Favorite Borges short story

>Favorite Borges short story
>2nd favorite Borges short story
>Preferred translator

Other urls found in this thread:

a.uguu.se/FgcLL6nxG37w.epub
web.archive.org/web/20090704140516/http://www.digiovanni.co.uk:80/borges/the-missing-borges-(iii).htm
a.uguu.se/ozOkTYfBOrfT.epub
scribd.com/document/352528940/4150-essay-1
files.catbox.moe/rn3wcw.epub
files.catbox.moe/6z0t33.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>The Library of Babel
>The Circular Ruins
>I read it in spanish

> Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
> The Library of Babel / The Lottery in Babylon
> Dunno senpai ;)

Hurley a shit

daily reminder that Borges widow removed all the translations Borges wrote with his buddy from circulation because she didnt want to share royalties.

If you can find them, get the di Giovanni translations since those are the actual Borges approved translations.

>The Secret Miracle
>The Circular Ruins
>Don't have a preferred (I read in portuguese)

>a.uguu.se/FgcLL6nxG37w.epub

>web.archive.org/web/20090704140516/http://www.digiovanni.co.uk:80/borges/the-missing-borges-(iii).htm

as we crawl further into the 21st century i find myself increasingly aware that piracy will be the bastion of culture much in the way that monks preserved literate culture during the middle ages.

thanks for this man, I actually didn't know there were Borges approved english translations.
I learned that there are, and then here they are. You're a beauty.

Exactly this

The South
The Immortal
I've only read the Hurley. Which brings me to:
For the love of God, someone please reupload.

I liked la forma de la espada

reup:
>a.uguu.se/ozOkTYfBOrfT.epub

>Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote
>The library of babel
>idk

Why the south? I didn't get it, but I would also choose the immortal.

>Undr
>El inmortal
>Spanish

1. The Immortal
2. Funes

This.

Although Spanish is a really easy language to learn so there's no excuse to not read him in Spanish (especially considering that most Americans learn basic Spanish in high school)

Not that user, but it's beautiful how Borges shows that life is simple yet more beautiful then one's favorite of books. And that's just an amateur analysis im sure.

>The South
>Quixote
>Anthony somebody (Burgess?)

>El Aleph
>El Zahir
>translations

I have only read Ficciones
>The Approach to Al-Mu'tasim
>Three Versions of Judas
>have only read Hurley
I obviously have nothing to compare it to, but I think Hurley's translation reads well.

>Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
>La casa de Asterión / El Aleph
>axaxaxas

Kerrigan is the best translator. Better than Hurley fo sho. But I had to read Hurley to get the full ouevre because I am a monolingual pleb.

>favorite story
Lottery of Babylon
>second favorite story
Cult of the Phoenix

>Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
This was my first Borges and it fucked my shit up f a m.

I ended up writing a Lacan paper on it and that was one of my favorite essays I ever wrote. That story will always be my favorite of his.

I don't know why it had such an impact on me. I guess you could say it's a bit pulpy, a bit gimmicky (as you could say about many others of his stories), that it's not one of his quintessential, that it's been done before (in a story whose name escapes me--something with a bridge; by an author whose name escapes me--he disappeared in Mexico). I don't care. For me it's perfect, a flawlessly formed gem, like one of those stories of Joyce where not a word is superfluous.
Much ass, gracious. Are those all of his stories? Did you edit this yourself? That is very nice of you, user, and if you didn't do the work yourself, it's just as nice to have uploaded it. Do you know how I can save a copy though? That site doesn't seem to let me--not on a phone at least.

> it's another short story about Berkeley and Quine!

>The Garden of Forking Paths
>The House of Asterion

Solid choices

Thanks, but as it's noticeable, I love simple stories, in a sense that they have a twist in the end which makes you see everything in the story you've read before that in a different light (that's why Emma Zunz is my thid favorite.), but I feel guilty for not being able to completely enjoy all of his abstract stories which touch upon identity, philosophy etc.

>El Milagro Secreto
>Ulrica
>not reading it in spanish

There's nothing to be ashamed about it. There's no reason why a story can't do both of those things satisfactorily. I'm and that's why I love Asterion, because it does a lot of things in the right measure rather than sacrificing this or that; meanwhile I can totally understand why someone would be bored to death by Tlön, though in my case it was not... the case (in fact it was the reason I bought Ficciones--I got exactly what I expected) and I think there's something more to that story than just the "intellectual" parts. I feel that's often the case Borges, he's too much flanderized into the "smart man's writer", as if he only wrote to make logic games, when part of why he wrote that way was due to his character and life experience.

Why do you think Borges wrote a story in honor to lovecraft when he thought he was a poor imitation of poe

Why would Lovecraft being an imitation bother Borges of all people? And even then, that he's derivative doesn't necessarily mean having read Poe would exhaust what's to be found in Lovecraft, or that writing a story in his style would be fruitless. Lastly, literature is not a competition, not every book an aouthor publishes has to be aimed at being groundbreaking masterpiece.

That story is as good as the best of Lovecraft, btw. I wish he had done that more often (Stevenson, Doyle, Poe).

there's definitely a sort of 'vast otherness' in Lovecraft that Poe lacks, and which Borges borrows occasionally

I didn't thought the same
I think it would bother him to honor a poor imitation of anything. People like to pay homage to those that they consider the best, not the cheapest

>The Immortal
>Garden of Forking Paths
>Dunno

>I wish he had done that more often
Same here. It's a pity that he never did more straight up horror stories.

You're talking about a man who criticized the national epic for stereotyping the lower classes, did a couple stories doing exactly that, then wrote an homaging ending for that poem. I mean, why do *you* think he did it? What answer are trying to get?

>La Biblioteca de Babel
>Sur

Estos sucios plebellos no leen a Borges en español, que desgraciados.

How dare you accuse me of being a dirty pleb when you can't even read Rosewicz in it's original Polish

I would imagine Borges to be a nightmare for any Spanish beginner.

The Library of Babel

Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote

Norman Thomas di Giovanni

I wasn't bored by any story of Borges I've read (for now at least, I've read Ficciones, The Aleph and The Book of Sand), but I felt a number of them going over my head, even after some rereads. I guess I'm stupid when it comes to certain things. You're right that there's more to his stories than the "intellectual" parts.
Also, in what order should I read the remaining Borges short story collections? I've been thinking of tackling "A Universal History of Infamy".

What was the essay about

>I felt a number of them going over my head, even after some rereads.
Borges is probably the prose writer that has the biggest written/written about % of content out there. I kid you not, one of my Argentine Literature teachers (himself a published writer; I study at University of Buenos Aires) made the claim that he took whole afternoon to read only one of his stories. There's always going to be stuff flying over your head even by virtue of what other people have read in him (like with other canoniced authors); the good thing about it is that if you actually want to see what you missed someone probably wrote explaining it. I don't anyone who didn't live the context of what Martin Fierro meant to his generation could truly grasp all of El Fin, though.

>I've been thinking of tackling "A Universal History of Infamy".
If that's the one that most caught your attention then you should go for it.

Well said.
>If that's the one that most caught your attention then you should go for it.
Yeah, I guess I will.

>All those omitted words.
That's enough Veeky Forums for the day.

What would you presume about me if I were to assert that I thought Borges was just doing bad philosophy

Averroes's Search
The South
Translations are for brainlets.

Actually it was involuntary parodist, which is something quite different.

Against Borges. Lovecraft's influence and development of Poe was quite explicit throughout his literary life, but Borges does strike me as much closer to Poe in sentiment.

>The Garden of Forking Paths
>Death and the Compass
>Norman Thomas di Giovanni

It is difficult to choose favorites. I suspect mine will change over time too.

Considering the sloppy state of your sentence, you aren't qualified to know.

I don't even speak Spanish and I can understand your sentence.

Take that! Pffft, elevated culture my buttooey.

It was using Schema L to interpret the story.

scribd.com/document/352528940/4150-essay-1 You can read it in it's shittiness here.

This is the right answer

All of the published stories translated with di Giovanni, and some others using translations from Kerrigan instead. I didn't edit this, it had an online page that has been shut down. Here's a link that won't expire right away:
files.catbox.moe/rn3wcw.epub
And here are PDFs including the other published translations that aren't covered by that epub, mostly for poetry, from a probably long dead torrent:
files.catbox.moe/6z0t33.zip

Lol you people are retarded

el inmortal
el aleph (it counts?)

We all are

Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
The Aleph
Read in the original

>Three Versions of Judas
My man.

So... this is the power of capitalism...

Do the borges bump

Thanks a lot, user.