What is the fanciest book you own?

What is the fanciest book you own?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XJg_WMw56Hw?t=31s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ancient edition of les rois maudits with cover like i the divine comedy in your pic, with medieval illustrations in here

Pic related. Leather binding is exactly the same as when I was a child. Gold leaf. The silk bookmark might have faded a little, but the wisdom hasn't. One of the few things my dad left me, I'll probably be buried with it.

That's really sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Which dialogues?

Good father.

>The silk bookmark might have faded a little, but the wisdom hasn't.

>buried with it

user, what the fuck? I think your father planned for you to hand it down to your son

disregard if you won't have a son

Not really. He left my mom, unborn brother and I to start a new family. I've met them a few times. They seem well adjusted. Such is life.

Pic related. I read some of it as a kid and it had a definite influence. Not a super-complete book, but good selections at least.

I'm 35, Army vet and starting a career as a cop. I'm not having kids. F-u-c-k being married. Seen too many friends being miserable. Maybe in 15 years.

Nicest books I own desu. I like Hemmmmingway and I was really happy when I bought this collection.

I like your collection user. And sorry I got tight last night.

Nice Hemmmmmingway. What's that little trilogy of Everymans?

A thing from a Catholic church.

I'm not really sure what it is. But it is entirely in Latin, from cover to cover. It's not a Bible; I don't think it's a hymnbook either.

Also it's in storage so no pics.

Thanks user, it's a three part edition of "War and Peace". I have yet to read it tho

I have that book. It's faux leather.

I own an old "Wilhelm Tell" from my grandpa printed in the Weimar republic

Where can I buy quality leather-bound books?

youtu.be/XJg_WMw56Hw?t=31s

Ebay, sometimes Amazon. Franklin Libray & Easton Press are the best.

My bible

Essential Veeky Forums viewing

My everymans library and easton press collection. I have some old Heritage Press copies my grandfather owned, which I now have, too.

I've got a first edition of Against the Day in pretty good condition that I'm going to hang on to for a while.
Otherwise I have this book of collected philosophical works that was printed at the dawn of 1900 or else dusk of 1800. Not in phenomenal condition but it's pretty neat.

So what? Donate it or something, instead of doing litteraly nothing with it.

That Unknown Country (War & Peace just for scale). No idea what it is really, can't find anything online about it.

Folio illustrated edition of Catch 22

Also a modern re-printing of the original edition of Oliver Twist, including weird racist Cruikshank plates

Beautiful, but the choice to include those 3 philosophers in one book is kind of strong, in my opinion. Other than stoic themes in Apology, Crito, and Phaedo, what do Plato's work have to do with Epictetus and Aurelius?

>kind of strong
kind of strange&

The book for big men

Myths and Legends of Greece and Rome by E.M Berens printed in 1880 which my grandfather left to me. It's in pretty good condition, considering it's age. Nice gold embossed hardcover.

Might be a prayer book, maybe a psalter or something?

These are surprisingly cheap on Amazon if anyone is interested.

This huge edition, the spine is like 2.5 feet long, of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner from 1881 with illustrations by Gustave Dore. It's very fragile but its a gorgeous book that's apparently been in my family since it was brand new. I can take a picture of it if anyone is interested.

I have several volumes from the Great Books of the Western World.

And what is good, Phaedrus,
And what is not good—
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

The war and peace is kinda shitty. The text is so close to the inside margin that it makes it difficult to read.

Yes please. With something next to it for scale

It's been awhile since I pulled it out. It's probably more like two feet now that I'm looking at it. As you can see the golden letters on the cover still shine like crazy.

And here's one of the illustrations. Had to take the picture with my phone. I'm not sure why it's uploading sideways but this phone is garbage so I'm not surprised.

I don't wanna spam but lastly here's another Gustave Dore illustrated book that was given to me by my grandfather. Enid, published in 1869. This one is in much worse condition unfortunately. The spine is basically non existent so I have to be very careful with it. Still, the illustrations inside are beautiful.

Where can I go to get a awesome looking Bible like that?

The spine looks like a Franklin Press edition. Technically, it's "Genuine Leather", the lowest quality leather above bonded.

Abebooks is a good choice. Hit advanced search and go by publisher.

It's not Franklin, it's "Grolier Enterprises Corp." in their Harvard Classics series: If you see it in person and feel it you can tell pretty quickly that it's not Franklin. It just feels a lot smoother.

borders

>Seen too many friends being miserable. Maybe in 15 years
>is currently 35
So do you think having a disabled child will increase or decrease your chances of being miserable?

I'm not sure myself but have noticed that Plato, Epictetus, and Aurelius all have an intellectually therapeutic quality. Easy to understand, beautifully written, and mostly optimistic. Not a bad selection for an introduction to the Greeks - depending on which dialogues are included.

god, I want that so fucking bad.

>$60 edition

Convince me to not to buy this, because I'm fucking about to

wew lad

Is this kino?

Scholastic book fair kino

The Centipede Press edition of Jekyll and Hyde is probably my nicest book. The boards and slipcase are both bound in velvet and the illustrations are gorgwous.

Interesting, haven't seen that publisher before.

Got mine for 32$ but i will not convince you not to buy it.

>wanting that gaudy piece of shit

Probably a breviary or a missal

massive 19th century leather bound bible that some of my family history is recorded in, including my own birth