How Veeky Forums is your city, user?

How Veeky Forums is your city, user?

How slick is your clitty?

I live in the number one most illiterate city in the United States of America.

Chicongo?

I've had two separate homeless people hassle me about Blake and Joyce. Nobody talks to me when I read in public.

Why would it be Chicago

Which city, pal?

Veeky Forums af

I don't go outside.

I decided to walk to the bookstore in Chicago today and an obese black man in thug gangsta clothes rode by me on an undersized bike and yelled "I'm gonna SHOOT a faggot!" at me.

>Oakland

It's alright. We're right next to Berkeley and San Francisco, which are relatively Veeky Forums (not as pseud as people think the latter is)

>San Jose
I really don't know how to describe it...

I don't live in a city.

I live in a small rural city with likely very few people who can spell the word "literature". Good second hand book shop though. I managed to find a lurker who lives here by complaining about the local library on Veeky Forums

you should try getting out a job so u dont have to live in section 8 housing my dude

I agree with your assessment of this city's black population.

you must really be looking silly my man

captcha: libbie mobydick

Toronto is extremely /lit. Loads of used book stores. A great chain of used book stores BMV. a couple universities and colleges that each have book stores. Shitloads of libraries. Every neighborhood has one. Loads of those free little library boxes that people share books. I usually steal them and sell them to bmv. Every area seems to have at least 2 used book stores. In the annex I count 5. Yonge and Dundas 10 minute walk away 6 book stores. It's great.

In Melbourne reading is almost exclusively kept alive by hipsters. Melbourne has a shitload of them so while books aren't dying taste isn't going anywhere good.

Boston is fuckin wicked lit dude

>taste isn't going anywhere good
are you opressing me?

>Australian writer
>womeme
>none of her stories are set in Australia
>exclusively writes about fellow womemes being oppressed by systems which don't understand them
This country is a joke. My Australian text in year 12 was a collection of essays by Michael Leunig, a newspaper cartoonist.

I live in Phoenix, all of our used book stores are filled exclusively with "... For Dummies" books.

I live in Peru, in Lima lit people are either lit students with different quality of taste or cringy yound adult/slam poetry admirers.

Kinda good used book circuit tho.

One bookstore selling flavour of the month memes, crime fiction paperbacks, school books and office equipment etc, in other words 'everything', philosophy section is self-help / zen for dummies / entirely random selection of heavier stuff (critique of pure reason costs 50€)

Flea markets are the best book stores here anyway.

One mediocre library with group / lecture rooms that nobody uses. Qtπ can be found studying.

Lots of literature groups for middle aged women ??

i live in northampton, ma, it's pretty Veeky Forums
lots of good used bookstores in the area (tho 2 that i liked have closed in the 5 years i've been here)
kelly link, mo willems, and eric carle live here. noam chomsky, emily dickenson, and augusten burroughs are from the area. it's also a webcomics mecca. kc green and jeph jacques live here, among others. sonic youth and the pixies also live here.

Vancouver is very lit, home of renowned philosopher ontilogicool

northampton always had a strong comics background due to tmnt founders being from there

also there is a president from noho but he was a dumbass who helped pump the bubble that lead to the great depression so maybe that's why you didn't count him

also, don't forget the band speedy ortiz is from there too

is the board room skateshop still in business?

There's some nice second hand bookstores around. I was excited to the Catholic bookstore in the city since I've never heard of a thing like that back where I'm from but its mostly stuff for old grandmas and costs $30

I fucking ha`te Leunig.

pretty sure that smug lesbian from msnbc has a summer home there

San Francisco is intolerable and I can't leave

It does have nice bookstores and yuppies leaving boxes of undergrad books on the sidewalk when they inevitably can't afford to live here anymore, but none of the tech bros want to talk about anything past brave new world and zero to one-tier lit.

The burning man slags that went to college are into Plath and Woolf, but they are also into Jamal, Anal, and Ketamine.

I hide my lit hobby because I know I am a pseud, and haven't used my library card in a couple years because Civic Center has been overrun by hoards of homeless.

All in all, a mixed bag.

still u got the best weather in the united states to comfort u at least.

>zero to one

he spews so much libertarian shit in that book but then almost all of his revenue at palantir is from government contracts, typical republican hypocrite

i actually used to live in the same house the tmnt guys used to live in! it's the oldest duplex in noho, according to my friend :o
also i didn't know speedy ortiz was from here, i love them!
i'm not sure about the skate shop but i'll walk down main st and armory st tomorrow and report back if this thread's still here

she has a house in cummington, a half hour away

> be billionaire
> have sycophant student write up notes from your """""lectures""""" at Stanford
> put 2x2 grids of simple dichotomies on every other page
> bestseller

Met people here who unironically claim this book changed their lives.

oh wait the president was calvin coolidge not hebert hoover, i just remember i went in the library and they had some room dedicated to him with all this memorabilia and shit

also he's another one of those assholes who tells people not to go to school because it's "not worth it" and "doesn't teach you anything" etc meanwhile he has a fucking JD from stanford, and always prattles on about how studying with rene girard as an undergrad influenced him, give me a fucking break

I'm living in a town where people from Wellington go to retire. Local doctors call it "God's Waiting Room." A little over half the population are over 60.

There's a village up the way with a Maori name that everyone just shortens to Pie Cock.

To answer OP's question: I have no clue, I'm a recluse.

I live in Skopje, you haven't heard of it, right? It's the capital city of Macedonia. Oh, you haven't heard of it too?

Well, guess why. It's the shittiest country in the world. The whole country is the same
Here you can't even get shot so you'll miserable life can end. You wish you could get.

The country is too poor to translate classics into native language because the copyrights are too expensive. Today's translations are jack shit. Copies of the older translations can't be found anywhere.

There aren't any classics in the second hand bookshops because everyone has bought the popular ones just for collection.

The book choice in libraries depresses you, there were like 2-3 Dostoevsky books about which you haven't even heard.

You can start a conversation about classic books with like 3-4 compeers in the whole city who neglect their outlooks, and the others are pretentious.

Niggers don't even come here, the few that come only fuck our girls.

I'm basically a pseud, with a basic level of literacy and knowledge about literature, and I'm still better than 95% of the population. I don't even know how I got this far. 90% are potheads.

Salaries and standards are too low to leave the country, the rich people leave instead.

> "dude don't go to school, just start the next PayPal with your friend and former competitor, the-next-Elon-Musk lol"

He said chicongo you illierate faggot, learn to read

Literate enough to read the labels on liquor bottles and buttons and display screens on a lottery machine.

This whole thread is nothing but whiny little cunts admitting they know nothing about their city's proper literature scene.

A small one. It's in Ireland so it's probably cheating.

Toronto is extremely pseud. Been living here for a year now. Book stores all around. There are no readers though. Canadians in general don't read a lot. I've seen some people sitting in the TTC with a really shitty pulpy piece of mass-market bullshit. But hey, Margaret Atwood, amirite?

This place really went shit after Alexander got shot

Where do you live faggot?

Really? I should hit her up. That wouldn't be weird, right?

Santa cruz fag reporting

quentin tarantinooo sometimes visits this coffee shop 2 blocks from my house

mfw everyone here thinks tumblr is an appropriate outlet for their "writing"

This post is very funny but also very sad.

I'm not aware of the Veeky Forumsness around here, but I know that we've a public library made by an overrated architect.

It's a city of readers, but certainly not a city of writers

>tfw
bosnia here. My town had just one copy of the Odyssey, Aeneid, Metamorphosis. Some books are just nonexistent.

northeast alabama

>tfw Mississauga is nothing but smelly Punjabis and loud Chinese

How lit is my city?
>check pic related for answer

>Dublin

Pros:
>lots of bookshops, both franchise and family owned
>a decent number of local writers that keep local interest high
>reading on the train isn't pretentious, as most people do it to avoid any interaction with crazies
>plenty of social groups to get into if you like discussing literature

Cons
>Bloomsday
>the city centre is covered in hipster-cliques that read complete shit
>most of the current crop of Irish writers are shit and they bring down the quality of discourse as a whole

Moderately Veeky Forums, I suppose.

How I envy you.

Austin here.

Hipsters everywhere (half price books is SO cash)

Istanbul, you tell me.

Flyover faggot detected

I live in the boonies and I'm pretty sure some people here can't read at all. Not very Veeky Forums.

And any of you faggot larpers who 'love' Christianity need to come out here and stare it in the face. I had a kid tell me vehemently, unsolicited, why evolution is an elaborate liberal lie concocted by the Obama administration.

>people still read Harry Potter
holy shit

>implying

You need to go back

>American """Christianity"""

>living in any city anywhere

>And any of you faggot larpers who 'love' Christianity
They're all Catholics, they'd probably tell the kid that Protestantism is an elaborate lie concocted by proto-nazi Luther to sell pork to gentiles.

>tech bros

melbourne has art fags going back 45 years plus. highly educated eastern suburb baby boomers i imagine would read. i live in the west not many readers out here clearly lol

London
In terms of book availability I suppose it's quite good, though there are some rare books that I haven't been able to find
In terms of an actual lit culture/scene - awful. Just SJW hipster pseuds

australia here. pipe down whinging pom bastard.

I wish I've lived in western world

Stuttgart?

I wish I didn't live in the western world. Being at the center of everything is exhausting. I just want to tend to some sheep, write short stories, and drink beer at the local pub on Friday night. There's too much ambition in the west, not enough land, and not enough meditation.

Berkeley is surprisingly lit

Lol christians rednecks in the south are not catholic try again.

Hey man another Macedonian on Veeky Forums ?
How old are you/ what municipality you from ?

The city I live in has consistently been ranked as one of the most Veeky Forums cities in all of Burgerland (sometimes topping the list), according to an annual survey which ran (runs?) for a number of years in recent years. The survey takes into account basic statistics like libraries and newspapers and bookstores per capita, and (I would assume) a few other metrics along those lines.

Independent bookstores tend to specialize. There is a joint sci-fi/mystery shop, a sci-fi/fantasy/comics shop, some crappy paperback resellers, a gommunist bookstore, three occult bookstores that I know about, a good four-or-five decent general interest stores, one really FINE store downtown with $500bux art books and such, and then about three dozen B&Ns and Half Price Books scattered about the place in addition to all of the college bookstores. On top of this, hundreds of white liberals in residential areas and several local businesses have these little free "leave-a-book-take-a-book" kiosks on their properties.

behold, the reading comprehension of Veeky Forums

22, Aerodrom.

You?

tfw mnogu pamet za Veeky Forums

Montreal is quite lit.

probaj akademska kniga brat ama se e preskapo tamu i obicno u angliski ama :shrug: zatoa imas online da citas, ne e isto custvo ama rip

Why is it even called Macedonia?

>DC

It's only alright. The whole town is practically gentrifying. Almost everyone you meet is a transplant. Whenever I meet someone and tell them I'm actually from D.C., they're always impressed. There are also a ton of liberals here, which has led to a huge upsurge in fag pride throughout the city. Fuck, I remember, back when I was a kid, there used to be parts of he city you just couldn't go to because it was too ghetto. But now, currently, you'll find all the blacks driven out by yuppies and fags. Every street corner you turn, you'll see a fag flag. As far as book stores go, there are only a handful of decent see book stores. Aside from that, everyone here is too caught up in politics and other SJW bull shit. The only virtue of living here is, admittedly, the diversity. There are all kinds of people living here, from all over the world. Oh, I almost forgot: there are very attractive women living here, too. But too bad they're all trashy, classless whores.

>inb4 i want to move to D.C.

Fuck off, were full

Sounds awful.

wasn't DC always liberal aside from the ghettos?

why not? we consider ourselves as ancient macedons mixed with slavs n shiet, its a good name and our regional identity developed as "macedonians" any way

The bookstores are nice atleast. Second Story books up in Dupont Circle is neat because while it's expensive, they sell a bunch of antique posters and stuff. Once I found a Italian Mussolini propaganda poster while looking at stuff, was expensive but would have been neat to pick up.

Rent is nasty tho, I pray for the day that gentrification hits east of Anacostia river just to open more of the city.

>we consider ourselves as ancient macedons mixed with slavs n shiet
>we consider ourselves as ancient macedons
Please be joking.

What even counts as Veeky Forums for a city? How do you get involved in a "literary scene"? I ask this because I'm from a failed town where such things aren't in existence.

no?

if you're in the US you have amazon so thats all the Veeky Forums your city needs to be imo, i've ordered books off amazon here as well but gotta wait a while and the shipping is usually 7-8$ plus im poor so only did it a few times

>no?
That's hilarious mate.

y? not even that weird by balkan standards, average balkanite (greeks included) is simple as fuck there's a reason we still kill reach other in the annual wars we have now n again

I'd wager Victoria is more Veeky Forums what with Munro's bookshop being co-owned by Alice Munro. That and Vancouver Island is the perfect retreat to write.

It's because protestants are subhuman

>he thinks Veeky Forums's Christian larpers are redneck southerners
>not Catholics
enjoy being an illiterate hillbilly.

i don't live in a city
i live a short walk from jane austen's house tho

>Sliema.
None at all lmao

Two points:
a) Protestants are not Christian. Only people who belong to Christ's Church (not Luther's or Calvin's) can be properly called Christian.
b) Evolution is, indeed, a lie. But not because of Obama, of course, but because Darwinism violates basic laws of probability theory. (Central Limit Theorem, etc.)

>Los Angeles

It's the artist capital of the world but probably for all the wrong reasons. So it's pretty Veeky Forums