Gogol General

Aside from his short stories and Dead Souls, what else is there to read by this magnificent faggot?

Also, why wasn't Dead Souls completed? Shit's fucking Kafka-tier, lads.

his drama. he is funny af

gib recs, pls

I only read his Petersburger novels(the overcoat; the nose), for which, I think, he is the most famous for. Also, in which way is Dead Souls Kafka-like? I wanted to start reading it soon-ish and am also very fond of Kafka.

>Also, in which way is Dead Souls Kafka-like? I wanted to start reading it soon-ish and am also very fond of Kafka.

Only in that it's incomplete, not finished, missing a few slices, only half-baked. Get the picture, my good man?

The Government Inspector and The Marriage are my favorite, but you should read all his stuff

I know this is not the thread for it but I don't want to start another.

My question is, what are other good Russian books written during the cold war, not necessarily with a political theme, more about Russian society, their way of life? I'm reading Zinky Boys, it's a good book but I want something more than war.

The Portrait is his best work. No one has read it, apparently, such a shame.
Literally the only story I have ever read to make me afraid.

it reminds me a bit of the structure of The Trial in that the bulk of the novel is episodic and can nearly be swapped around in order without losing the narrative. it's also a bit absurd and the real meaning of it comes from something greater than just the literal text.

Pls help

not a fan but Taras Bulba is my fav among his works

V I Y
I
Y

Piss off, faggot

THIS!
Also The Overcoat and The Nose

The Portrait is GREAT. One of the best short stories I've read

Read his short stories, they're better than his novels.

The Overcoat, The Nose, and Nevsky Prospekt are gold

Nice reading comprehension, you dumb faggot. I asked what should I read aside from his short stories, which I have already read.

Climb a wall of dicks you testicle fondler

Some say he wanted to emulate Dante's Divine comedy, and that writing the second part, the one that should be the purgatory, drove him mad and burned the manuscript.

I meant this for OP

What are the best editions of his short stories?

Should I get two-volume Garnett edition?

>translation

He only has short stories and dead souls, unless you want to read some letters to his friends.

/thread

Thank you. Everyone else ITT is a fucking faggot.

Yeah. I've heard mixed reviews on the P&V. For Dead Souls get the edited Guerny translation.

this, is comfy as hell too