Online Group Reading DAY 1

We're all reading/annotating on this: 174.138.60.204/

Updated (shorter) schedule on the side

Today is Monday, June 26

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/answers/comments/2smo9u/how_much_would_6000_russian_rubles_in_the_1870s/
174.138.60.204/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Notes from the Underground
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Monday June 26
Chapters I and II

did you have to start a new thread for this?

I won't be starting a new thread for each day, but I updated the schedule so to prevent confusion I started a new thread for today

Would be cool if you could reply to annotations

For now you can edit other people's annotations which can make things interesting

Note: according to reddit, 6.000 rubles in 1870 were around 80.000 current dollars.
This book is from 1864, so the amount should be around the same.

Source: reddit.com/r/answers/comments/2smo9u/how_much_would_6000_russian_rubles_in_the_1870s/

Anyone know who does the best translations for Dosty Boy?

The one on the website is the Project Gutenberg version, which seems like the de facto translation for this novel at least

I'm going to read it tonight and I will be able to discuss the first two chapters tomorrow.

i added this to the annotations for ya C:

Hey guys OP here just a note,

1. You can annotate anywhere (even on later dates you can still annotate chapters we've already passed)

2. You can edit any annotation you want so go wild, debate some peeps

In the annotations someone presented an interesting question on the source of the resentment. From what I've read so far I assume the resentment is self-induced by the nihilistic, delusional and destructive views of the narrator. A footnote in my copy suggests that in fact the underground man presents an image of traditional Russian society during the influx of more and more Western ideas and the confusion that it caused to many Russians used to their old lives.

Western ideas such as?

Just the modernization of society in general according to the Western model. Another better view of the process can probably be seen in Anna Karenina where everybody looks up to westerners, attempts to follow their ways, high society speaks to their children in French etc.

Richard Pevear & Larissa Volokhonsky hands down

wrong.

Gotcha. The Français plays a role in War and Peace too.

So far I've taken the Underground Man's nihilism as the byproduct of Russian atheism. Not sure if Death Of God is a separate thing or if it's also a Western idea

this book is like 200 pages long do you really need a group to help you finish it?

The point is to share your insights with the community! with the annotation tool

what's right?

no. but we would like a group to discuss it with.
t. hanks guy who misses the whole point of reading groups.

I'll admit that I didn't actually read the OP. Sorry, I did miss the point.
Anyway I think I'll join in. :)

I am curious;in my version of the book it is divided by two par: one named Katia and the other one Lisa.Does somebody know if they are both related?

Great translation for redditors

I'm in; reading.

why is that wrong?

Explain

Awesome make sure to leave some insights if anything comes to you :)

How do I make an annotation?

Select any part of the text, then click on the small icon that appears nearby.

Sorry for using this thread for asking this, Is Constance Garnett a good translator? I want to read Crime and Punishment

He's probably alright

Some people are critical of her translations. Nabokov in particular comes to mind. She isn't reddit though.
She*

The rate with which The Underground Man pretty much sums up my thinking about life in general is kind of distressing me.
I literally feel most of what he is saying on a daily basis, down to the self-awareness of my being an asshole unloveable cynic for being this way.

Bump

OP here

DAY 2 BOYS

Chapters III and IV lets get it

174.138.60.204/

Just wanna say this shit is dope. Thanks.

You're going to love the rest of the book if you're already identifying with The Underground Man.

I wont be doing the reading for today, but I'll catch up and add to the discussion tomorrow.

I read the sections for today, but I don't have much to discuss yet. Thanks for this though. I've been meaning to read Notes and this finally got me to do it.

Well, so far the narrator is just arguing with himself. Hope it becomes more interesting later on.

"He simply would not be humble, and clanked his sword in a disgusting way. I carried on a feud with him for eighteen months over that sword. At last I got the better of him. He left off clanking it."

Sounds to me that he lost the feud?

How do you mean? The sword clanker stopped clanking.

>He left off clanking it

I took this to mean he walked off clanking it, but I guess it's to be interpreted as he stopped clanking it?

That's my interpretation at least. Left off can mean to cease.

The part about the mouse pretty much describes the entirety of /r9k/ and most of the Veeky Forums user base at large
I'm currently mentally replacing every instance of the word "men of action" with "normie" and it's hilarious

I tend to agree with you now, that he ceased clanking.

The blurb on the back of my penguin edition makes this book sounds like the worst thing ever:

"(In bold, scrawling text): HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO ESCAPE THE REAL WORLD

The underground man had always felt like an outsider. He doesn't want to be like other people, working in the 'ant-hill' of society. So he decides to withdraw from the world, scrawling a series of darkly sarcastic notes about the torment he is suffering. Angry and alienated, his only comfort is the humiliation of others.

Is he going mad?
Or is it the world around him that's insane?"

>yfw Dostoevsky is a YA author

do us all a favor and put the name of the damn book on OP................................

a little too late for that, will do for the next thread

Not yet read todays chapters.

I've noticed changes to the style of annotations, I personally prefered the way they worked before.

I haven't read ahead, but what did The Underground Man mean when he said he'd rather be lazy than what he is now? What is he if not lazy? Am I a brainlet?

Yeah I was in the process of updating the annotations plugin.

Annotations are green again :P

OP here, today I added a column to the right of the text which displays all the annotations
174.138.60.204/

This way you can get a birds eye view of all the comments (previously you had to hover over highlights to see an annotation)

Today is Day 3, chapters V, VI, and VII

Thanks for reading along with me guys :)

That's better, thanks. I just have this strange overlapped text rendering thing (see pic).

Fixed the overlapping shit

thanks

hey nigga thanks for doing this its really cool

Appreciate it

Im trying to figure out how to encourage more annotations