Do you agree?

Do you agree?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5l-Lv9tGQwI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, he's wrong, again

Do I?

Poets can imagine 2 + 4 = blue.

Yes. Mathematics requires far more imagination, and it is easily the most important human endeavor, the only real driver of human progress.

Depends on if you believe in the after life or not. If this life is all we have, then the physical reality is of utmost importance. Therfore math and the sciences reign supreme. However if the visible is created by the invisible and driven by the intangible. Then why we live trumps how we live, every single time. If it's the latter too, we need to get a move on and spread what we love most: love.

I'm really getting tired of STEM fags. We get it, you think that math and science are the only things worth pursuing. Stop pushing your views on other people that may think differently. It's just getting pathetic at this point. I talk to STEM friends all the time that really dislike the path they chose, so I wouldn't be too surprised if these people are just resentful towards those that chose to follow their passions.

I think part of it is realizing that what they do is, necessarily, very useful. Mathematical and scientific genius has done so much for humanity - to a point that it's inarguable. Nobody except the delusional would claim science and math aren't very important subjects, but it's sort of a double-edged blade in that those who obsess over mathematical computation and scientific experimentation cede to some level of neurotic behavior and lose much of their human pathos. You are sacrificing empathy and humanism in favor of logical reasoning taken to the extreme, and it's not healthy for you or society. There's a reason the cliche of the mad scientist exists and it's because, whether past or present: given enough self-centeredness and without partial grounding it seems all too human to lose yourself in your craft. The eternal genius is plagued by challenges like these, and those seeking to do great things in any field must temper expectations by the constant reminder that they themselves are human too.

Yeah, I think that everything you said is correct. I think that math and science ARE extremely important. And applaud those who have a genuine passion for things like engineering and medicine. It's just sad that they lose sight of the artistic and spiritual nature of humanity in their pursuit of perfection and scientific progress. I really don't want to see a humanity where we disregard the arts in favor of progress. I wish that the STEM autists who look down on us would realize this fact and applaud us, in turn, for doing what we truly want to do--even if they don't see it as ultimately useful.

youtu.be/5l-Lv9tGQwI

>applaud us, in turn, for doing what we truly want to do
lmao

>but it's sort of a double-edged blade in that those who obsess over mathematical computation and scientific experimentation cede to some level of neurotic behavior and lose much of their human pathos. You are sacrificing empathy and humanism in favor of logical reasoning taken to the extreme

what a dumb thing to say. A mathematician doesn't sacrifice any humanistic capacity by devoting himself to math. He can still be quite an extraordinary person, just as an artist who takes the human as his subject can be, and often is, a terrible person.

Yes, if Hilbert is saying it. If there is someone who can talk about the power of imagination, that's him.

An inspired mathematician, like Hilbert, operates on a creative level that is close to the one of the artist. I don't see why I should not see his discoveries as pieces of art.

>hurr le everything is le art

it's acquired taste, you wouldn't understand.

>It's just sad that they lose sight of the artistic and spiritual nature of humanity in their pursuit of perfection and scientific progress
Not all scientists do what they do for the sake of progress, and mathematicians tend to see math as an art (which I can confirm by experience)

Look, we have here a very unhappy individual. Hows life goin lol?

I don't agree with his choice of hat, no.

I disagree with the use of a comma in that quote.

If nobody wrote words could math have been invented and communicated? Is language more abstract, Does abstraction necessarily require more imagination?

Or could math have been discovered?

>hurr durr science vs poetry

Posed and solved by vanguard poets and not mathematicians, funnily enough.

Yes, actually. The heart of Mathematics requires a lot of imagination and artful intuition, to be any good (in addition to a hefty dose of systematic thought). Meanwhile it's pretty easy to throw together a decent poem, they aren't even very time consuming, there just isn't much effort or prerequisites.

>Comma splice.

No. Only trainspotters agree.

>progress
>important
Progress does not exist. Masturbation does not require imagination
>Depends on if you believe in the after life or not. If this life is all we have, then the physical reality is of utmost importance. Therfore math and the sciences reign supreme
Fucking meme atheists.
>inarguable
Both are absolutely horrible and should have been wiped from existence long ago. You are sickeningly dogmatic. Typical systematizer.

>it's actually very simple to choose how to live. Just answer this unanswerable question