all drank shitty shit like pre-ground Folgers. Shit like that would be marked up higher than new ones in faggy antique shops here.

Stiring is introducing room temp air into your brew.

I just been to our local junk shop in germany and they go for like 5-10€, still in great condition, made in the 50-90s. Sad to hear that you can't get them over there. Maybe some small redneck junk market or at some gift-for-the-poor kinda place, dunno how you call them. Or craigslist. Or check out european ebay, I guess even with shipping in might be cheaper.

The only expansiv (30-60€) ones are those wall grinders, which are pretty pretty desu.

Gonna be drip-exclusive this weekend. I was roasting ethiopian, colombian and brazilian high quality beans this week at work. Have high hopes for ethiopia, tweaked a little roast profile for more emphasis on fruit notes.

If you drink anything else you are a poser and not
very bright

I'd totally buy a cheap old one if we had them here. But in the US, we drank really shitty coffee from WWII up to the 1970's-1980's. There really aren't any around that aren't actual antiques. I'm afraid my best option is to buy a new one.

Hell, even today the majority of Americans still buy pre-ground coffee.

I exclusively drink k-cups and Starbucks

I've only ever really tried this brand. I know it's not quite as flavorful as fresh brewed coffee but I like instant because it's easy to make it really strong how I like it. I don't always want to make real espresso so this is a decent substitute.

What I always drink, a litre or two of drip coffee a day

Thrift shops haven't been good since they started whoring themselves out to private companies to buy up all their niche resellable shit wholesale, leaving only trash like clothes and furniture.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

>buy coffee
>it tastes really good
>enjoy every last cup of it
>run out
>go to buy same exact coffee again
>it tastes like burnt shit
I don't fucking get it, why is every brand so inconsistent between batches?
Even high end pretentious shit that costs $15 for 12oz is guilty of this shit.
I only ever buy cheap coffee these days, the chance of getting an actually good tasting coffee for the price is basically the same whether you buy the cheapest supermarket shit or microroaster garbage,

>mfw my state pushes the k-cup meme.

>favorite coffee is turkish coffee
>closest turkish restaurant is 10 miles from me
Is it easy to make at home, I haven't tried yet?

Coffee I made this afternoon

Looks like shit, why is it orange
Just get Starbucks ffs hipsters

tasted like shit too. It's the new beans I bought. Going back to unfair trade beans.

Picked up a bag of this. I normally buy their Heritage blend (which is a rated one notch to the right of 'classic'), which I have daily as a triple shot cortado. And I enjoy it immensely, but I felt like trying something different this week. Looking forward to trying their take on classic Italian dark roasts.

Looks damn good

How is that over caffeinated coffee? Want to try it out of curiosity but I'm too chicken shit that'll tear a hole in my stomach. But I already get my coffee plain black anyways so idk.

Literally the best coffee I've ever had

Do people drink the whole thing?
I get the small sometimes and while I enjoy it a lot, I also get sick of the flavor toward the end, and I couldn't imagine drinking more of it.

That sounds annoying just from the name. How can a variety of bean have a hipster name and not mention the country of origin? Is this some kind of shit blend being sold to fat, Norse loving virgins by sneaky hipsters?

Hario Skelton or Porlex (or any Porlex knock-off from Amazon)

Cold brew is good enough for anybody unless you're autistic.
And you know you can heat it up, right?

I want to give you all my crema

God Tier Roasters: Stumptown, Heart, Bow & Arrow, Blue Bottle, Ritual, Camber, Verve

Why is there so much creme compared to my moka pot?
How did you brew it?

Reminder dark roast blends are disgusting and you're disgusting if you drink them.

I know why dark roasts exist, what I don't know is why people keep buying them?
French roast was initially invented to salvage water-damaged coffee cargo.

That makes so much sense. Thanks for the insight, virtually every 'first wave' coffee company serves up dark roast. Personally I can't stand blends as it is, too many notes they basically taste like t.v. static.

It's a brikka. It has a weighted valve keeping the brew from rising until the desired pressure of I believe 6 bars is reached. At this point the entire liquid should come to the top within a couple of seconds while frothing.
The result depends on the amount of water and ground coffee you use (neitger should be below the recommended amount, arguably even slightly above), the fineness of your grind, and the beans you use (this can make a huge difference) along with various other factors.

With the Moka you won't be able get any crema I believe since it doesn't come with a weighted valve.

That's a brikka pot and that's not real crema it never makes it t the cup

Best brew method for max crema?

espresso

*blocks your path*

Runs in the direction of nearest single origin bean roaster

Hello is this the Starbucks general?

Only buy their coffees on the far right of that scale

>stumptown & blue bottle
>relevant

Please. Maybe 5 years ago. The rest of the list looks fine, but I'd add Tim Wendelboe, George Howell, Talor & Jörgen, and Coffee Collective

I love mcd coffee

the lining up at the drive thru, the ordering, i love it

driving home with a hot cup is so comfy.

it only got better as of late when this qt started working at my regular mcd

idk why but she started talking with me. she said i should download the mcdonald app to save money on all those coffees. i laughed and thanked her

and then everytime i went back shed chide me for not getting the app and wasting money. possible shill? but its fun. shes very pretty.

sad thing is that i have no idea what to say to her. i feel bad for her working at a drive thru. she looks to be my age but I just feel awkward sayinf anyrhing more than a few words and a "see you, thanks"

I made a pot of coffee this morning and had a cup, stayed home instead of going to my class this morning to work on a paper that's due this afternoon, go back to the kitchen to see my roommate pouring out my half a pot of coffee to make his own
also, he never makes a full pot, just enough for him
Just went to the kitchen as he made his pot, said "alright" loud enough for him to hear me with my mug in my hand and went back to my room

Im just using a regular Mr coffee, thinking about getting an Aeropress cause I miss the semiesspresso I used to drink. Also thinking of getting a small drip machine for my room now

I want a brikka so bad, but I have a perfectly functional Moka pot. My frugalness keeps me from buying it.

And I thought I was pretentious. I'm any case, thanks for the roasters to check out.

I have 1L of milk and I'll figure out how to make a fucking leaf latte art if it's the last thing I do this weekend so help me god
oh since I'm here, can I get away with it by only using single shots of espresso for practice? I don't want to water coffee and do doubles every time

>functional moka pot
That's an oxymoron.

As an anarchist who likes workers co-operatives (neither capitalism nor communism) this pisses me off. You see shit called "Coffee Collective" or maybe a cutesy clothes shop called "Style Collective" and they're never run as actual fucking collectives. It should be a protected term, like Champagne or whatever.

Hm. Thanks. I think the Skeleton looks kind of cheapie and reviewers say it has some uneven grind issues, so I don't see that being a hell of a lot better than going caveman with my rolling pin. The Porkfux looks like a better device, however, the hopper capacity of the larger one is a disappointing 30g. My typical single cup of coffee is around 35g of beans. Any recommendations for the plethora of knockoffs? Feels kinda dopey spending more than $50 on a backup grinder I'm probably only going to use 10 times a year.

>Stirring cools the water and slows extraction makes a weak cup etc
>Stiring is introducing room temp air into your brew.

That's bait.

I just can't be bothered to stir, when a slight press down and back up achieves the same, but even Bodum recommends stirring.

>tfw there's a layer of grease on my coffee
is there any reason for beans to be this greasy?
should I get a chemex instead?

This
The first couple sips are heaven then I hate it

My french press medium roast comes out red kinda

Have you never taken a chem class or a baking class?

It’s not bait.

after 3 failed attempts I can confirm that without the sleeve thingy, the 2015 gaggia classic's wand is shit and makes an awful lot of noise. Either that or I'm still really bad at it, after doing exactly the same as in all instruction videos

There are in fact people who claim Moka Pots are nicer than Brikka Pots in terms of flavour. But even if we consider them equal, I'd say it's not worth the extra money.

The Skelton may not be the most even grinder in the world but comparing it to rolling pin is silly, they're nowhere near that bad. Just type coffee grinder in Amazon, sort them by rating (4* and up) and check which one that isn't the Porlex is best. It changes from country to country, should be able to get one for under $20

A quick stir will not drop the temp by any measurable factor and agitation (along with evenly distributing the grounds and breaking up the "crust") increases extraction significantly.

Why do so many people talk out of their ass?

Could you explain what that chart is saying as if I'm a six year old?

They all suck. Buy a LIDO.

Aergrind works too for cheaper. Having owned both I can attest the grind is identical.

I own a Breville SmartDose Pro or whatever it's called. But I want to know what the chart is reporting about it in difference to the Virtuoso. It was a impulse buy at a restaurant supply store that was having a sale. I think it works well enough I'm no competition brewer.

Pouring hot water over the ground coffee stirs it enough. O are you seriously one of those retards which pours water in first and than tries to stir the grounded beans in?

Doesn't matter as long as I have my MemeTube™

What's wrong with the Aeropress?

Press or Moka for medium roasts like Huehue and Malabar?

aeropress is cash

stop being a dick

are you employed by mokka?

>Bought a $200+ hand grinder
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I love the Moka for Huehue. Brings out an amazing combination of Moka-ness (only way I can describe it) and the chocolatey Huehue

Stirring the grinds allows them to stay on the lower part of the filter rather than stick to the edges therefore allowing the water to pass through the entirety of the coffee compared to just half the sediment sticking to the walls and not doing anything.

So you're the retard.

french press is only just above instant coffee tier

>stirring is a meme

cant believe someone could be bothered to measure ALL the little coffee grounds to see which ones where bigger

>drinking the caffeinated jew

I find bustelo awesome for brownies, gravy pan drippings, or other places you want to cook with coffee.

It's a terrific _cuban_ style burned rich espresso, does exactly what it is intended to do. I stir in a teaspoon into hot microwaved milk, and sweeten to taste. Instant cafe con leche. I might stir in a teaspoon extra. I might also add it to Luker chocolate and make a mocha.

Who the fuck sells descaler in town?

All you need is a bunch of different sized sieves and a scale

just use vinegar you dumb baka
many specialized products are literal scams trying to prey on people like you
there's pitfalls exist in every hobby and pastime

Amazon. If you're going the diy route, citric acid or lemon juice is better than vinegar because it won't leave a smell.

So how do I use lemon juice on a kettle?
Do I just let it sit, or do I boil the lemon juice?

$180 and it was worth every penny

Nothing wrong. I love my MemeTube ™ squeezed fresh MemeCoffee ™

I was at a friend's place the other week, and they made me a cup using Bustelo's grounds. I was surprised at how much I liked it, probably the best pre-ground coffee I've encountered

Oh haha great joke user you're so comedic.