What translation of "Der Einzige und sein Eigentum" is the best?

What translation of "Der Einzige und sein Eigentum" is the best?

The new 2017 one by Wolfi Landstreicher or the old 1907 one by Steven T. Byington revised by David Leopold?

I'm really torn here Veeky Forums. The one main difference I can discern is that the new one treats his historical/human development chapters as a parody and mockery of Hegel, whereas the old one takes them at face value.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/MaxStirnerTheUniqueAndItsProperty.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The old one being "The Ego and Its Own"

bump

translation superiority is a spook

I guess I'll just read the first few pages and decide which one I like best

bumpppp

I did not read the new translation but, I assume nothing much has changed? Was Stirner even hard to translate? Doesn't seem as meaningfully difficult and obtuse as German idealists for example

The new one.

Oh man, so the new translation is finally out? Do you have any links? Are we MUGA now?

>Do you have any links?
archive.org/details/MaxStirnerTheUniqueAndItsProperty.html

What an embarassment.

Ok guys so after comparing the first chapter in both I think the new translation actually improves upon the old one. They are still very similar though.

What do you mean?

Thanks a bunch, property. I'll read it a soon as I have any time to.

How so?

Quick comparison, pic is new translation text is old.

From the moment when he catches sight of the light of the world a man seeks to find out himself and get hold of himself out of its confusion, in which he, with everything else, is tossed about in motley mixture.

But everything that comes in contact with the child defends itself in turn against his attacks, and asserts its own persistence.

Accordingly, because each thing cares for itself at the same time comes into constant collision with other things, the combat of self-assertion is unavoidable.

Victory or defeat — between the two alternatives the fate of the combat wavers. The victor becomes the lord, the vanquished one the subject: the former exercises supremacy and “rights of supremacy,” the latter fulfills in awe and deference the “duties of a subject.

But both remain enemies, and always lie in wait: they watch for each other’s weaknesses — children for those of their parents and parents for those of their children (e.g., their fear); either the stick conquers the man, or the man conquers the stick.

In childhood liberation takes the direction of trying to get to the bottom of things, to get at what is “back of” things; therefore we spy out the weak points of everybody, for which, it is well known, children have a sure instinct; therefore we like to smash things, like to rummage through hidden corners, pry after what is covered up or out of the way, and try what we can do with everything. When we once get at what

bump, pls help me decide Veeky Forums

Somehow the new version seems more antiquated. Is it on purpose?

I'll help you decide in about a week, when I have time to read the new one.

It's generally best to use new translations*. Read both though, because scholarship thus far uses either the original or the older translation.

* Because they build off of old scholarship in the language, which is inherently important to translation to said language. There are few exceptions. And, of course, a translation by some hack should rarely be trusted.

Der Einzige is literally The Unique One but it's "His Property" or "His Own". The concept does describe an individual so the insistence on "Its Property" seems nonsensical.

Do you consider Wolfi a hack?

I don't know much about Wolfi. I'm just saying that one shouldn't trust a hobby translator, if such a thing exists.

The new translation has been out for what a month maybe less? Its a bit early for their to be good consensus on its quality.

IIRC that choice was made to better reflect the content of work.

HAHAHAHAH

He may be but his translation of Stirner's Critics is solid.

I can't imagine either captures the subtleties of his prose, but both probably do a decent job conveying the content of his philosophy.
Really impressed by Landstreicher btw, he's fluent in Italian aswell and translated all of Renzo Novatore's and Bruno Filippo's works.

Is 'spook' translated differently in this translation?

yeah, it's translated as "phantasm"

>Bruno Filippo
Bruno *Filippi*. Filippo is a totally different person.

In the whole first 2 chapters, this is the only real place where Wolfis translation is illegibly bad compared to Steven's, I think I'll keep the oxford pdf to reference it when I don't understand something.

Any move away from memes is a good move. Bravo

f