What's the consensus of this Borges translation? Which is preferred...

What's the consensus of this Borges translation? Which is preferred? I always hear Thomas Norman di Giovanni is preferred, but I was curious about this one. (The Irby Translation)

Other urls found in this thread:

a.uguu.se/FgcLL6nxG37w.epub
web.archive.org/web/20090704140516/http://www.digiovanni.co.uk:80/borges/the-missing-borges-(iii).htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

whatever you do don't get the collected fictions, the translation is mediocre at best and wrong at worst and has these annoying asterisks to mark the notes

Hey I picked that one up at Goodwill the other day

Only Giovanni is accepted.

di Giovanni worked with Borges personally to translate the stories as closely as possible.

I got this, did I fuck up?
Haven't read any yet.

i dont like the translations in comparison to labyrinths

Really why?

i cant find di giovanni translations on amazon.
someone help plz or epub or pdf

everyone's being unhelpfully meme-y. That collection has probably the best translations after Giovanni

see also see a reddit thread where everyone recommends that edition

I too would appreciate this

That's the translation I read and I loved it.

that's a pretty good translation. stay away from Andrew Hurley, I've heard. Never read Giovanni, is he truly the only acceptable? Irby did a pretty fine job.

how else are you supposed to read all his stories printed in English

you could search out Giovanni or other misc editions to find them. Irby and Giovanni are probably the better ones. Just stay away from Hurley

just read it in spanish...pleb.

have you read in both Spanish and English? care to compare?

those are impossible to find and are not in digital form last time i checked

Might just have to settle with what's published. Either that, or learn Spanish.

FUCKING BITCH STACY WINDOW PREVENTING THE GIOVANNI TRANSLATIONS FROM BEING PUBLISHED

widow*

The place that offered this is down,
should be all the Giovanni translations of his fiction:
a.uguu.se/FgcLL6nxG37w.epub

noice

thanks, user

did irby do anything other than the labyrinths paperback? i can't find one with him as the sole translator

too bad Borges' too autistic to develop characters

that and the whole meta-realworld universes he creates, it's cool, it's not even lit

web.archive.org/web/20090704140516/http://www.digiovanni.co.uk:80/borges/the-missing-borges-(iii).htm
archived pages of the translations he put up on his website before being ordered to have them taken down.

Labyrinths and the English translation of Ficciones are great. di Giovanni's translations are obviously good too, but the difference between them isn't that obvious. One could argue that labyrinths is better or etc.

Including some unpublished ones, which I thought were already included in the epub above but actually the other pieces from the maker collection are not