Tips for poor college kid

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm wondering if you guys could share any tips on how to get fruits and veggies cheap and in bulk, without completely depriving them of their nutritious bounty of vitamins and minerals.

Ive been thinking that large bags of frozen veggies and canned fruits are the cheapest way to go.... any other tips?

Learn a trade.

cheapest maybe, but not best. every day fruit or veg lasts after it has been harvested will decrease it's nutritional value as the remainder of the plant uses these nutrients to keep itself alive once separated from the roots/leaves.

if you're going for bulk value both financially and nutritionally the ideal solution is to buy at reduced price (i.e. buying on the use-by date) and eating the lot in a period of 1-2 days.

if you were going for maximum nutritional value the obvious solution would be to grow your own, but the likelihood of you being a farmer Is low so don't bet on that one

You know what? I'm glad you said this, because I tried. I did what you and countless of other memers have said to do, and it's been an enlightening experience about how far bad memes can go.
My first choice was being an electrician, since it seemed like the nicest trade, followed by carpentry. So I researched, and learned that you shouldn't try to get a college degree, since it won't get your the designation. The proper way is to get a journeyman or master electrician to take you as an apprentice. Easy, right? Wrong. I looked online, and all of them were asking for electricians with one year experience minimum. So I ask a distant family member, but he doesn't respond. I ask another electrician, and this asshole won't even explain to me what the difference is between union and non-union electricians. So I guess I'm not becoming an electrician.

What about a carpenter? Even worse. What about a plumber? Even fucking worse. No one is taking anyone in, unless of course you're lucky enough to personally know one of them, usually through family, which means that the entire industry is built on nepotism. If your papi is an electrician, you're set for life. If not, you're fucked. I even tried to join the union, but they weren't taking anyone in until 7 months from the moment that I called them, which I'm sure was a generous estimate, and in reality would be longer since one of the union member's spawn would butt in at the last moment and get himself into the union.

"Learn a trade". Yeah? Learn a fucking trade, how about instead of that, you go fuck your self you smartass piece of shit, there are no trades. And this isn't just where I live. I checked slightly further away from me, and I got the same kind of responses, so the trades can suck my dick because much like my girlfriend, they don't fucking exist. This is why I will never hire one of these corrupt faggots. I'd rather live in a dark, shit and piss filled house than become part of their system.

Dude just apply. Unions literally assign apprentices and pay for your schooling. You don't have to know anyone anymore. They're desperate af. I turned multiple down because I didn't want to travel, and I'm just a shitty welder

THEIR APPLICATIONS WERE CLOSED. THERE WAS LITERALLY NO WAY TO APPLY.

you go to trade school you fucking idiot
you don't beg people "durr teach me to be an electrician???"
>too retarded to understand the difference between union and non-union
>too retarded to even try and look it up
on second thought, don't try to be an electrician, you'll burn somebody's house down

this sounds like pseudo science to me but im not sure i understand it. are you saying an apple cut from it's tree will lose nutritional value? i could see it decaying and the sugar breaking down, oxidizing as a whole...but the minerals would still be intact right? i guess the vitamins and fiber would break down though

sorry about that mate... it's a bitch of an earth. maybe the trend of whistleblowing and data leaks will change things for the world for once in human history

I get bags of frozen veggies & packs of chicken breasts at the grocery store. Throw a bag of veggies & 4-5 chicken breasts in a crockpot, cover with olive oil, ms. dash, spicy ms. dash, whatever tehf uck else you want and cook for 6hrs. Turns out pretty bomb. Bit of water in the bottom too.

Youre on the right track with frozen veggies. Fruit idk. I'm at the point I value freshness and non shelf stable chemicals more. Buy bulk rice and beans as staple parts of every dish. The cheaper rice you have to rinse the starch off a few times to make it cook nice otherwise it will be nasty gooey shit. Look around at the meat section and find the best price/lb while also not buying nasty shit, where its a pain in the ass full of bones. I remember pork butt was good but you had to cut it up into individual bags for the freezer.

Ramen is easy. Those pasta packets are easy as long as you have butter or milk. Sandwiches are easy, peanut butter basically never goes bad and is extremely calorie dense. Baked or microwaved potatoes are easy as long as you have sour cream to make them tasty.

Cotto salami will last in the fridge longer than other types of bologna.

love this ima try it out. i like to make big things of chilli or soup... some type of stew

i eat too much ramen already im not getting my diverse diet full of vitamins minerals and antioxidants tho :(

Frozen veggies are your friend and beware canned fruits. Stuff tends to be so loaded with sugar it becomes syrup. Go with frozen fruit if you can instead.

If your gutsy dumpster diving behind grocery stores can get you produce that's still good.

As for tips Dried Foods are gonna be your best friend. They stay good for ages and are cheap as hell.

Organ meats are great for you and cheap, but they are tricky to cook right.

You can usually get old bread from bakeries for super cheap later in the day if they don't turn into bread pudding or croutons the next day. Usually, they have more bread then what they can deal with even tomorrow.

The cheapest meats are the ones that take the longest to cook, but the trick is you don't need to be there for most of it.

FROZEN Cheap fish is loaded with added water weight and lacks much flavor. Smoked, canned, and salted are your best bets. Unless you're on the coast in which case get familiar with your local fish market. They can and will offer you some amazing deals.

Trade schools, also there are OBSCURE as fuck trades that never have enough people because nearly nobody has ever heard of them much less got into said trade until they encountered the great misfortune of needing one.

Most common being Refrigeration Repair.

Ramen is fine as long as you're not just eating the noodles and broth. The broth isn't high quality and it's a little salty but the main thing is to add vegetables and other stuff to it. Look at the package of ramen noodles, they have green beans and carrots and stuff with the noodles and broth.

thank you for the lengthy and informative post friend

can Veeky Forums make a sticky on tips for buying high quality ingredients, and also buying good stuff on a budget? like a guide for people on either side of the money spectrum, similar to how Veeky Forums has a car buying guide based on money

you should suggest that on the ck's qa

>I'd rather live in a dark, shit and piss filled house than become part of their system.

me too and i am actively doing this :^)

Where can I find these obscure trades?

I have a friend in a similar situation. Thanks for properly articulating the bullshit "just join a trade" arguments ignore.

I worked taxidermy in college and by the time I graduated I was making $18 an hour.

Some guys there were capped at $35 per hour with time and a half overtime during season.

How did you get into that? Did you happen to know anyone that worked there?

Do underwater welding

You have to know the basic idea of skinning to start off... At least I did. You can learn on youtube, and go slow at first. Be prepared to work your ass off and come home bloody evey day. I spent my first hunting season alone in the skinning rack when it was 20 degrees out most days.

After that first season they started teaching me how to craft ears, flesh turkeys and sew manikins. I didn't get much further into it because I was at school all the time (engineering) but it's fairly easy if you're dedicated just like any trade. Lots of blood and nastiness, but you get used to it.

Also another great part is you get awesome fresh cuts of free venison and other exotics all the time because sometimes people just want the mount and not the meat.

You are the dumbest fuck of all time. Seriously kys, youre better off dead

Buy fresh kale, chards, collards, and stuff like that, chop it up, and freeze it.
By the way, you don't really need to eat fruits to be healthy. You can get basically all of the vitamins and minerals you need out of carrots + kale + potatoes + beans/lentils

Bananas, beans, rice, and potatoes.

No meat. No milk.

Master plumbers make like $100k/yr you unread, retarded faggot.

Who are you talking to, Cletus? Are you lost?

kek

can't you give particular lessons to younger members of the career? or sell weed?

the fuck, you need to get a degree by some institution that is allowed to give you one.
We don't live in fucking XIX century anymore pal, also electricity is something that needs to be taught by professionals to prevent you from burning a hospital while installing an air conditioning.Just go to the trade school.
T. engineering student

also what are you studying

Pine nuts my friend.

Just eat pine nuts.

Hey, nick. Didn't know you were on here. It's your third shift manager there stores transferred

This will kill you at 40 ask my dead dad

Alright, what's his email address?

With being an electrician, for example, you need the 309a. Now, if I go to a trade school, they will not give me that, no matter how much I study and how well I do on the coursework, because you NEED hours as an apprentice to get your 309A. So where does one get that apprenticeship? The school isn't going to help you find one, they're just going to teach you some stuff and hope you can get an apprenticeship by yourself. I don't see how going to a trade school would help, especially since almost every electrician I've heard has recommended going straight to the union.