Best whiskey thread go?

Best whiskey thread go?

Other urls found in this thread:

scotchgit.bitbucket.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The best whiskey is Lagavulin 1999 Distillers edition. It's impossible to have anything better. People will yap but they're wrong.

Did you just do a google search for "best whisky"?

My favorite is Evan Williams honestly. Cheap, consistent, never disappoints.
If I had money I'd drink Woodford Reserve 25 year old bullshit every night, but even then I think I'd opt for Evan Williams or Jim beam more often than not.

this is hard to beat for $20

Islay scotches are their own world. Within that world you're not wrong, the Lagavulin 1999 Distillers Ed is exemplary. However, comparing Islay to Highland/Speyside (much less Bourbon and Rye whiskeys) is apples to oranges. Yes they're all fruit, but can't objectively say that one is "better" than the other.

All that being said, I tend to drink bourbon more often than scotch and my favorite bourbon to-date was the 2015 release of George T. Stagg, closely followed by batch #6 of the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Pappy is excellent sauce, but it doesn't necessarily deserve the pedestal people place it on. Myself and others in the industry preferred the 2016 William Larue Weller over the Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year (at least for a wheated bourbon). I'm also excited to try pic related. This year's release is just the standard HH mashbill, so it's probably just a glorified, cherry-picked barrel of Elijah Barrel Proof, but the provenance alone is worth owning it.

Gimme the redpill on Glenmorangie 10.
I've been wanting to pick it up, but don't want to be dissatisfied.

i love whiskey
i change it up as much as possible but i'm really into bourbon right now
got a bottle of blanton's on the go that's pretty tasty

Maybe if it cost half as much. One of the worst experiences I have ever had with whisky. It was good enough for cooking though.

is glendronach 12 comparable to macallan 12 sherry cask?
i want to try macallan but its like apple
you pay for the name

why do you want your food to taste like bad whiskey?

For $20, it's a very good sipping and mixing whiskey.

What's some good stuff that would be available in a fucknowhere grocery store?

am I the only person in the world who actually likes irish whiskey, except the irish? jameson > bushmills

I own it, you jag.

You fucking people.

I think of Irish Whiskey almost as a completely different thing really. I mean, it's closer to something like Baileys or Drambuie than actual whiskey

Look up my serial number if you want.

Could you give me some money instead?

Best bourbon hands down.

Angels envy is the best bourbon. For whiskey I have a weakness for nikka coffee malt. This is not considering scotches

I've never even seen Angels envy in any liquor store in PA or Texas.

I mentionned this in a previous thread, but Bastille is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine. There's a blend that's in the 30bux range but punches way above its weight class in terms of flavor. I read that it's made in a distillery that used to produce cognac, which gives it a very unique aroma.

I haven't tried their single malt version yet which retails at about double the blend, but it's on my hit list.

I really recommend giving it a try should you see it in your local stores.

I'll make sure to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

It sells out far too fast for a casual drinker. Find out your stores delivery date and go then. Their distillery is small and their product is above average.

French whisky, interesting. Is this closer to bourbon or scotch?

Dollar for Dollar, Ardbeg 10.

honestly, it's closer to brandy, but burbon over scotch. ironically their website states that they source their grains from an area in France that supplies many scotch distilleries. have fun trying it out

Nice, I love cognac so it sounds like something I'd dig.

The standard AE bourbon is pretty good, but honestly not worth going out of your way or paying price-gouging rates for. I had a few bottles of their overproof rum cask finished rye sauce in my shop last year and that was exceptional, but you're better off with a good HH product or BT. (Unless you've got a hardon for the port cask finish of the standard AE.)

For me, it is the smooth and mellow taste of a Kirkland bourbon.

Only the finest Costco has to offer.

Are you actually mememing? I've heard it's good but they don't have it at my Costco. I wanna make sure it's worth a 30min trip before I go tonthr next closest one for it.

I want to thumb my nose at a generic bourbon, but fuck if kirkland doesn't have great quality in most of their products.

what other brand does it most closely ressemble?

i like EW, cheap and don't feel guilty mixing it when drinking it with normies

i usually opt for buffalo trace or woodford reserved if im just drinking by myself since i have a job and can afford dishing out a few more bucks for booze

Decisions, decisions...

Never had these before. Thoughts on them?

Just about finished with my bottle of Bulleit. It was a great ride but I'm looking forward to a fresh taste.

Dubs decides my next whiskey.

Ardbeg is peppery compared to Lagavulin or Laphroigh or even Talisker. So it's a hot whisky.

Well it's and Islay scotch so I guess that's expected. Might get a 10 if I find one.

Oban 14

What's the best bottom shelf whiskey for the discriminating poorfag like myself?

Fireball.

Old Crow.

The 10 year is a great place to start if you want to try out Islay Scotch. To my recollection it is smokey and peaty but a bit sweeter and less medicinal than Laphoraig. The other expressions are higher proof and more complex.

IMO Pappy is not worth the steep price of admission. 23 years in oak and it's hard to taste anything but the oak.

Try our some of the offerings by 4 Roses. It's hard to beat the Small Batch for QPR. Buffalo Track and Wild Turkey are also good budget offerings.

Buffalo Trace*

Pappy is definitely a meme at this point. I'd rather just get a Laga 16 desu.

This is unironically the worst swill I have ever had the misfortune to drink. Why would you delude yourself and mislead others so deliberately?

Best bottom shelf is Evan Williams hands down. Depending on how low your bottom shelf is, take the other anons advice and try buffalo trace. Stay away from cheap blended scotch.

what about 46?

scotchgit.bitbucket.io/

just dropping this link because a lot of people are asking for introductory whiskys, and i used it when i was first getting my bearings with scotch. it doesn't touch upon flavor notes, but it's a good basic, comparative resource that also lets you break it down by region.

agreed with wild turkey, gotta be the 101 though

>terrified
My brother and I could both handle a handle a piece. We split one last Thanksgiving. Then threw up, we never had hangovers but we felt like we were hit with ballpeen hammers, shits out the ass despite them not coming from anywhere else.

You couldn't pay me to drink that shit again. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't either.

OP here evan Williams ain't my best friend anymore but we're still good I made dinner

Havnt drank fireball since high school but ok lol dubs wins.

I'm thinking about starting /whisky/ general threads, providing links in op to info about how to drink, how to identify different drinks, cocktails etc. Might be fun, idk. But I'll wait until this thread dies.

Ive been following whiskey threads lately, I'm down with a general

Laphroaig 10 is my favorite.
I’m usually a tequila drinker but when I want something to enjoy neat, I’ll usually drink a bit of Laphroaig with a salty snack

What is Ardbeg 10 like? I almost bought it on a whim having never tried it, but chickened out and went for monkey shoulder.

Please do, it’s the only reason aside from food gore that I come to Veeky Forums

Ardbeg 10 is one of those whisky's you'll either love or hate.
I think it's delicious, has a very smokey, briney taste but it's balanced well.
I'd suggest buying a dram from a bar before spending your money on a whole bottle.

Very tasty overlooked bourbon

I like Laphroaig, is it comparable?

>fireball
>whiskey

the restaurant i work out bought an entire barrel and has it sitting on their bar, been only a few months and theyve already sold all but a few liters

Ralfy plz.

So lets say that so far I've only tried some cheap blends and a bottle of Glenlivet and I want to try something smoky to see if it's my thing, would going for something like Highland Park be a good idea or should I jump in like a retard and go straight to Laphroig?

I feel like I’m the only one who enjoys this

I jumped right into Laphroig and it turned out great. I did end up liking less smoky ones, so go figure.

Bought this for thanksgiving

four roses

Benchmark ol number 8 is delicious and $11 for a fifth. I prefer it to Jim beam and it's like half the price. is also rather good for the price.

Buffalo trace and Wild Turkey are not budget, they are mid priced.

which part of this compass is communist

>Evan Williams
Nothing but sour shit. No other flavors to it.

>he can't taste the peanuts
Just because it doesn't clobber you over the head with vanilla and caramel doesn't mean the flavors aren't there.

>willingly ingesting literal poison

It ain't JUST ethanol in there. I wouldn't drink alcohol if it was just the alcohol. Besides, in moderation, the negative health effects are of nonconcern.

You're all wrong.

youre going to have a heart attack

Thoughts on Glenlivet Founders Reserve? Bought a bottle today because it was on cheap. I've always loved blended whiskeys, but wanna try out some more scotches and single malts.

My favourite whiskey so far would be Monkey Shoulder.

Pappy also comes in 12yr and 15yr expressions. You're still right about it being absurdly overhyped and overpriced though.

what is the white stuff??

Why is it that every whisky thread is full of al/ck/s who think that Jim Beam and Famous Grouse are exceptional whiskies? Is a normal drink literal swill to them?
Not even close to the best
This is definitely true.
How's the Ardbog?
Weller 107
Outside of the WT101 I'm not too sure of your choices. Honestly the only worthwhile Knob Creek is the Barrel Proof
Well at least we aren't autistic like you yet filthy tripfag
>US """local craft""" bourbon
Might as well post Koval so people know your reccing shit whiskey
Waste of your money. If you want cheap malts (assuming your in the US) look at Tomatin or Speyburn outside of the 10 year, the Braden Orach is good for the money.
Yeah the 15 is much better than the 23 in my opinion.
Also 12 isn't a pappy, it's just Van Winkle bourbon. Pappy's are only 15, 20, 23 and 15 rye.

If you can't be assed to drop $20-25 for some semi-decent whiskey, maybe you should just stick to your natty ice

I bought for a family gathering. Would have made different choices for just myself. Going to make some coffee style cocktails for dessert.

Alright lads. Steak For dinner tonight. Stopping by the liquor store in a bit. Which whisky do you recommend?

>tfw buy the cheapest shit hwithky from a convenience store just cause it's the only stuff strong enough to make me feel anything

As far as a bottom shelf one goes, its perfectly drinkable

I dunno, the Glenlivet was on cheap and tastes on. Was cheaper than Monkey shoulder, which would have been what I bought normally. Gonna try and grab sometime more expensive next time, but I'm poor, and laphraoaig and similar is $110+ a bottle in this shit hole.

Rate my whisky collection

What even is bourbon anyways?

A whiskey made partially with corn in Bourbon, Kentuckya.

Kind of like how you could use peat moss in whiskey but not call it Scotch outside of Scotland.

/whiskey/ general is up, update your watchlist

@9699074
This thread was here first
(you)

It's called Bourbon. Whiskey is for degenerates as to not waste bourbon on them.

Bourbon and scotch are completely different drinks and shouldn't be compared to one and other.

Honestly you can buy decent stuff for that price. Seriously look into the Speyburn Braden Orach, it's as cheap as the Glenlivet and has good body too it. FR is weak as piss in my opinion.
>Tasmanian whisky
Noice
Moron

Hmm ill look for it, but im in New Zealand, so the alch taxes are fucked.