Has there ever been a cuisine more overrated than Korean?

Has there ever been a cuisine more overrated than Korean?

>I've never had good korean food because I live in the middle of arkansas
Bulgogi is fucking god-tier and mulnaengmyeon is the best dish in the summer. Korean BBQ is also fucking fantastic.

Have you forgotten Mexican, French, and all of SEA?

I don't think it's overrated, generally speaking. It gets blown out of proportion here in LA, however. It's very good, but not the second coming of jesus like people claim.

Vietnamese is most overrated, imo.

>Vietnamese is most overrated
A million times this.
Bahn Mi is such a garbage sandwich and Pho is the most overrated dish in the history of time. Only MUH AUTHENTIC RAMEN even comes close.

Japanese cuisine, once one get past the sushi, curry, etc. It's rather dull

They've got good carnival foods, but beyond that it is rather bland. Sometimes I question whether they realize that there are any flavors other than soy.

All cuisine is overrated and all food sucks and I hate cooking and I hate myself so I just eat fast food drink soda and energy drinks and shitpost on Veeky Forums about things I don't understand.

Seafood is good, though.

There are worse, but Korean food is pretty much throw kimchi and cheese on a bunch of pork and call it a day.

Koreaboo detected.

Banh mi is great. How can pork belly, pate, and pickled vegetables not be wonderful?

Pho is a little overrated, but bun bo hue is one of my favorite wintertime dishes.

IMO, the most overrated cuisine is Sichuanese.
>muh one note "numbing spiciness"
>everything swimming in a puddle of chili oil
Literally every other regional cuisine of China is better

>Bahn Mi is such a garbage sandwich
you fucking what

>cheese

>I had bibimbap once and it was meh
You know that shit is just a bowl of leftover banchan, right?
Get some jjigae sometime, or tteokboki and then tell me korea doesnt have some solid dishes.

Its popular so its bad. Fuck you.

Kimchi tastes like a 9volt battery with lysol on it

It's just a gross sandwich.

Since this is the closest thing to a chink food general: my local wing place just introduced thai satay sauce. What should that taste like?

This.

It's dry as fuck. Zero condiments.

I've got a local place that does one with hot sauce and smoked gouda. It's really good and it's not dry.

French

>Zero condiments.
Pate, mayo

There are different types of bahn mi.
Pho is also perfect for hangovers.

They got solid desserts for an island nation though

Korean food is booze food

Spicy Peanut and sweet chili. Think of a malaysian restaurant when they serve you those skewers with dipping sauce

Never been to a malaysian restaurant, unfortunately. It sounds worth trying though. Thanks for the input.

No, I agree OP.

Its pretty shit despite growing in popularity.

Vietnamese is kino and imo underrated.

Malaysian is great. OG fusion cuisine with influences from across Southeast Asia.

French is rated just right (the king of cuisine)

I don't understand what you're trying to point out, cheese user is correct. I am in Korea and they literally just put Kraft singles on every dish and act like it's a revolutionary new thing

>mulnaengmyeon
fpbp as always

Mexican food, seriously

I'd say it's like the 5th or 6th most popular asian cuisine where I live, which seems about right desu.
Koreaboos overrate it but they aren't actually a very prominant demographic offline in the west.

tteokbokki is not the dish I would sell korean food with, especially to someone who didn't like bibimbap

Can we stop making /int/-tier shit threads?

I don't know who came up with Bun Bo Hue but I can tell you he sure wasn't stupid.

Scandinavian

t. 56%

"Overrated" means the size of disparity between the hype and the results.

So, gotta agree. Korean cuisine is neither world-famous nor abysmally bad, so the disparity is quite moderate.

OTOH, Japanese food - it's meh. But the hype - the sushi bars, the weaboos going nuts about "genuine Japanese ramen", the stupid hype generic Pocky Sticks get, the whole CULT - that's way out of proportions.

So, as for overrated - I think it's damn high. I think only Mexican, French and Italian get this level of hype, but their cuisine is actually better. One could also consider British Cuisine for the dubious award - while not nearly as hyped, it's actually horrible.

I don't know about French and SEA but as a Mexican I would definitely say "Mexican" food is overrated in the West especially by the millenial "omg Chipotle is life" meme

Mexican seafood is deeply underrepresented and underrated though. And so are broth/stew dishes like menudo/pozole and caldo de res that are typically only made at home by someone's mother

Probably British food. Dull and fattening.

It's tasty but why's it always so fucking expensive?

You can find plenty of cheap Chinese, you might even be lucky and find a decently priced place with great Japanese. But all Korean restaurants are some bullshit like $13+ a dish, and this is in Korean majority neighbourhoods that aren't targeting flyovers.

They charge that much because Korean people will pay absurd amounts of money to eat Korean food and "white people" don't know any better. Korean people, especially those actually born in Korea but living/traveling abroad are like drug addicts when it comes to their food, they'll pay whatever it takes to get a hit.

Are you me?

I miss all the cheap but high quality foods in Korea. All the Korean foods here are shit and overpriced (owners know it too), but I still buy them because I have no choice.

id like to try korean bbq. never had it

we had this at the restaurant i worked at

it was a pub

>Has there ever been a cuisine more overrated than Korean?

Yes. Chinese food.

Literally everything is fried in a shitload of oil and presented to you mixed with another shitload of oil.

How do you like your Chinese desert? I hope you like either bland egg tart with no flavor or something fried in more oil.

Whats that? But muh noodles? That's right my bad, you can have noodles with oil or you can have faaty oil soup with noodles. Dumplings you say? Better put fatty pork oil inside the dumplings.

Fuck Chinese food so god dam much.

And yes I have been to Hong Kong, Shenzen and Guangzhou. Fuck all of it.

I agree. Best food I had in HK was jap and gook. Dim Sum is the most overrated shit of all time, and yes, I've been to the places the locals go and ordered what the locals order because I went with locals. Even went to one of those michelin starred places and it was the same. """chinese""" food made for westerners is GOAT tier when you're high af though.

>Pho is also perfect for hangovers.

So is every other soup, and there are much better ones.

Italian.

>muh pasta
>muh tomatoes

This.

My 2 jars of sauce and a packet of mince tastes the same if not better then a dinner for 2 at an Italian restaurant.

it's not overrated, it's just a meme to pay a bunch of money for stuff you can make really cheap and equally as good at home just knowing a few basics

Nobody overrates British "cuisine" though.

Korean food is great when you live in Korea because it's cheap as tasty

Outside of Korea it's literally not worth it

Make your own, it's fucking cheap

No we don't

>Has there ever been a cuisine more overrated than Korean?
Not in my opinion. I've very very rarely heard anyone hype up Korean food.

I don't think it's anything great, but at the same time I never hear anyone praise it either.

Would say French is underrated though

lol at all you cunts, stopped reading after korean,vietnamese and japanese food were called.
friendly reminder that never having had a good version of X means nothing besides you never having had a good version of X

>mulnaengmyeon
Soba?

Other than a good hot and sour soup, I agreed with you.

This. Korean food is okay, but I don't see a lot of people fawning over it. I'd say it is pretty appropriately rated.

t. Socrates

>Vietnamese white flyover meme food is overrated
No shit, hick, go get a passport.

>get vietnamese food from vietnamese cultural festival
>it's shit
>get vietnamese food from literally fresh off the boat vietnamese
>it's shit
>get vietnamese from what's described as a highly authentic vietnamese restaurant
>it's shit
>say fuck it and make it at home using the "most authentico" recipe I can find
>what a twist it's still fucking shit
It turns out no matter the skin color or socioeconomic status of the person preparing the poverty dishwater broth it's ALWAYS shit.

Thai and Szechuan are the only good Asian cuisines. Japan's only contribution is sushi, and even that struggles to keep up.

What dishes specifically did you try? Vietnamese cuisine is one of my favorites.

>banh mi
Again, how can a pate/pork sandwich be anything but delicious?
>bun bo hue
Literally the best type of spicy noodle soup I've ever had. People harp on about pho during the winter months but bun bo hue is ten times better.
>spring rolls
These are like crack to me.
>bun cha (rice noodle salad)
Incredibly refreshing but also wonderfully filling.

Szechuan cuisine is just a one-trick pony.

So where exactly do I get good versions of these foods? I havw lived in Korea, visited japan multiple times and visited vietnam and I still find the food overrated. Oh let me guess I just didn’t go to the “right” places

end yourself my dude

Go eat some galbitang and come rethink what you just said. And some of those little dried fish served with peanuts.

Korean food is fucking amazing but you have to get used to a lot of the flavors.

First time I had kim chi I hated it. Second time it was weird. Third time it was interesting. Fourth time it was dank.

Once you get Kim Chi it's like the whole world of Korean food gets unlocked. That shit is amazing.

If you sit down for full on bon chon it's a blast to eat too. You get to choose the composition of each mouthful "bit of rice, bit of bulgogi, bit of chili sauce, bit of radish kim chi."

That's a really neat feature.

That would mean they were hyped in the first place.

italian food, peasant food with a high class image

Gotta agree here. Korean isn't much but few hype Korean much anyway. Only Asians cuisines that are worth the hype are Indian, Chinese and Thai. They're also top 3 in the world cuisine rankings. Japanese is sooo mediocre if you take out the whole first world thing, it's below Vietnam. If flips were as rich as Japan they'd be a better cuisine too.

Also the number one cuisine benefiting from not anglo-germanic-first world hype is French cuisine. It'd be Morocco tier if it wasn't rich and revered by the brits.

Anyone have a good recipe for Korean rice cakes in chili sauce with cheese? What kind of cheese do I use? I don't have the highest tolerance for spice so could someone here direct me to a milder brand/style of Korean chili powder I could buy on Amazon? I really like the idea of the dish but I've yet to have a really good version at a restaurant.

Most asian food is overrated by itself tbqh

It's only good when you combine elements from everything. Thai and Vietnamese are pretty average to okay when by themselves, but GOAT together.

Wet soba.

Underrated.

>a lot of the flavors

There’s only one.

I've /been/ to vietnam, dicknose. It's gross fuckin food.

There's probably 0 to little korean presence in your town/city, which means the few operating korean joints can crank the prices sky-high.
Visit any metropolitan area on the west coast and you can find cheap korean everywhere.

I live in flyover town and there's only two korean restaurants, and they both charge $12-14 for any of their dishes.
>dubujjigae
>$15
what the FUCK

korean food is pretty overrated where i live but desu i think the same goes for french, italian, spanish, or any western cuisine out there
it's just a matter of palate and preference which really, culture and ethnicity determines alot
whities make french food to be the god of cuisine but i can't see where all the hype is coming from
t. gook

Why would you go on the internet and like, Chink?

Korean is poor man's japanese. Everything korea does is an inferior knockoff of japanese stuff. K pop is ear-paining niggerfied version of J pop. Korean manga is shitty ripoff of real manga. Korean women are over-plastic version of japanese idols. Korean food is dogshit pretending to be japanese food. Koreans deserve extermination. They're more chinese than the chinese.

Beef bowl is divine. Make it yourself.

Koreans are jewy whores. Inferior product at inflated prices.

>They're more chinese than the chinese.

you understand that their old capital used to translate literally as "Chinese City"

is food even good??
why do people like it?

what's the fucking point

This.
And not because I don't find the cuisine delicious, it's just because whenever anyone talks about eating italian food it's always some variation of canned sauce, pre-made noodles, pizza, lasagna, and frozen ravioli.

It's boring. Especially when there are so many seafood dishes that are excellent.

>Kimchi tastes like a 9volt battery with lysol on it
There are over a dozen varieties of kimchi, Most are delicious pickled cabbage and radish with other veggies thrown in. The kind that is made intentionally fizzy is like someone made sauerkraut into a spicy soda.

Koreans are generally conservative and rich. They know how to play the economic game. Look at Samsung, for instance.

> Chinese desert

Had some chinese rice candy. mixed flavors. Pretty good, though nothing special, except for the shrimp flavor ones.

Shrimp flavor candy.
What The Fuck.

Jjajangmeyon or however you spell it is god-tier. Shut the fuck up Korean food is amazing, the only thing I don't like is how spicy a lot of it is.

>dull
Bruh what? I bet you've never eaten anything aside from ramen and sushi. Reality check: There's tons of delicious Japanese recipes. My favorite is sakamushi.

>14-15 is "expensive"
And thought I was poor.

because you live in a cornfield

I can get bibimbap or yukgaejang for $8 around the corner from work, or I can drop $120 per head on korean food at the fancy place 3 blocks from work

>b-but houston/chicago/atlanta/dallas aren't cornfields

Yes they are, cleetus

the barbecue offered in restaurants certainly isn't fantastic. It's a nice experience for sure though.

KBBQ spots usually offer a somewhat better tier of meat than bottom-end Americlap meat joints because you're literally staring at and smelling the raw meat

a) because it's not commonplace and koreans will pay the premium without a blink
b) because korea is not 3rd world.
never seen a decently priced japanese place that wasn't just emulating the chinese cheapskate strategies. On the other hand, i've had "korean" offered from fast food stalls with that same old rice box like the chinese, japanese etc.
If you want quality authentic food, you gotta pay up or learn to make it yourself with more than faint descriptions to guide you.

It's just that you can get much higher quality food for CHEAPER prices back in Korea. This drives Korean immigrants insane

>Jjajangmeyon
literally looks like warmed over faeces

Bruh

Jajangmyeon is Chinese

I never said anything about jajangmyeon

I cannot for the life of me figure why the fuck Italian food is so hyped.