Hew

How do I save a pretentious youth who thinks that big words=good writing

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/profile/Justin-Hew-1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Big words can aid in good writing. Pacing and such.

don't bother. you can't teach anyone if they're unwilling to listen. they'll have to learn for themselves.

whichever of those two illiterate retards you're supposed to be, you don't belong here
go back to your board

>wattpad
well there's your problem right there

he's in that phase where you try to razzmatazz every single sentence by going

>Ah, whilst verily you seem to think that you are quite indeedily doodily the very picturesque picturino of an 'erudite' (if I may so say so myself, I say) scholar, you are quite absolutely verily not indeed.

just wait until he hits 18. if it doesn't stop after that, he can't be fixed

Sorry dad

Edgy, my dude.

The issue is a colonial one: he, like many others, think non-Germanic words are inherently more valuable. I'm sure he'll eventually learn that multisyllabic words are best off when in contrast to more common mono- and disyllabic words.

I was trained out of that habit by being forced to write a few dozen sonnets.

Now, I have a decent vocabulary and can usually make sense of most things, but I have absolutely no clue what this passage means. There are words being used in combination and context that I cannot understand.

Also, your youth misspelled instransigent and forgot the apostrophe in doesn't. I'm getting mixed messages.

Is this autism?

They do.

It's nothing but the provincial bitterness and protestant neurosis so ingrained in English society, which sits behind the ear whispering angry denouncements of pride, that loftiest of sins, that says writing must be made short, comprehensible, accessible, in a word, humble.

This healthiness of writing, which can only find beauty in brevity and shrinks away from anything not easily consumable, finds the decedent contemptible, and wants dictionaries exemptible, has as much charm as a cheap prostitute who'll be bought by even the most vulgar and uneducated day laborer.

He's trying to write like a Continental but has no idea of how to do so effectively.

I'd show him some style guides for good writing which promote avoiding nominalisations where appropriate. He should know that using verbs is often clearer and more concise, and the mark of a better writer.

>He should know that using verbs is often clearer and more concise

Never attended any writing workshop before. Can you link any materials(videos,pdf etc) that goes more in depth about style?

"I'm just ameliorating my work"

lol wtf

quora.com/profile/Justin-Hew-1

Fuck

Twain wrote a whole paper on this, though I forgot where it was, my english teacher showed me it in 12th grade.

Also, from SiG, how many pages a day should I start reading? I was thinking about an hour a day so maybe around 60.

this is some good stuff

lel

holy...

lol what a tool

There's a difference between the way you're writing and the way he does. You use big words but they add effect to your writing, whereas the little shit weasel OP posted just threw words in there to sound smart.

I liked your comment though. Sounded very poetic and made a good point.

Is this correct?

>Physics and Math enthusiast

no its french

>what he is acknowledged of has him
Does he realize how many of these words are misplaced? The syntax here is completely wrong
>one whom possesses of
This can't be real
>the course and predicaments makes