QTDDTOT

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread, you know how it goes.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/mYwJu6
overstock.com/guides/how-to-season-stainless-steel-pans
ourdailybrine.com/how-to-test-the-ph-of-food-and-drink/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Didn't wanna shit up the OP with my own question, but are you supposed to soak scallops before you prepare them?

Yes, soapy water really softens them up.

You don't technically have to but a lot of them are injected with saline to make them plump, if you're buying them frozen from Walmart it's probably a good idea.

My curries are always really bitter, what am I doing wrong? I always take the pan off the heat when I toast the spices and I only cook them for about 30 seconds, but I always end up having to use quite a bit of palm sugar or coconut milk to offset the bitterness.

You probably aren't using enough fat in the pan. You wanna toast ground spices in ghee or some kind of high-smoke oil, but whole spices are ok to toast dry in the pan. Toasting ground spices dry will make them bitter from my experience.

What spices are you using? If you're using turmeric powder, that could be it. I find turmeric powder to be pretty tasteless and just bitter compared to fresh turmeric.

I posted on another thread.

How to correctly make beans the old way? like in the westerns, or Cormac McCarthy books, when there was no express cooker?

If you had to cook a cat, how would you do it apart from just roasting it?

Can I get a Quick Rundown on this cat?

How to use turmeric without it tasting horrible?

1) Buy fresh root, not the dried powder.
2) Don't stick it in recipes where it does not belong.

Seriously? This is basic shit, user.

Soak dry beans overnight in water. Discard the soaking water. Put beans in a pot with aromatic vegetables and some kind of smoked or cured pork product: a ham bone, chunk of ham, some bacon, smoked ham hock, or similar. Simmer on low heat until the beans are done.

If you used a meaty piece of pork then remove the bones, chop up the meat and return the meat to the pot.

>Simmer on low heat until the beans are done.

How long would it take?

And yeah I'm new into cooking.

No, they'd been soaked plenty while they were still alive. If anything you need to dry it off.
You're not embracing GOLDEN CURRY blocks.
Over a fire, in a can, until the lid pops off.
Not much meat on a cat (even the fat ones), just cook it whole. Bony meat doesn't really braise too well since you notice precisely how much fucking bone there is in the bowl after you're done. I really don't see it doing well outside of roasting - at least some of the dogs are large enough that you can treat it like a small hog.
Stop treating fancy spices as a quick way to amazing food.

>How long would it take?
Until it's done. You can't magically know the time in advance. The best you can do is estimate and then keep cooking until they are done. It depends on how old the beans are and what type they are. About 2 hours of simmering in a normal pot is a pretty good estimate.

Ok, thank you for your time.

No prob.
Most important thing is the ham bone. Oh, and use stock instead of water when you cook the beans. Ideally homemade stock. Makes a huge difference.

Why are you trying to kill him, user.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beans#Toxins
It says that cooking beans without boiling them at least ten minutes (simmering != boiling) not only doesn't break down the toxins in the beans but actually /concentrates/ those toxins.

I eat beans a lot because I'm a Eurobeaner. I just boil them until they're done, topping off with more boiling water from the kettle as it evaporates. Soaking isn't necessary but does lessen the cooking time. Without soaking, most beans take at least 45 minutes with some taking far, far longer.

If using powdered, be sure to buy a good brand or buy sliced, dry turmeric and powder it yourself. Fresh turmeric doesn't taste the same as dry and has no chance of tasting bitter (which I would guess is what you mean by 'tasting horrible').

>(simmering != boiling)
It's close enough, user. Not to mention the standard procedure (which I didn't bother to mention because it's too obvious) is when you simmer something you bring it to a boil first, then you lower the heat.

>>Soaking isn't necessary but does lessen the cooking time.
Soaking also removes some of the chemicals in the beans which create flatulence. Necessary? No. But beneficial for more than just reducing cooking time.

>> topping off with more boiling water from the kettle as it evaporates.
>>water
>>not stock
it's like you hate flavor or something.

its a russian cat who has a plate of blini
retards on yt make memes about him and call him blini kot

>simmering is close enough to boiling
I'm not sure if it is or not. As far as I know, it's not, but as I'm not certain, I can't refute you. All I can say is to please be certain to boil beans for a good span of time before simmering them.

>you hate flavour!
Nah. We boil beans plain in muh country then use them in other, flavourful dishes which include strong stocks. Noticing you spell using American convention, and please don't think I'm being a cunt to you because you're American, I would guess that you need to boil beans in stock because your stocks are generally weaker in flavour than are ours for some reason.
If I had access only to weaker stocks, I would boil the beans in one then double up and cook the finished dish with even more stock as well, yes.
In the turkey thread, someone said something about 9lbs of bones being enough for 1,6 gallons of stock, which is pretty weak. And I know storebought stocks in the US can legally be made with as little as 1oz of bone per gallon, which is just disgraceful. Our convention is 1kg of stuff, give or take, is used to make 1l of broth or stock.

>Soaking also removes some of the chemicals in the beans which create flatulence.
It's not chemicals, it's just natural sugars in the beans that are harder to digest. If you regularly eat beans, your digestive system will eventually adapt and you won't get gas anymore.

>kot
I hate that fucking word.
It's Reddit personified.

If you can't get fresh turmeric, just use ginger. It's not exactly the same but dry turmeric tastes bland and bitter, even the more expensive brands.

No let them dry out on a paper towel for a day beforehand if possible it will help them get a better searches, some people soak the since they are plumped with a salt solution before sales as a preservation method but I find drying them for sear is best and I just don't salt the scallops themselves as they rarely need it.

go do more reddit research

I want to buy a vacuum sealer, preferably one that worked on tupperware instead of plastic bags.

I suppose I could put the food on tupperware normally, make a hole on the lid and then put it in the bag to use on a normal, bag sealing one though but still would be kind of inconvenient.

Any experience on this kind of product?

What are some good uses for hot dog water? It seems like a waste to dump out the pan after I've boiled my hot dogs.

reduce it, add starch, it becomes a gravy

What's the best way for a retard to cook chicken breast in an oven? Is there a good way to do it where I don't need to flip it halfway through?

sear on stove skinside downin canolaoil, turn around and put into preheated oven 230C until its done

I would make a stew out of it slowly cooking for like 3 hours.

My inexpensive Foodsaver has an attachment hose accessory that can be used on hard containers like Tupperware, but I believe that those containers have to be Foodsaver brand or at the very least have a special one-way valve that fits the hose. I'd just use the bag if I were you, they're so much more convenient and space efficient if you cut them to size from a generic bigass roll.

It's from /an/, not reddit.

Anyone have a link for Korean chili powder and rice cakes they recommend for making Dukbokki (sp?). I don't like super spicy chilis and Maangchis guide to Korean stores said they sold dry/pepper paste in a variety of spice levels so I want with a spice level around 4/10. Anyone have an Amazon link for that and maybe a rice cake brand they like?

when should I use non stick pan and when stainless steel one?

just how much peanut butter toast is too much peanut butter toast?

discord.gg/mYwJu6

Use nonstick for making eggs, pancakes, delicate fish, anything that is going to stick to a stainless steel pan and will be cooked at a medium temp or lower. Use stainless steel for everything else.

You can also do a quick season on stainless steel, it's not quite as good as a properly seasoning cast iron pan but still creates a more nonstick surface. I've made pancakes in steel pans where they just slide around without sticking at all by doing this.
overstock.com/guides/how-to-season-stainless-steel-pans

what are some substitutes to broccoli and spinach in terms of nutrients so I dont eat those two daily all the time

So I want to essentially run a bunch of tests to see what can and cannot be made good with fermenting and/or made into alcohol. How do you test to see if something is safe to eat after fermenting in terms of produced chemicals (i.e. if you drink alcohol made out of wood, you will go blind)? Are there like, chemical testing kits or some other way to find out if the process created poison or some shit? I figure its pretty easy to tell if a product became infected with bacteria, but I'm more worried about toxic chemicals.

Why is it that ripe peppers are impossible to find in the winter but extremely fragile underripe peppers of the same breed are everywhere?

Why is it so fucking hard to find pork or beef blood even though they could charge a lot for the few people that want it. That's freezable.

Probably just any other green veg. Asparagus, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, dandelion greens, etc.

Apparently you can turn sugars in wood into simple sugars and make safe alcohol now, but I wouldn't take that chance unless you're comfortable with more advanced chemistry. Most vegetables that are edible raw will be fine if you ferment them, and for alcohol as long as it's something with simple sugars like fruit/honey it'll be fine too. You can get something to test the pH levels and see if it's a good environment for safe fermentation.

ourdailybrine.com/how-to-test-the-ph-of-food-and-drink/

I once heard of a chef making a sauce out of flakes of embers, oil and spices. I was considering trying this but I don't know if what he was referring to as embers is the same as charcoal or if it is safe to eat, so three questions:

Are embers and coals the same?
Is charcoal edible, and is he on to something with this tasting good in some way (my assumption is that it adds smoky flavors) or is it just hippie nonsense(what with the "charcoal is a detox" thing that has been going around)?
Can I make charcoals using only an apartment oven?

What cheese is best to stuff inside a burger?

How is new world salt cod prepared for use in the home kitchen? It's soaked, I'm sure, but not soaked the same way as European salt cod, is it?

I'm partial to string cheese. I run it through a rotary grater to shred it then put it into the burger. It works because string cheese is relatively low fat (16% fat) compared to other cheeses (cheddar is 33% fat, for example) so it won't squirt grease everywhere when you bite into your burger.

my pasta is too hard, am i over or undercooking?

What would you all say is the best thing to eat to help you shit? Prunes? Prune juice? Dates? Something else? I feel like.. Backed up and constipated and just want to have a big ass shit to make myself feel better.

Under.

Coffee, fiber, any dried fruit, prune juice.

10 prunes, which is a helluvalotta'em, only have 7,1g of fibre. That's 100g of prunes, by the way. By contrast, a bowl of bean chili using 56g of beans (dry weight) will have at least 14,1g, depending on what other ingredients you put in it.
Many breakfast cereals also have a good amount of fibre, particularly bran cereals. If you live in the US, Cracklin' Oat Bran from Kellogg's is a happy middle ground between tasty and fibre-rich. If you live in AU/NZ/ZA, Weet-Bix (and Weetabix in UK and Europe) come in some varieties which are both tasty and fibrous. Banana ones are good as is the chocolate spoonsize one.

Can I exploit the meat tenderizers in pineapples for cooking purposes, or do they all denature after a while?

Pineapple and papaya stand up after being canned or dried; so I imagine your pineapple will still tenderize.

Why do people pay this much for a simple sandwich that is wrapped in plastic foil? It tastes like taste and nobody likes it.

please stay away from hot and/or sharp objects if you cannot figure this out

so i've got a bag of frozen kale that i'd like to start throwing into my meals like maybe in omelettes or something like that, maybe just as a side with dinner

is there a way to thaw it relatively quickly without it turning to shit? or if I thaw like a handful or two overnight will it be okay in the morning?

any tips to make it palatable?

>bean chili
thats an oxymoron

too much turmeric

easy, convenient & quick without being fast food

I made a kale and lentil soup recently that was pretty good. Pulsed it in a food processor until it was smooth and added it to the soup.

You can just microwave it in a covered bowl with a little water. I like to eat steamed vegetables just with a bit of salt and vinegar.

>

I have a few sheets of decent quality puff pastry (re: not pepperage farm no-butter bullshit) and I wanna make a dessert, got any ideas? I usually do palmiers but I wanna mix things up.

So are 'jumbo shrimp' and 'American cuisine.'

It's Russian for "Cat"

How do I make rice fast but without it turning gluggy like porridge. I can make it nice when you put it on low heat and put the saucepan lid on. But it takes like 10mins. And I want to make really easy small meals fast. Small meals as in rice + soy sauce.

Also does anyone know any small easy meals that taste nice enough. I just need to stop eating so many calories.

>How do I make rice fast
Get a pressure cooker or instant/par-boiled rice

>I just need to stop eating so many calories.
Eat what you're eating now, but in smaller portions. If you're drinking soda or other beverages that have calories, cut back and drink more water