Co-workers are talking about books

>Co-workers are talking about books

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/178527.Nigger
amazon.co.uk/Desires-Wolfman-Complete-Werewolf-Collection/dp/1624930409/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, what books are they talking about?

>coworkers are talking

I don't know, I was off steaming hams in another room and got distracted by the aurora borealis.

>MFW I always get the urge to sperg out and name drop books to look smart, even when the people discussing weren't even talking to me or were open to me joining the discussion.

>co-workers are sharing poetry
>rupi kaur gets quoted

i start reciting poetry sometimes when i'm drunk.

>>Co-workers

The aurora borealis, in the middle of Jun, located entirely in your kitchen?

>What kind of books do you read?
I don't know how to respond to this without sounding like a cunt
Usually I laugh and tell them "the boring shit you read in english class"

Happens to us all user.

>coworkers talk about how much they love steven king
>i smirk to myself knowing immediately that i am better than them
>accidentally misquote Harold Bloom
>"steven king books are like the harry potter series for adult children"
>user, why don't you like steven king?
>mfw ive never read a word
>I'm just hating on it because someone else did
>I realize I'm a pseud
>start reading more pedestrian lit...starting with DFW's top 10 list

Now I unironically enjoy michael crichton and Steven king and the like

>coworkers read auto-biographies of living celebrities

Is there anything more low. At least the guy who reads stuff about Ronaldo, also is well versed in history and we sometimes BTFO the other collegues with out superior knowledge.

yes

may i see it?

No

well user you are an odd fellow, but i must say, you steam a good ham

>reciting poetry
>not passionately reciting passages from Elder Zosima's chapter of The Brothers Karamazov while embracing your coworkers and staining their clothes with your tears, begging them to forgive you your despicable soul and to love one another wholly and selflessly
It's like you guys don't even socialize

either way you might wanna off yourself

Yes

>co-workers shit talk about every trump tweet and quote reddit posts

the shining sucked donkey nuts. crichton is fun. timeline was the shit. quandom foam makes me roam!

> coworkers

Try it.

Honestly there's nothing more peaceful in life than experiencing someone who knows what they're talking about. And people can surprise you.

This is the only annoying thing. Not because I support Trump, but because of how sheepish people are.

No one likes name-droppers.

>coworkers try to engage me in conversation

It should go to stand that that you should try to be friendly, but people that never talk are liked even less.

Hey, I saw this thread on /mu/ yesterday!

Haha, those freaking NORMIES, amirite?

That sounds like a cuntish way of saying it. Like you’re talking down to them. Just say you like history or something.

work at a church, no one reads in this place

>I like classics, how about you?
There we go, you fucking sperg

Just say you like classics, user. I sometimes even add "I know I'm probably a bit snobbish saying this, but..."

Really? I know a couple of priests, both are extremely well read.

>co-workers are talking about books
>won't engage b/c you feel superior

>normies are awful!
>why don't people read?
>I'm so alone

kill self

Happened to me

How hard is it to become a priest? I'm going to die a virgin regardless of my profession and most of my favourite authors are Catholics. I'm a profoundly unintelligent person but I'm not bad at sounding like I know what I'm talking about (if that sounds confusing I'll put it this way, in high school I was a good debater but an abysmal essay writer).

>add "I know I'm probably a bit snobbish saying this, but..."
pls don't

my girl coworkers always talk about basic bitch stuff like twilight or whatever new HBO show has a book

>yesterday i went to a familiy reunion
>am studying in the different city so i had to take the train
>train ride takes about an hour
>i better take my book with me so i can finish it
>currently reading platform by houellebecq
>actually enjoying it
>i did only carry that book and nothing else so i did not bring a bag. i simply put the book in the big pocket of my raincoat and took the train

>BIG FUCKING MISTAKE
>im having a really big family in a near by city and we meet like a few times every year to see each others again.
>meet familiy at a restaurant and we eat a lot and had a few drinks. fun time
>after that we walked the streets to find some kind of bar
>aunt of 3rd degree or something (i am absolutly not sure) points out that i obviously carry a book in my pocket and wanted to know what i read
>"M-Michel houellebecq"
>she stared at the book with much interesst so i showed it to her, handing her the side with the cover.
>she turn it around and begins to read the short text on the back of the book
>its literally about some wierdo fucking lots of thai prostitutes and islamist blowing the whole fucking thing up
>she says "i work in a book shop. I know that guy"
>gives the book back to me and quickly looks for someone else to talk to
>mfw

Don't ever talk to someone outside of this autistic filipino manga website about fucking books

What is that supposed to be?

It can't be that hard, I've seen lots of dumbass preachers.

I said exactly that last week and a guy took offense to it and immediately started trying to argue why brandon sanderson was better than any classic author I could read when I hadn't even dropped any names
I try to downplay it as much as possible

>"Oh I love Dan Brown, have you read it user?"

Preachers and catholic priests are not even remotely the same thing, skyler

" I enjoy reading literary fiction" is an appropriate response

Some biographies are good, again depending on the person in question.

Ronaldo I see no point. Pretty boy footballer who got everything in life and is praise by everyone. Any bip of any celebrity that didnt go through hardship should have an accompanying dildo so you can suck them off while you read.

this

I never mention I read to anyone, because it inevitably leads to conversations about Stephen King, G.R.R. Martin, etc. Having once made the mistake of shitting all over said authors I now know not to engage plebs in literary conversation. To dislike Stephen King is to dislike reading itself in their eyes. I've been told that new books are better in every way than old ones, which are impossible to enjoy and can only have historical value.

It's not easy. I had a couple kids from my my high school try to live in monastic communities or join the priesthood and everyone dropped out.

I hate when normies find out I read.

NO I'M NOT SMART. NO I DON'T THINK I'M SMARTER THAN YOU. STOP TRYING TO CATCH ME BEING DUMB. NO I'M NOT PREPARED TO DELIVER A LECTURE ABOUT MY "FAVORITE" BOOK. NO I DON'T HAVE A FAVORITE BOOK. PLEASE GOD JUST LEAVE ME ALONE AND LET ME READ MY FUCKING BOOKS WITHOUT BEING JUDGED.

A copy milk and honey sat on the break table at my work for MONTHS while another one was passed between all the over the same time.

A coworker of mine said their favorite book was Blood Meridian. I called them a fucking corncobber.

The priests I know are both academics that have studied theology in depth. They're both Church of England too. Might not be a similar experience.

>not quoting the Rig-Veda

>quoting the Nig-Veda

> Nig-Veda
>literally THE Aryan text

>user there's this REALLY good book called "Ready Player One", I know you'd love it.

I think it's a blessing no one that I know reads.

That's a pretty nice way of breaking the ice absout your sperginess don't listen to the other spergs.

What's wrong with Dan Brown?
It seems like all Veeky Forums knows how to do is shit on literature which is even slightly popular.

If you can't see what's wrong with Dan Brown by yourself then I'm sorry.

Not books but this happened earlier:

>girlfriend asks me what i'm doing
>watching a movie
>cool, what you watching?
>it's called the ballad of narayama, have you heard of it?
>nooooo
>it's a japanese arthouse movie from the 80s
>dead silence
>so, what are you up to?

I try to not let it bother me but it does. Maybe I should give up and get a Netflix account.

I don't even answer people's question. Just say "uh-huh" and they'll leave you alone. Wish everyone would die.

nice numeri

>curry niggers are white
How can someone be THIS delusional?

>work at library
>none of the people who work there actually read or talk about reading

I only know the age demanded and bluebird and feel like a pleb everytime.

It's from IT and he's posting it trying to convince people King is better than any other genre fiction. He's fine, and I've enjoyed a few of his books, but I honestly wouldn't even put one of his novels in my personal top 120, and I'm not even that well read. It's idiotic to talk shit about an author you've never read, but in my opinion it's worse to say the only author you've read is one of the best, which it's clear people who shill King haven't read anything else.

What is your point? I don't get it.

This happens more than you can believe.

>'user what are you reading?'
>I pass the book
>'so is it interesting?'
>'yes, I'm enjoying it.'
>'can I borrow it after?'
Every fucking time.

>coworkers ask me if all I do is find the biggest books at the store to show off
>pass over Mason & Dixon and say I actually love this check it out
>tries to read the first page
>says 'wow look at this author just showing off how smart he is'
>tell him it's incredible and highly recommended
>'yeah right nobody could understand that'
>'okay'

>coworker tells me about book he's reading
>yeah its called carry-on comfort, its really good
>thought he was reading some sort of eat pray love type bullshit
>realized months later he meant carrion comfort by dan simmons

>mfw my boss tells me he had to stop A Game of Thrones because it was too difficult

my co workers are not even on the level to comprehend books, they listen to absolute radio and only talk about the trending show on netflix or make some basic comment on the latest big news story, we have a quiz every friday though which is fun because i can show off my superiority in useless knowledge, i usually ace it but lately i've been saying i've got a lower score than i have to avoid the embarrassing 'wow, user you're so smart' conversation

>yfw he was talking about the tv show

I once heard a conversation between two BA English students, and one was telling the other how the Lord of the Rings was far too difficult to read.

I read LOTR multiple times by the age of 11.

I had to patiently explain the concept of an anthology to a legitimately lightly retarded coworker. This person is retarded in a very specific way I've never run into before - he seems to know a large amount of trivia (mostly factoids), but even then it's all been scrambled before sticking to his long term memory so everything he exclaims is off in some bizarre way. Any remotely uncommon word is likely to be scrambled as well, for example he was referring to "monocles" as "morlocks" in a discussion I had trouble following initially.

>tfw you know you're not that smart but everyone in the office asks you literally everything about everything
>tfw you know the answer
>tfw it'd hurt your pride to lie and say you don't know

>tfw it'd hurt your pride to lie and say you don't know

this but i value my sanity over my pride so i'm content with playing the kind of smart but can't help with most things guy

I always answer with why i like reading, for the prose.
When asked what books i read, I always answer with "Well written ones, doesn't really matter what genre".

>A third of these hated hateful men

The Vedas are one of the earliest text in any indo-euro language. They are the cultural product of a group of Aryans who settled in India. The Vedas themselves recount the story of the Aryans migration southward into India and the battles and events that happen along the way.

What's more - the astronomical descriptions given in the Vedas describe what you would see if you lived in the arctic circle close to the north pole, while the Vedas probably were not composed while the Aryans were living there, they likely are the product of a people who lived there and migrated south into the Caspian/Black sea region and from there to India.

Maybe she is actually Veeky Forums and so talks about twilight to connect with the uneducated masses, and by not taking a chance you are forgoing one of lifes rares joys, of communicating with a person of the opposite sex who is more intelligent that yourself.

I know i hide my power level in public.

yeah wouldn't wanna intimidate someone with all that murakami you read

>Murakami is an impact crater on the far side of the Moon.

What?

are you retarded?

if you are at a public library they are mostly used for mommy and me book reading these days.

if you are at a school library you are just helping kids find sources for their two page essay over and over again

>read filename related
goodreads.com/book/show/178527.Nigger
>can never say the name in public due to normie laws.
>all the mudsharks with mulatto children compliment me

LOTR was not that challenging it just got tedious when he would go on about the history of some random valley for paragraphs

I'm on Veeky Forums so yes.

Good prose is never tedious, regardless of content. Are you a pleb who reads for things other than prose?

>taking my break at work
>I work at a supermarket
>manager is a young female qt, only like 27 years old, I am 27 as well
>she is in the break room reading a book
>take a look to see what the book is
>it is some fucking Twilight book or something
>want to make a conversation with her about the book
>I am not a good conversationalist
>ask her what she is reading she tells me the book is Twilight
>actually manage to have a nice discussion with her, make a joke about Twilight basically being an erotic novel and she laughs
>get really excited that we may have a connection now
>decide it would be funny to make a joke
>if I buy an actual erotic novel and read it at the same time as her, she will see and find it funny
>buy an erotic novel about Werewolves
>take it to work
>wait until she is having her break and reading
>go and get the erotic novel I bought from my locker and sit next to her
>when I sit down and start reading she looks over and pulls a face like 'wtf is that'
>she looks disgusted
>start to realise maybe this wasn't funny
>try to joke my way out of it
>'haha, howwllllllllll I want wolf dick'
>she tells me to please take my break somewhere else
>I go and sit in the toilet cubicle reading the book for some reason
>tfw she has treated me very badly ever since I did this shit

amazon.co.uk/Desires-Wolfman-Complete-Werewolf-Collection/dp/1624930409/

This was the book btw

Oh, dear.

I really hope you just made that up.

was the book any good?

Take a picture of the book with a timestamp and post it here. :)

Did you enjoy the book?

I really hope this story is true.