Mfw trying to explain to my friends why the Torah is a literary masterwork

>mfw trying to explain to my friends why the Torah is a literary masterwork.

If it is then it surely can't be because Moses wrote it, because Moses didn't write it.
Is one person making all the posts like this today? Are you the retard from the meetup thread?

>moses didn't write the pentateuch

Holy fuck, did you figure that out alone?
You must be a real scholar.

Well, maybe you'll have an easier time explaining it to us. Go on, then.

Granted gensis is shit reading, but if you don't enjoy, Jonah, Ezekiel, Esther, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, and Isaiah for their poetic metaphores and classical story telling, then I have to think that you're disliking it out of spite.

>gensis is shit reading

What are you talking about? Genesis is great. One great classic tale after another. Why the hate?

I'm just trying to troll Jews, relax, user.

Genesis is hyper compressed. It's likely a compression of two different older rabinical books and countless Canaanite oral traditions.

it's impossible to track the story.

Not just Canaanite, even, it goes all the way back to Sumer. And Egypt.

>it's impossible to track the story.

Well yeah, but it's not meant to be a novel or something. If course it's made of bits and pieces, but those pieces are still great. I can't believe you're able to enjoy Ecclesiastes or Jonah and not the stories of Jacob or Joseph.

>Egypt

I've always been dubious about this.

Ancient Egyptian texts dont compare well to Israelite/Judaic sources, IMO

I didn't realize you were a scholar on this sort of thing.

Jonah is amazingly constant and upbeat for the prophetic book.

Gensis jumps from narative to historical and is just boring in some places.

>Scholar

Sorry, I forgot I needed a title to compare literature.

Well, with this sort of thing, a degree is a sign that you've spent the time learning to read liturgical Hebrew and ancient Egyptian, and aren't just someone fucking around assuming that his pet theories are right because he doesn't actually take the time or expend the energy to do some research.

Of course it's a masterpiece, that's why it's in the Bible. That's the great brilliance of the Bible, it takes the Jewish Scriptures and then builds from them with the New Testament. The New Testament completes the Old.

this

Okay, it's not like I'm pulling it out of my ass because I want to take a big dump in comparative ancient literature.

It's not as if this is a field of study with a lot of consesus and my ideas simply fly in the face of traditional religious scholarship.

Isn't it a minimum 700 years from the composing of the Torah to the first canonical New Testament?

I think it's weird not to think of them as two separate books.

Not shitting on the New Testament, just different books.

Well then you can fuck right off. Egypt was a hegemonic power in the ancient world for centuries. Exodus, compiled around the same time as Genesis, takes place almost entirely in Egypt and Genesis ends with Joseph being buried in Egypt. That's not even mentioning how he came to be buried there. Whether or not the text of Genesis 'compares' well with those texts is almost beside the point: for Egypt to have had no literary influence on the authors of Genesis defies all reason. Even if it's all for the sake of creating an illusion of a divine history for the Israelites, Egypt is bound up in the story of Genesis.

The Bible is a library, containing dozens of books. You're making a category mistake.

your casualness is showing, fag

Yes, but the Torah has pharasaical and rabinical editing for centuries to taylor it to Judaism. The Gospel doesnt.

Yes, as I said, they aren't the same book. They're separate books published, interpreted, and revered as a cohesive whole within a higher unity by Christians.

>2017
>having friends

Shame on you Shem