Is there really that much difference between $300 sushi this Jiro guy makes vs...

Is there really that much difference between $300 sushi this Jiro guy makes vs. just putting fish on rice yourself for a couple dollars?
I don't understand what magic he's doing to make fish and rice that much more valuable. Isn't goodness in sushi terms mostly a function how much soy sauce you drench it with anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oPvgWVn8SHY?t=31
putlockers.fm/watch/yGDB1Ov6-jiro-dreams-of-sushi.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Watch the documentary.

Fuck you.

> Isn't goodness in sushi terms mostly a function how much soy sauce you drench it with anyway?

I'll willingly take the bait.
$300 is a meme but I do think it is worth a lot more than just putting fish on rice yourself for a couple dollars. Some of the sushi is made after a ridiculously long procedure which quite frankly I don't know how much better it would make it taste, but is admirable just for the amount of time and effort put into said procedures. Also, the quality of the ingredients will be drastically different. So yes, it will taste a lot different from your shitty attempt to make sushi but do I personally think it's worth $300 for a couple pieces? Not really.

You don't like soy sauce? I can't comprehend not liking that, it makes almost every food imaginable that you put it on better.

Go sauce a dick then, you humongous fucking faggot.

If you had to suck a dick for some reason like in prison for example, soy sauce would probably improve that experience too desu.
Also why so angry?

i can go to the local sushi place ran by chinks down the road and have the same shit jiro was masturbating over and charging 10 zillion bucks to eat. fuck him and his gay sushi

enjoy your msg poisoning

enjoy your semen gargling

>MSG is bad

japs love to make autistic artforms out of day-to-day tasks, they make an art out of wrapping sandwiches in tablecloths for fucks sake

You could probably make the same point about any expensive resteraunt

youtu.be/oPvgWVn8SHY?t=31

>function how much soy sauce you drench it with anyway
If you need to drench it with soy sauce it's shit sushi.

For something as simple as sushi, the quality depends on the sourcing and handling of each ingredient. The film shows Jiro's son picking out only the best fish every morning, and all the steps that go into each dish that have to be absolutely perfect by Jiro's rules. I get that it's an excessive price, but it's also based on the prestige that comes with having such top-notch sushi. If I was rich enough I'd probably give it a try.

>Jiro's son picking out only the best fish every morning

And think about that - it's 4AM or earlier when he's at the fish market. My fellow 'murricans get absolutely assblasted every time they see small business people focused on producing great product contravening the corporate indoctrination of lowest common denominator that will sell to the most people. It runs the gamut from the hatred of mom and pop sustainable small farms to individuals running restaurants using local produce from those mom and pops all the way to a few guys pooling their money to creatively produce good beer. America indoctrinates our spawn to worship corporate pig slop and consider anyone working as an artisan as a pretentious faggot. Sad, really.

>My fellow 'murricans get absolutely assblasted every time they see small business people focused on producing great product contravening the corporate indoctrination of lowest common denominator that will sell to the most people.
How's the eighth grade going? I know it may seem cool and edgy to be a contrarioan, but it's really not

>everyone is dumb and uncultured except me

Pretentious and probably underage faggot alert

I never get why retards think this, MSG literally has 1/3 less sodium by volume then regular table salt.

i'm a pretty good cook, and everytime i've tried to make sushi it is gross.

i don't know what they're doing at professional sushi joints, but they're doing it right.

>i'm so cultured I believe more inferior production is worth it to sacrifice quality for quantity and I'll slop it up because, muh corporate gods.

I'm in my 50's faggot and have seen the dire times when the only available beer with any flavor were skunked old imports and the high falutin' restaurants were corporate pig slop. Enjoy attempting to reverse progress. The proof is in the pudding and we're not going back no matter the current crop of Hegelian reactionaries.

>inb4 50's on Veeky Forums what are you doing with yourself?

>no link to documentary

based!
you young faggots listen up and respect your elders!

Is it worth 300$? Nah not at all.

Is it better than what the average american can make? Hell yes

I thought it was cream of sum YUNG guy

>50 on Veeky Forums
What are you doing with yourself?

putlockers.fm/watch/yGDB1Ov6-jiro-dreams-of-sushi.html

What you really have to consider is a lot of the price comes from the quality of ingredients, even more than the craftsmanship of the chef. Jiro gets the very best fish, quite literally the absolute best fish you can buy.

How does fish quality work? Do those high quality fish go to the gym or have purebred pedigree or something?

Why are Gucci bags better than my fanny pack?

I don't know why anyone would buy any sort of bag at all when they literally put pockets into almost every kind of pants out there, and also most important things in life today are digital and don't even require any sort of physical carrying.

>How does fish quality work? Do those high quality fish go to the gym or have purebred pedigree or something?
Bidding wars at the ol' fish market when the choices are compared in the daily catch.

Fresh and healthy fish, higher grade fish, and more desired rarer varieties of fish (aka purebred comment), makes a big difference. As close as possible to fresh caught is best for any variety. When it comes to fish consumed raw, there's the issue of not being full of parasites (more difficult to get the larger the flesh due to age), and also frozen safely and well, so coming from a more modern fishing vessel...all of which means $$$.

>Quality fish
Why bother when everyone just gets california rolls and deep fried sushi

e that
So where would you go if you were 50, facebook? I like diagnosing the disease that is millennial, and certain elements of the gen x. Be that as it may, there are a fair amount of older fucks on Veeky Forums; I can tell by their language.

Not all sushi needs soy sauce and even then, you're probably dipping it wrong, letting the rice soak up as much soy sauce as possible to the point where you won't really be tasting the fish anymore, just sodium.
Also, I've never had it, but apparently top tier expensive American sushi is about equivalent to basic street Jap sushi.

Youre a few years off gen x anyway man. And you dont have to deal with the 'disease' anyway. Unless youre in prison im pretty sure leaving convenience isnt all that hard.

why is this better than my hyundai?

I don't see how that's at all comparable given there are all sorts of complicated and expensive pieces of functional machinery in cars with all sorts of variables for performance involved, and you're trying to pass this off as an analogy to a guy charging $300 for some fish and rice. Fuck off honestly, you didn't even try to think about this situation.

Your paying more for the experience than just the food. It’s fun to be able to say you ate at a restaurant that was featured in a popular Netflix documentary. Also it’s funny how much effort he puts into seafood and rice, but it’s also ingenious because someone is willing to pay him 300 dollars for some seafood and rice.

>It runs the gamut from the hatred of mom and pop sustainable small farms to individuals running restaurants using local produce from those mom and pops all the way to a few guys pooling their money to creatively produce good beer.

Who you hang out with?

Literally the only people I've met who think this shit are niggers and other ghetto trash.

It's the same with all fine dining. There's no reason to shell out for what he does unless it's specifically what you're looking for. It's all about artsy-ness and attention to detail that you won't get anywhere else. However unless you're really into fucking sushi, the details I referred to won't mean anything to you.

Just like how I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between homemade pasta and really expensive restaurant made pasta. Same process -just flour, eggs, and water-, but the devil is in the details. Chefs go full autism on really small things that not everyone will be able to appreciate.

正味な話化学調味料とか唐辛子まみれの食に慣れきった人に繊細な味の違いはわからないので
高級寿司なんて物は食べる側にも作る側にも食材にとっても不幸だ