/CG/ Coffee General

Thread for tips, suggestions, questions and comfy posts about everything coffee related.

Other urls found in this thread:

jimseven.com/2016/04/05/lightness-darkness-roasting/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I found a hario skerton at the swap meet for $2, it was missing the crank handle though.
What can I use in it's place?

Your penis

I figured I would start drinking coffee because its much cheaper than energy drinks, but it's only good with sugar, splenda is gross
also I got a coffee pot and then my room mate made coffee and didn't change the filter after so when I went to use it the next time there was mold that had made it all over the inside.
the whole thing had to be thrown away

Natural roast coffee... rather than removing the bean from the cherry, it's allowed to ripen as a piece, then separated. Remarkable flavor.

Drink it black pussy, or are you a 12 year old girl?

Adjustable spanner?

I hate the flavour of unwashed coffee.

do you not salt your food or something? do you eat white bread with no butter or jelly or anything either?
I guess you can drink it black if you like bland one note cigarette juice

the mid-west was a mistake

also this shit is killing my teeth. They have gotten so yellow in such a short time

>do you not salt your food or something? do you eat white bread with no butter or jelly or anything either?
Coffee has its own taste.
>I guess you can drink it black if you like bland one note cigarette juice
You have the palate of a child. Stop posting ITT.

Am i the only one that snorts instant cofee?

>General

A power drill

I checked hario's site, a single replacement crank arm is $8 plus $15 shipping, I might as well buy a new skerton at that price.

I found an adjustable spanner and it works, but it's not ideal, plus I can't put the screw over the top to lock the spanner in place.
I'm thinking a locking wrench would work, but they're so big, it seems like overkill, plus they all come lubricated and I don't want to accidentally eat lubrication oil.

anyone tried pic related? just ordered some on Amazon, specifically the Valhalla Java.

Both of those seem very tryhard and expensive because they sell on their brand image alone.
Don't support shitty business practices.

>also this shit is killing my teeth. They have gotten so yellow in such a short time
You're probably a just a gross slob who never learned proper hygiene.

Any good brands you could recommend that are sold on Amazon or online?

>tfw beans are getting stale
>nearest coffee roaster is a 20 minute drive

>his coffee has a brand name
lmao

Why are you replying to me? My roaster does not sell branded beans

but the roaster's name is on the bags right?
that's a brand

Do you grow the beans yourself or some shit? I don't feel like roasting my own since there's already a million other things I make from scratch.

So we should grow our beans out of cowshit in a field in Nicaragua?

If you love coffee like I do, you should try to get your hands on
>pic related
from DEK in Hamburg, Germany.
Tip: One teespoon is enough for a big mug.

I've got nothing more to say and leave it do you whenever you follow my advice or not.

>hey user why don't you just use a kcup machine??
>user you're such a hipster

Wanna do drip coffee at home. Was looking into hario stuff: grinder, pour over kettle, the dripper thingy and the thing the coffee goes into. It's a little bit expensive in Australia but I don't mind treating myself. Is there anything else I should consider first?

Don't get a Hario grinder, it's trash. Get an Aergrind, cheapest good one on the market (save for great deals on used stuff). Maybe see what Breville Smart goes for over there too, since I know they're an Australian company. If you can't afford anything better than Hario, get it ground at the roaster until you can. They're really just straight up trash: prima-coffee.com/learn/article/grinder-basics/is-it-always-better-grind-fresh

Their v60 dripper is great. Tricky for a beginner compared to something like the Clever, but imo better results and not too tough once you learn. Look at Scott Rao's tutorials for it.

Their kettle is pretty ok ,though overpriced for what it is. You can get a generic stovetop gooseneck kettle with better ergonomics for half the price. If you were looking at their electric, look at Fellow or Bonavita too.

The carafe, really anything'll work. I have a Hario one and a vintage Pyrex Silex one. If your cup is big enough you can even just use that.

drinking this atm, the good thing about living in europe is that you can actually get cheap decent coffee at the supermarket

brew it properly and stop being a pussy
a touch of milk is the only other acceptable way because it brings the temperature down so you can drink it faster

i like Kicking horse

what things?

And growing coffee, I mean good cofee is not easy.

t. Edgy hipster faggot

Let me illustrate why I disregarded your post.
>he bought a kickstarter grinder
>he buys overpriced breville anything
>he's endorsing preground coffee
>he needs tutorials to use a pourover

unless you grow and roast your own beans, kinda get fucked.

Where am I supposed to buy cone-shaped filters for V60?

Amazon

Can someone explain to me why you wouldn't just get a coffee drip machine and call it a day?
It's literally an automated pour over and modern ones even come with a reusable basket filter so you don't have to keep buying them.

Biggest factor is they're not good and attaining and maintaining proper water temp.
Also, they have shit water distribution and they're a pain in the ass to clean which means they never get cleaned properly

*at attaining

Switch to a whitening toothpaste and actually brush your teeth and that won't be an issue.
Have three different coffee blends at a coffee shop black tell me they all taste exactly the same and I will call you a fucking pleb since you obviously don't taste shit so much and shove it down your fat necked gullet.

Ali
Ali blir du gla' i
Ali Kaffe,
Kurerer gruff
Huff huff huff!

Fresh Roasted Coffee LLC. MAKE SURE you pick the option that's shipped by them, not Amazon. You do not want the shit that's been sitting in a warehouse.

fight me

>nescafe
while the inventor of instant coffee (dry freezing) they also make the most disgusting coffee. this isn't even a fight.

>han kjoper ikke coop rod for 25 kr pakken når det er på tilbud

you ever been in a hotel before? or at a training course? A seminar?

You fucking PRAY nescafe is what is there. The world has far worse coffee instant than nescafe my baby boy.

- Folgers
- maxwell house
- International roast
- Moccona

Nope, I consider Nescafe most bottom of the list. It really rubs my tastebuds the wrong way. Maxwell House pretty much comes second from the bottom but with distance. Maxwell House tastes like something burned or charcoal mixed in, it's bad but still not as disgusting as Nescafe.

Pretty much all instant coffee is bad in some way. The only exception I tasted until now is: Other products from the same company are still bad, though.

>I've become too lazy to clean my coffee maker, I've resorted to rubber banning a filter around the lid of a jar, putting the coffee in and just pouring hot water over from my kettle
The funny thing is, this is probably more work then cleaning my pot would be. I hate my house. No matter how much I dust, it shows back up and ends up getting in my maker.

Salt Spring is the only commercial coffee I truly like. might be hard to find. otherwise Lavazza is acceptable.

best thing to do is to just buy from a local roaster though.

all commercial coffees taste the same. burnt.

this is actually pretty decent for instant coffee.

the dictionary doesnt lie :^)

test

best coffee maker coming through
french press can suck my throbbing coffee fueled cock

347, loud and clear, have a good flight

Is it fine to brew dark roasts in moka pots or will the product be too bitter to taste the flavors? Should I press this stuff or moka it?

Fair trade non gmo south asian roast

I make a suppository with it. Works well.

From an already reputable grinder company

I don't, I'm mentioning it since idk if it might be more cost effective in Australia

As an alternative to a Hario grinder, ground when you buy it (not preground months ago) is straight up better

Most pourover methods horribly underextract

It's not fine to drink dark roasts ever

Pourovers only underextract if they have too many holes, or too large a hole.
Also, if you grind too fine, you'll end up choking the filter and the wet coffee silt will be packed far too tightly for water to penetrate and actually extract anything after the 2nd pour.

If your wet grounds look indistinguishable from mud and it takes 5 minutes to go through all your water, your grind is too fine.

>Most pourover methods horribly underextract
No, they don't. Your grind is fucked
>Pourovers only underextract if they have too many holes, or too large a hole.
You mean like the V60, widely accepted as one of the best pourover devices?

v60 is a meme, water barely has any time in contact with the grounds so you have to pour extremely slowly with a specialty kettle in order to get a decent cup
people have mistakenly called this "technique" when in reality, it's a coping device to hide the flaws of the v60

You are literally retarded

nope

Wrong. Most people pour in too many stages allowing the water to cool too much. They also fail to stir the bloom, which leads some grounds to not be saturated right away and lessens extraction.

What do you guys think of spicing up your cuppa with cinnamon and/or allspice or any other festive goodies?

Pulse pouring and bloom stirring are not even remotely as big of a factor as grind size/quality

Still an absolute requirement. Your coffee will be underextracted even with a well dialed in EK43 without it.

Well, NOT pulse pouring being the requirement. It's problematic since it lets the coffee cool too much.

What are some comfy coffee related books?

What's wrong with dark roasts as long as you aren't drinking them just because they're bitter? Anyone have good experience with this particular blend?

It's good. A clove or two and a little cinnamon is perfect.

Dark roasts are poo poo pee pee.

The reason third wave coffee shies away from dark roasts is because with anything past Full City+ all you are tasting is the roast and not the beans themselves. You wont be able to taste the difference in the cultivar, processing, etc

It basically just robs the coffee of its flavor and replaces it with the flavor of the roast.

FWIW even a dark roast, if roasted and brewed properly, should not be very bitter and some beans do need a darker roast than others. Something like a natural processed gesha you're going to want to pull right after first crack whereas something like a giling bassah processed sumatra mandheling you're going to want it a bit darker. The aroma volatiles primarily responsible for bitterness mostly come from over extraction.

You *NEVER* want to get to the end of first crack with any coffee. Nordic roast is the only correct kind.

Spoken like someone with no experience or even a clue about coffee roasting. Every bean should be treated differently. Even the same cultivar from the same farm might need to be roasted differently year to year. You can just say, "Oh, I've got a honey processed Ethopian Caturra, gotta roast it to city."

That's just asinine. Also, its generally agreed upon that coffee isn't considered drinkable until it has reached at least a cinnamon roast which is at the very beginning of first crack or about 196C

I'll also direct you here. jimseven.com/2016/04/05/lightness-darkness-roasting/

Cinnamon is far past drinkable. Jim is a fucking hack. Look at the roasting methods of Tim Wendelboe for someone actually competent at proper roasting.

>Cinnamon is far past drinkable

Oh, so you're just trolling. Okay.

you are just too fucking stupid to use the easiest method of making coffee