Have any of you ever had Cauliflower?

Have any of you ever had Cauliflower?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6IZ77uewMWI
google.com/amp/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2-1942900.amp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes

I dunno, probably.

How did it taste?

No, too expensive now the Paleo/Gluten Free tribe found it.

I-its so symmetrical

Yes.

>broccoli's evil twin
Yes, it's disgusting.

tastes great with garlic butter and maybe some melted cheese, salt and pepper.

Yes, I love cauliflower preparations at Indian restaurants.

Yeah sometimes. Put in food processor and then lightly fry in olive oil and butter. Mix in curry powder, tumeric, cayenne, and coriander. Very good side.

Yes, I blanch in a court bouillon then cool it in the fridge. Gives me something to snack on throughout the week.

never heard of it

Whole roasted cauliflower is delicious.
And not even very bad for you.

It makes for a great soup

Yes
Honestly nothing tastes like cauliflower.

Steamed, it was ok. Steamed with cheese sauce was great. Raw or vold, fuckin disgusting. Can't really describe the flavor.

My mom makes soup with it, it's nice. I love eating it raw though, it's crunchy and refreshing. It maybe tastes most like cabbage, but it has unique flavour and texture.

Behold the greatest cauliflower dish

youtube.com/watch?v=6IZ77uewMWI

hon mention to indo-chinese gobi manchurian

that looks really tasty for vegcuck food

>indo-chinese gobi manchurian
just looked this up and it sounds superb

pickled cauliflower is exquisite

it really, really is

I make 1 box of that shit daily at work,

you need to find a better lunch to bring to work

roast and curried are nice

pretty good stir-fried with some soy sauce and garlic desu

Fry that shit up and bathe it in coconut red curry sauce

t. soyboy

i like it mushy

this
roasted, in stir fry, in curry, raw
if you really feel lazy you can just rub some olive oil and spice on it and throw the whole head in the over for a little while

:(

yes, and i eat it semi-regularly
just like with veg like broccoli, cabbage or brussels sprouts, once you get past the sewer smell, the taste really redeems it.
it took until i was 24 and grew out of the aspie diet before i could eat it though

its a normal fucking vegetable, if you never had it youre fucking weird

Great with cheese, also raw with some sort of cocktail sauce is great.

>boil till soft in salt water
>add breadcrumbs into pan
>add GOOD amount of butter
>let breadcrumbs brown
>pour over Cauliflower

Enjoy.

>No, too expensive now the Paleo/Gluten Free tribe found it.

Eh, wait for farmers to make extra to meet demand, then see the price rocket down to where it used to be, or even lower, as they try to get the rest of it sold off.

>Have any of you ever had Cauliflower?

Good in curry.

>Have any of you ever had Cauliflower?

Scandi here - the idea that cauliflower could be some exotic thing that people might not have had is really activating my almonds right now, I eat that stuff on the regular.

You mean there are people who haven't? What the fuck
It's like not having ever eaten onion or broccoli

Nope. Nobody could have possibly tried this exotic vegetable.

I've had some excellent mashed cauliflower at Tommy Bahama's.

Smells like farts.

I eat it raw tastes fine. Maybe a bit milder than broccoli

Who hasn't?

Cauliflower and cheese pie is the shit.

This.
All mu childhood staples are suddenly "new" and "superfoord". I've been eating kale since 1975.
It's just a vegetable!

broccoflower master race

This. And when it cools down, you can cut it into florets and make a salad with flaked almonds, dried cranberries and English spinach.

cut into slices, olive oil, salt,pepper,garlic,red chili flakes marinade.
put on oven tray and roast for 20 min.

tasty stuff

do you Americans eat everything with melted cheese?

I alternate between steamed and raw. I really love how raw cauliflower feels and tastes.

Same. Soft cauli and tomato stir fry with rice porridge is the best sick food, on par with chicken and mushroom soup and crusty bread. Similar to pic but a bit drier, but pic would also be good because cauli just goes really well with tomats.

Forgot pic like a tard. Here it is.

I'm a Veeky Forums newfag. I can't tell if /pol/ levels of sarc.. have some of you goys srsly neverv a ten cauliflower? It's the king of brassicas..

Most boards operate under heavy, multi-layered sarcasm. And also, remember that this board is very diverse and many foods that are staples to us may be unfamiliar to others. In short: lurk moar

Great. Another four years

>only 4 years
You're a newfag until you breach 10 years.

Everyone's a newfag user.

This post made me sad because I have spent 9 years on this damn intercontinental women's roller derby messaging board.

You think that's bad, I started my apprenticeship in 92

They are too expensive now fad diet losers are using it as a low carb gluten free everything replacement. I can understand to an extent that they are expensive because they have to be in very good condition to look palatable. I can imagine there is an awful lot of waste on the way to the supermarket with partially rotten, muddy, smashed and damaged heads which personally I wouldn't mind as one medium cauliflower in season costs about the same as 12 courgettes or 3 bell peppers or 5lb of onions or 6lb of carrots or a large pumpkin or 8 beetroots or 12lb of potatoes or three heads of broccoli or 2 butternut squash.

Cauliflower pakora is delicious. Lightly boiled and salted is good too. Cauliflower soup is nice, but can be a delicate flavour and requires finesse. Cauliflower cheese is maybe my least favourite way of serving it.

How much has the price been driven up? How much per pound?

They don't tend to sell them by the lb here they tend to be sized. While the sizes will be graded by weight, they don't really specify the weight. I remember back in the day when they were just considered an everyday vegetable and a medium cauliflower was about the same price as a head of broccoli, 39p? These days a medium cauliflower costs 3-4 times that so £1.20? Inflation is a factor, but a head of broccoli is still around 39p.

What the fuck, it varies between 59 cents up to $2 a pound here. Its really not expensive, but the big heads are pretty heavy, and a single brain can cost five bucks.
So its not cheap, but not so much you cant afford it. These fuckers grow so fast there is no good reason why production cant be boosted. Its not like a product that requires a tree to grow first, or some super rare special climate. Shit grows anywhere.

Yeah a big head of cauliflower can weigh quite a lot, the sort of one that you'd have to hold in two hands would cost £2-3 so compared to $5 this is actually quite cheap, but you have to compare it to the cost of other things.

A medium chicken costs £3. A tin of chickpeas costs 25p. A couple of lb of bacon costs £3. You'd get a gallon and a half of milk for £3. The cheapest bread is about 39p, but you can get a loaf of malted seeded wholegrain fancy bread for 79p. Comparatively it is quite an expensive vegetable.

Has anyone ever tried to make pizza base using cauliflower?

I'm pretty sure I saw a recipe for it once as a low carb alternative.

There's fuck all starch in cauliflower.i can't see why you'd bother putting that in a pizza base. Sounds like a meme recipe. Choufleur in the sauce or topping I can vaguely understand but it still sounds repugnant

Sounds about right.., cauliflower is almost as underrated as Brussel sprouts

cauliflower cheese is very popular and common here in britbongland

Though when in season sprouts might as well be so cheap as to be free. They are currently 59p/kg and it'll only get cheaper in the run up and immediately after christmas if farmers have overproduced.

Sprouts are often mistreated by being boiled to death. Far better is to thinly slice and stir fry. They are excellent added to all sorts of dishes in this way, but one their own with some decent oil, topped with flaked almonds, few lardons and maybe a handful of cranberries they are delicious enough to make boiling them to death appear a crime against humanity.

It's been some time since I heard someone mention lardons user. Sounds lush

Makes me wanna make vegetable samosas. What veggies other than cauliflower would Veeky Forums recommend for this? I know peas and potatoes work well, and I feel like broccoli would get too soft in the process.

yes, today I made soup with cauliflower, carrots and potatoes

My man

Yes. My grandma used to cook these for me and at the time I thought they were tasteless and didn't like them, but with time I've grown to appreciate their taste and texture.
The cauliflower taste is very subtle, so it's definitely a vegetable you can cook to impress hipsters. I wouldn't even know where to begin describing how it tastes, because really doesn't have a strong taste to it.

>soy sauce

Stop writing like a fucking retard.
Veeky Forums is 50% American and 50% from other parts of the world. It's perfectly reasonable to assume a good chunk of Veeky Forums's userbase hasn't tried something that is common in your region.

People and places are very different. I've had cauliflower, but I've only had steak once in my entire life last week while other people here eat steak every single day.

Yes, I eat it every week.

Boiled, seasoned, smashed with a ricer, and put in top of Shepard's Pie instead of mashed potatoes.

That is actually dinner tonight.

Turn oven on 375
Cut into chunks
Coat in olive oil and salt and pepper
Roast until done (I like it to darken up a good bit - plan on a half hour)
Tasty

>It's perfectly reasonable to assume a good chunk of Veeky Forums's userbase hasn't tried something that is common in your region.
For niche foods, sure, you're exactly right. But fucking Cauliflower? It's incredibly common worldwide.

I steam mine and then immersion blend it with parm, garlic, butter, and cream cheese. Makes excellent mock mashed potatoes.

>Shepard's
Who was Shepard and why is a pie named after him?

probably

hard textured and goes really well with cheese or with mashed potatoes.

google.com/amp/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2-1942900.amp

It's a mathematically incredible vegetable daysu

My goodness

Joke thread? Those things are common as fuck in europe.

I nibbled a time or three, I don't care for it personally.

I sell the fuckers by the case at my store. I stack tall towers, ten cases high of the stuff in my cooler. I don't see the appeal but clearly lots of people actually cook and have families and actually make short work of a head of cauliflower over a week.

I don't get it but whatever works.

Remember last year in Toronto when these fuckers were unironically being sold for $7 and $8 a head, not even organic?

Wew what a time.

I always hated cauliflower but I recently went to a great restaurant that served it two ways with my steak.

The first was roasted cauliflower, it was caramelised on the outside and imparted a delicious smokey flavour that actually made it taste good.

It also came with pink pickled cauliflower which was delicious too.

I have concluded that the way to make cauliflower good is to add another flavour to it, either through caramelisation/roasting or pickling.

this.

Can also make "cauliflower rice", just grind it down and toast lightly or blanch it.

I just eat it raw with some dip or put it in a gratine.

Love cauliflower. Just simply boiled, buttered and salted. Good stuff. I take broccoli the same way but I prefer cauliflower.

Top tier vegetable. Great for curries.

I don't know what the fuck to do with it except cook it like broccoli which it is not.

Yes, it's amazing in two ways specifically:

Roasted cauliflower: either cut into thick slabs or break off trees, toss to coat with a mixture of coconut oil, chili powder, and salt, then roast in a preheated castiron at 400 until tender and the outside is crispy dark golden brown.

Or: Break into small trees, batter and deep-fry then dip in buffalo sauce

Make a curry, instead of using rice boil up cauliflower and crumble it up into small pieces.

Or, just add loads of florrets to your curry and you can half the amount of meat used.

It's most delicious in curry is what I'm getting at.