Welp, Veeky Forums, I've fallen for the STEM meme and now there's no turning back

Welp, Veeky Forums, I've fallen for the STEM meme and now there's no turning back.

How do I cope.

Stem is easy to learn

It's so dehumanizing though.

Money, material prosperity, and relatively good job security.

Get a STEM job working 40 hours a week that makes like 80k a year. Spend your free time indulging in your liberal artsy side.

Depending on your field, you could try to combine the two if you really want to be autistic. Like work for an organization that is involved in your liberal arts interests - a university or library system maybe? I used to be a database guy at a major art museum, it was pretty sweet. I walked around the exhibits during my breaks.

the trifecta of a coward, shutup

>there is a distinction
never gonna make it user

wew

I don't understand?

You'll have high chance to get a high-paying, secure, comfy job?

Is that the problem?

I'd kill for the same chance but sadly I am a brainlet when it comes to math, thus it is impossible for me to get anything done in STEM.

Be happy that you are not stupid OP.

>money, money and money

So this is the power of STEM

>falling for the high-paying, secure, comfy job = life fulfilled meme

What's a fulfilled life then?

Endlessly struggling with part-time jobs?

Working in an underpaid non-stem job because you have to compete with 500 million other snowflakes that fell for the libarts meme?

Yes, the power of STEM is financial and material secruity so you don't have to worry about your rent or whatever.

Horrible, I know.

>What's a fulfilled life then?

Doing something you enjoy, instead of being a codemonkey.

Cool, good luck trying to survive by doing what you enjoy, kiddo.

Chances are that you'll still be livin' at home or in a tiny cramped appartment with 40 years.

Making compromises and sacrifices for a better, more secure living standard is literally the first and foremost thing that normal people in our society should learn instead of this childish "waaaaah most jobs are so boring i just wanna shitpost and read books and play vidya all day every day".

You are pathetic, I used to have this exact though pattern a decade ago, but thankfully I got my shit together.

If I didn't do that I'd probably be postin' on Veeky Forums and /r9k/ about how life is "so cruel!!!" and how "normies are so stupid compared to me!!!".

Grow the fuck up.

t. high school student

I feel sorry for you.

t. future depressed "enlightened" NEET who shits on STEM people because he's just too damn intelligent

Leave your university and become a sailor before your soul is dead

>muh ennobled failure is a virtue
>muh self-imposed poverty and failure is really a strength

Someone remove this sentimentalist faggot from the premises please.

>I spend 9 hours a day in an office cubicle working for others because it pleases me
whatever, wagecuck

Luckily I only have to work 20 hours a week. When I move to a smaller flat, I'll be able to reduce to 10-15 hours.

What if that's not what you strive for in life? :(

Then what romanticized, misguided, sentimental, dramatized, theatrical illusion do you strive for in life?

The only good STEMcel is a dead one.

STEM students/graduates who are interested in literature usually understand it far better than libarts/philosophy ones. Not having the pressure of having to repeat word by word their professors' interpretation about given literary works, they are free to read what they want in their free time and form their own idea about it.

You can make a decent amount of money doing something more fulfilling than STEM job, you know?

The STEMfag can only handle 0's or 1's, black or white, this grey is lost on him.

sauce?

This.

>STEM guarantees a comfy, well-paid job
>STEM guarantees that you have a high IQ
>STEM guarantees that you're developing your philosophical understanding on your own and you're not getting influenced by professors that might try to form your thoughts
>STEM guarantees that you aren't a manlet, have a big dick and live longer than libarts

Why aren't you a STEMasterr yet, Veeky Forums?

I wish I could be one but sadly I am retarded, so for me it is endlessly struggling with a huge inferiority complex until I kms.

>STEM guarantees that you have a high IQ
Problem is too many of them might be "smart", have a high IQ, but they're so fucking autistic and insufferable to be around it doesn't matter. And then to imply they're even the slightest interested in literature(aside from mediocre fantasy shit) is ridiculous.

>developing your philosophical understanding on your own and you're not getting influenced by professors that might try to form your thoughts
>not just forming your own opinion while taking what you can personally verify as good from the professors' opinions
It's like you're okay with staying a mental midget or something

>STEM students/graduates WHO ARE INTERESTED IN LITERATURE
>NOT ALL
>shits on STEM
>can't read

>implying opinions and interpretations can be right or wrong

I've been on STEM and most were like that, fuck off. Obviously there were still some cool guys, but in general you can expect a heavy dose of autism and cringe.

>being such a brainlet pleb you need to choose between them

Look how hard you sperged. You think an upper middle class salary and little prestige are going to help you? You'll shoot up the office.

This guy has seen the light.

>most
It's like you get off on not knowing the difference between "all" and "those who".

>implying caps are "sperging" and not meant to highlight a portion of the text
You people are just providing more and more proof that those who shit on STEM are ironically, in general, those who can't read and understand a written text.

Not one person I met on STEM had an interest in lit outside of shit genre fiction, so fuck off retard.

Oh yeah buddy! No one I met is like X, so no one must be!
>anectodal fallacy
Please teach me how to cum from making these beautiful and consistent retorts.

>unironically naming and pointing out fallacies
You're not gonna make it

im interested/read lit and im double majoring in math and mechanical engineering. i also have a few eng friends who read non-fantasy shit but wouldn't really classify it a lit. so it's not ridiculous that some of use are interested in lit.

i agree on the autistic and insufferable part though. seems to be a more common character in STEM although there are shitty people in all areas of study believe me. there are some really annoying people out there

t. 4th year uni student

>realizes he unmistakably committed one so he resorts to
>ad hominem

This.

Also, why are people so afraid to just pick up a trade? Decent money, work anywhere, and you would be developing a skill in craftsmanship. Are you just fearful that your co-workers might be illiterates?

Agreed.
Those who criticize STEM don't seem to understand that your job does not necessarily define who you are as a person, nor your hobbies.
No one is preventing you from working a STEM job and then relax with some classical Latin literature when you get home, like I do.

This so much. Apollo and Dionysus. Logic and passion.

I criticize STEMfags because the organizations I've been in were littered with superiors who studied "business" and muh humanities in college. It's not as though STEM is inherently noble or a 100% guarantee to success. Much of professional success depends upon muh networking and finessing the egos of others, and it's odd to me that STEMposters don't realize this. It's weird to lash out at people pursuing a path different path than you and it seems like 9 times out of 10 it's STEMmers who do this.
I also agree that the STEM/humanities dichotomy is illusory but there are personality traits that many STEMmers have in common.

this
at least the comfy job gets you access to cool things, like travelling.
people usually go through liberal arts meme because there are some well paid actors, musicians, directors, etc. And they want to be famous and rich

No it isn't.

You can't be a brainlet and expect smart people to roam around the places you inhibit.

t. 5th year medical student who read the Western canon in its entirety

>at least the comfy job gets you access to cool things, like travelling.
Not really. You're underestimating the degree to which you'll be ground down intellectually, emotionally and physically in any decent paying, highly competitive occupation...if you're trying to advance, that is.

>working 40 hours a week

You lost me there

Maybe you should try hanging you with smart people who go to elite schools, instead of second rate cow colleges.

you realize nobody in this thread has an education, or a job, right?

Not really, i got a degree in mechanical engineering, MBA and going for master's. I don't feel like i should stop reading just because calculus III was a nightmare.

>going for a stem degree
>every time i go home, my mom tries to convince me i should work for the most soulless stem company there is

why is she doing this to me

Project less.

I imagine nearly everyone has a degree, good to know your position in life loser

>people who go to elite schools are automatically smart

>he's so mad he has to work 40+ incessantly for some business that would lay him off the second things went bad and he was no longer useful that he takes it out on anonymous NEETS
>Fell for the career meme

I love it when people vehemently defend working like it's not the drab endeavor that it is. The only work you should ever do is what is entirely for yourself or things that pique your interest. Anything else is the cuckold's path.

You're posting about educational achievements and didn't respond to anything about the professional world. Hiding in academia is infinitely less stressful.
Also if you've already obtained your MBA why would you seek an additional master's degree unless you're directionless and pissing your away your time

It really is. The actual learning is always like stacking bricks on top of each other.
I hope you don't think 80k is a lot.

And why should a well-paying job leave you "ground down intellectually"?

No, he's right. It's a really fucking bad idea to get into something you hate just for the money. The stem meme is for people who kinda enjoy stem AT LEAST.

I plan on lecturing in prestigious universities.
In my country you need at least master's to start and has started doctorate.

MBA is just for my actual job.

Become a productive member of society

Me too OP

All I have to look forward to in life is to get some job I can get fired from for being an alcoholic

>decent paying, highly competitive occupation...if you're trying to advance, that is.
You're not replying to the post I made but rather a reductive version of it you concocted in that beautiful mind of yours.

Only if you are a pleb

More like the trifecta of an adult

Are you literally 16?

>implying STEM jobs are highly competitive

If you really, really hate all STEM fields, then yes, it would definitely suck. But it's such a vast world that it's highly unlikely, in my opinion.
A great example is math. At university level, I can't imagine how someone passionate about literature or philosophy wouldn't love it. It's not simply mindlessly solving equations like in high school.
And the same goes for other fields. I'm a CS PhD student and loving it, and no, it doesn't involve being a codemonkey. I work a lot, but I still have free time to read and study music, another hobby of mine.
STEAM and humanities are more similar than most people think.

somebody mentioned, "Highly Competitive," earlier which is also a key.

Unless you have a burning passion for something, you're not going to be highly competitive, which means even if you get the degree you aren't going to make it, which means you aren't going to make money at it.

If you're lucky you'll get one low paying job in the field, hoping to work your way up, but you won't because you'll hate it and there's tons of guys out there the who overtake you, then you'll get fired and nobody else in the field will want anything to do with you. And....that's it, that's what your 200k got you.

That doesn't change the fact that you gave no real reason for your claim.

>At university level, I can't imagine how someone passionate about literature or philosophy wouldn't love it.
Because not everyone's even good at it you mong. Yes, obviously you'd probably find the theory very interesting. But maths isn't just theory -- you do still have to do crunchy maths. Worse, you need to have done that through A-level, and done it well.
Exactly.

Most of those people just don't make use of their degree at all. They don't want any job in the field, let alone a low-paying one.

It's so fucking funny how similar this guy looked to a guy I knew with the exact same personality.

>crunchy maths in college/uni
>calculus
>crunchy
>maths

misa thinksa u a newfagga yippe yousa newfagga!!!

Yeah. I'd call that crunchy. The fact you wouldn't is basically what I'm getting at.

Jesus Christ, sometimes I wonder if you people are THAT stupid or just pretending. If you're "bad" at math you need to practice more. The "crunching" part is actually the easiest one.

>if you're "bad" at this thing you hate you just need to practise more
autist

It is a fallacy only in that of formal reasoning.

Yeah good job proving my point for me fag.

If you think you can coast in a desirable, competitive field which attracts intelligent, type-A personalities I don't know what to tell you. It's been my experience that if you don't hustle and give 110% you will be outworked relatively quickly. I work in financial services so your industry might be different but I've seen this to also be true in the startup space and in consulting firms as well.

Easy to say when your point was none at all.

Ahaha the asshurt in this thread

And yet reason apart from "yo man, I've been through it, it must be the same everywhere else!"

> financial security
> 21th century capitalism

Yeah, let's talk again in a few years.

Signed,
Socially awkward STEM student which has to work its ass off to compensate its shitty personality

No one here has anything but a shitty personality.

OP Become a god like me! indulge in both STEM and Literature!

There are a limited number of well-compensated, intellectually satisfying jobs with good companies in desirable locations. When the demand for those jobs is higher than the supply, the competition for them is necessarily fierce. It is straight forward. My point isn't controversial unless you haven't entered the job market or work in a wildly different setting.

95% of posters in this thread are going to be failures, no matter what field they study.

It's because you're dumb and have bad attitudes.

aaaaargh

>what we really are is our inside guize

>implying what you do in your own time isn't things done
do you take a selfie every time you read

Why did you get in STEM if you didn't want to? Did your parents force you or some cuck shit like that?
Anyways, is not that bad. I'm not STEM but lots of my friends are engis and sure is hard but they will get some decent money after they major. You will be able to have your own house and other stuff. Anything else is on you (wife, non-material stuff)
But if it is depressing you to the point you can't function and want to kill yourself, I would drop out/change major. Fuck it, life is one, do whatever really. But you are doing the "grown up" (no such thing) path which really isn't bad

Is there any time that is not on my own?
What you do does define you as a person. Why do you think Joyce is called a writer? Because he wrote more than the 50%.
Why is he considered a genius? Because he wrote one a masterpiece, or two.
You dont't think using most of his time reading and writing didn't define who he was? The places he frequented, the people he interacted with, etc. All that stuff leaves a mark. You are what you do, it shapes you, you can only choose what to do
If you are doing something vapid and that doesn't interest you and even has so low value to you that you choose to dissociate from it, even when you spend a lot of time or energy on it, you really should reconsider doing that

Not OP, but I sympathize with him. There's a difference between getting a degree and working in the actual industry, a case of expectations vs reality. The industry itself is a massive corporate bureaucracy that does nothing to encourage innovation, creativity or any of the other buzzwords engineers throw around. If you're a software engineer, you're always against the clock with a deadline and you are almost 99% editing the previous version code from the previous troglodyte that had your job. Everything is made to barely work to barely fit the parameters of the project. On top of that, we're almost guaranteed working 60 hours a week during crunch time (not paid for overtime of course). The only upside is that the job conditions you to be extremely sharp with arithmetic, algorithms, and logic. It also gave me a chance to approach literature and philosophy alone and without mediocre professors influencing me.

Many people go into engineering knowing that if they work their ass off in college, they will get rewarded after. They don't know that you have to continue to work your ass off until retirement to maintain the cash flow. And at that point, people have a crisis of "do I really need all this money at the expense of time and stress?" I chose engineering when I was 18 for purely pragmatic reasons and now I am feeling the effects 5 years later. If anything, engineering has made my more of a luddite and made appreciate modest living. I think my ultimate dream is to save up enough money and move to Greece and become a shepherd that reads books all day.

Question:

I think I'm going to study Philosophy and English in school because it is what I am truly interested in and love studying it.
That said, I also like math and sciences, just not as much. My school has a good program in them, but I just don't like the classes as much.

Would it be irresponsible of me to not study any math and science in school? I feel like I should and want to take some Math, Physics, Chem, and Ecology and stuff, but everytime I think about signing up for a class, I feel like I am wasting a valuable spot and sign up for a humanities class.

Also please no shitting on humanities or sciences, I just want to know how people feel about being more well-rounded and such.