Hey lit, whats your bedside book at the moment?

hey lit, whats your bedside book at the moment?

The Odyssey, by Homer.
Greek Myths, by Graves.

is it the edition w/ the comics on the cover?

> The Last Man, Cousin de Grainville, 1859 ed

Reading it in the language it was written in: French

Bed is for sleeping. If you need a book to relax there, you're tucking in too early.

>speak quickly, outlander
for some reason all my Gene Wolfe novels have absolutely hideous covers

>Bed is for sleeping
>he doesn't read before sleeping

and/or

>Bed is for sleeping

Don't you use for having the sex with literary qts?

Romance of the Three Kingdoms

The Art of War

Why does that pic looks so comfy? I just want to take a bite out of that Russel book.

This book is so boring it's literally just there to put me to sleep

normie faggot

God, this picture is so fucking pretentious.

I'll let it slide because of Eco, though.

Against the Day, Pinecone

Illogic of Kassel, Vila-Matas
Genoa, Paul Metcalf
Requiem, Curtis White
Locus Solus, Roussel
Jack Spicer lectures
2 by Sukenick
Imaginary Women, Michael Westlake
Goodnight Pun-Pun Vol 5, Asano

Freud - The Interpretation of Dreams.

The Time Machine

>babys first philosophy book, something by umberto eco, some short novella
>pretentious

Why do you get embarrassed by books, user?

I have Fooled by Randomness by my bed right now since I already read Antifragile and it's basically the same thing. It's super easy to read before sleep and doesn't have anything I have to follow

Thomas Wolfe's Look Homeward, Angel

Not him, but would owning the edition with the comics on the cover be a good or a bad thing?

Also sprach Zarathustra

As always

Tropic of Cancer

The handmaid's tale. Just starting.

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.

which translation?

A Clockwork Orange.

Nah mate, getting comfy with a good book helps me get to sleep. Otherwise, I stay up the entire night.

RSV

fucking herdprole

What other two books are those?

Shit that's confy

what's your instagram?

It's a translation

Blindsight by Peter Watts
He Died with his Eyes Open by Derek Raymond

nice dubs. its the lowered blacks
lel
thanks i guess. not sure if youre being sarcastic

Men Among the Ruins

Between Sartre and Camus by Vargas Llosa.

Anna Karenina, enjoying it a lot.

Started on this little thang today.

The Concept of Anxiety -Kierkegaard

- I have nothing to say about it. I'm not that far into it yet.

Brothers Karamazov. Been putting it off for years. 120 pages in and still nothing but overly dramatic Slavs

I wake up early to read. Bedtime is entirely dedicated to Stockhausen.

Poop

Siddhartha

Catch 22, it's really great; in fact, I'm going to go read it right now.

Just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods, currently reading Tehran at Twilight by Salar Abdoh and then I'm moving on to Yasutaka Tsutsui's Paprika and Charles Yu's How to live safely in a science fictional universe

patrician detected

A collection of short stories by Marky Mark Twain.

As I lay dying.

I always read books about books in bed.

>pic related
I didn't sleep much last night bc it's p good desu.

Based poop poster

why am i so pleb

is that baudolino? Why is it so thick?

I think it's The Island of the Day Before

Look at you with that milled receiver. Give us a better pic there gov'na.

Faggot

paulo Coelho - Eleven Minutes

There's a stack that looks like this from top to bottom:
>Heinrich von Ofterdingen - Novalis
>Demons Pt.1 - Dostojewski
>Demons Pt.2
>Collected Works - Hölderlin
>Latro in the Mist - Wolfe
>Soldier of Sidon - Wolfe

my curiosity remains. I have that book; its not that thick at all.

The other user was correct, it is The Island of The Day Before.

The green book is Tristram Shandy, and the one underneath that is a selection of plays by Sophocles, Aeschylus and Euripides.

The Sailor who fell from grace with the sea
Lolita
Collected poems of Hart Crane

I agree with that user. why is to thick? Pic related is my edition

I bought it used for next to nothing. The pages are yellowed and some what brittle, so I'd assume it got damp and was left out in the sun, causing the paper to expand. I've often seen two copies of the same book in thrift shops of differing thickness in proportion to their age or condition.

Moreover, mine is in English and yours Italian, and both are different editions.

paul auster - moon palace

>implying I read
I'm just here for the (You)'s.

They're my guilty pleasure, gotta tear through Isaac Bell books soon.

lol @ you photographing your books and putting instagram filters on them like a fagboy. also, fyi I've heard that book is biased as fuck to the point of not being worth reading.

I don't keep books by my "bedside" but I am currently reading Gargoyles by Thomas Bernhard (fiction) and One Dimensional Man by Herbert Marcuse (non-fiction).

basic bitch

any good online resources for understanding hart crane? I'm intimidated by him.

The History of Western Philosophy as well, plus the latest issue of The Baffler.

>also, fyi I've heard that book is biased as fuck to the point of not being worth reading.

It is biased indeed and I wouldn't recommend it as someone's first philosophy book, but if you can take it with some prior knowledge, and a grain of salt, its a delightful read.

Actually, dis the condiment. You're too salty already.

the bias actually makes me like certain philosophers more. Russell's hate boner for Plato and Christianity was quite funny desu

I'm the guy you replied to. So, if I have a bachelors degree in philosophy and want to read it mainly to patch up some holes in my knowledge as well as to get a "big picture" view of the development of western philosophy would it serve this purpose? Like I said I have looked into reading this book but I have heard to avoid it.

>Actually, dis the condiment. You're too salty already.
huh? I mean I understand what you're saying but what am I salty about?

Somebody actually took this picture and unironically posted it on their Tumblr and facebook. Fantastic.

>what am I salty about?
just joking because you're making fun of OP for posting that pic.

>So, if I have a bachelors degree in philosophy and want to read it mainly to patch up some holes in my knowledge as well as to get a "big picture" view of the development of western philosophy would it serve this purpose?

Yes. You don't even need to know that much. Just know that the author has got some biases against some philosophers and some in favor of others. He will make it apparent, though, so don't be worried of being tricked or anything. In general its a delightful read.

Honestly, thanks. I had wanted to read it but Veeky Forums practically bit my head off when I asked about it

Not to brag, but...I'm currently nearly 500 pages into Ulysses and finding it quite deserving of its reputation among the cultural elite. Indeed it is my bedside table book currently, but that is simply because I do not spend many hours of my daily life apart from it. Joyce, while hopelessly erudite to some, is truly a beacon of enlightenment for me, an opportunity, finally, to commune with a worthy mind.

Can this become pasta?

Is the comma usage correct in this sentence?

yup

the comma between "for me" and "an opportunity" is debatable, but I've seen dependent clauses appended with commas like that many many times, so it's probably close enough to standard

haven't posted it anywhere else. I just took the pic because I thought it looked good, messed with the blacks and contrast an uploaded here. as some other user said, posting pictures of books is really pretentious; i would never do it in any of my social media.

my cover says "the history..." but the first page has the same "a history". however, there's no "and its connection with..." anywhere in the book.

>Joyce, while hopelessly erudite to some, is truly a beacon of enlightenment for me, an opportunity, finally, to commune with a worthy mind.

I guess its correct. But a semicolon would be better imo.

>Joyce, while hopelessly erudite to some, is truly a beacon of enlightenment for me; an opportunity, finally, to commune with a worthy mind.

or even

>Joyce, while hopelessly erudite to some, is truly a beacon of enlightenment for me: an opportunity, finally, to commune with a worthy mind.

Please respond. I'm trying to refine my English writing.

Right now I'm reading through this bad boy.
Fun stories, plus Howard really knows how to write action scenes. Not to mention it looks pretty.

Guns, Germs, and Steel. By Jared Diamond

Plato's complete works and Yotsubato volume 1

Semicolon doesn't work because the second clause isn't an independent one. Colon is dubious. I would probably use a dash or reformulate the sentence.

WILFRID SELLARS!!!!!!!!!!

a season in hell, rimbaud

Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer, just started it

Does it matter which order I read the books in?

The Twelve Chairs

One of my favourites

lol! buffy and socrates. such good taste

Are you the same person who took this?

The Familiar Vol. 1, by Mark Danielewski

>2666, Roberto Bolano
reading it very slowly but I'm working my way through it

Not really, this one actually portrays the different "human conditions" and was his most famous one.

no