I've just finished it. what are your thoughts about this book?

i've just finished it. what are your thoughts about this book?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikiwand.com/en/Eleusinian_Mysteries
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Kafka never got to finish The Trial
it's a terrible feel. Still a great work of fiction

Amazing, though I find the dialogue to be a little tedious at times.

I completely agree with your views on the book OP, couldn't have said it better myself!

he never got to finish the castle

he finished the trial

Finished as in he wrote the ending, not finished as in it's incomplete

No one has a deep interpretation of the book?

it's been some time since I read it and there are obv. multiple possible interpretations but the main theme is imo. the aloofness/alienation of bureaucracy. It operates in spheres that transcends reality almost like a god. No one know's what he is charged with he is just a priori guilty because "the law" says so. When he goes to the bureau the are lines and lines of rooms and every room has a backdoor, so that it is like a giant maze with no end, in the same vein he is told that he cannot be acquited but can only stale his trial ad infinitum. It also deals with power structures/authoritarianism f.e. in the scene where the two men are beaten that previously arrested him and acted all dominant/tough. Also that this "force" sucks everything up, K. can't focus on his, work and in the artist lives basically in court (not even the arts can escape it's grip)
There is also something in there about the nature of desire but I feel like I can't really elaborate since it been to long.
If you want to read a good interpretation read Deleuze' book on Kafka there are some interesting ideas in it

the book expertly conveys the feeling of being miserable and confused.

for all its abstract conversations on law, I feel it is truly a book of sensation and feeling: namely, the feeling of being paranoid, frantic, and ashamed.

You didn't actually finish it, it's unfinishable.

Read this last year, was a little confused by the ending but over all thought it was a good book.

oh god this thread is so cringy. why does Veeky Forums still pretend to understand literature? jesus christ, you guys are embarrassing
>inb4 give your interpretation then/cute little "ironic" remark to try to make yourself feel better
I don't feel like putting in the effort to type out an essay to impress a bunch of hentai watching teenagers online, sorry

pls no bully

This is my favourite part of the book:

“But I’m not guilty,” said K., “there’s been a mistake. How is it even possible for someone to be guilty. We’re all human beings here, one like the other.”
“That is true,” said the priest, “but that is how the guilty speak.”

I consider and see it as an antithesis of this part from The Master and Margarita:

'And now tell me why you always use that expression " good men "? Is that what you call everybody? '
'Yes, everybody,' answered the prisoner. ' There are no evil people on earth.'
'That is news to me,' said Pilate with a laugh.'But perhaps I am too ignorant of life. You need take no further notes,' he said to the secretary, although the man had taken none for some time. Pilate turned back to the prisoner :
'Did you read about that in some Greek book? '
'No, I reached that conclusion in my own mind.'
'And is that what you preach? '
‘ Yes.'
'Centurion Mark Muribellum, for instance--is he good? '
'Yes,' replied the prisoner. ' He is, it is true, an unhappy man. Since the good people disfigured him he has become harsh and callous. It
would be interesting to know who mutilated him.'

So, basically Bulgakov says that there're no bad people. But Kafka says that is only said by the bad as an excuse.

>So, basically Bulgakov says that there're no bad people. But Kafka says that is only said by the bad as an excuse.

Are Kafka's views the views of the priest?

I don't know. I don't know if Christ's views are Bulgakov's views either.

They're just interesting thesis, and it's interesting how they're opposite in two great works of literature.

lmfao you guys are so fucking stupid

so easy to do what you did here, not giving any well-founded arguments to ''people who pretend understanding literature on internet''.
your nothing but inferior than these kind of people you've cited.

you wanna set the record straight for all of us inferior beings since you clearly understand these works so well?

lmfao, so fucking mad

YOU LOOKING AT ME FUCKER?

I didn't really get it until I read about Gnosticism. Now I'd like to read it over again.

what's the relation?

Its mostly about the concept of original sin and existence being condemnation. Hence all the religious imagery, especially the judge appearing in the church. The stuff about bureaucracy is a bit more of an exoteric meaning.

You're part of the problem sir. By refusing to provide reasonably sound content, you're purposefully making this community worse.

Are you a coward for fear of anonymous criticism of your hot, unique and spicy view of Kafka?

You're a member user. So participation is beneficial for everyone. Otherwise lurking is more effective. You pointing out the obvious isn't helping, in fact you're shitting up the thread.

cool
gnosticism is a subject i want to read about in the future

Are you the same guy who hates Nabokov?

Can someone please tell my why it's called "The Trial" in english, and not "The Process"?

because in German "Prozess" means trial, litigation, or lawsuit.

this community is already beyond saving, one user isnt going to save it, and no one cares that it's a shitty community

No I rarely post. No relation sir. I'm usually on /trv/ and /out/ but I started my masters program so I've been having to read a lot more lately. Hence why I'm here.

But user what if you're the chosen one, to bring balance back to the Veeky Forumstle guys?

>i have no better interpretation but i don't want to feel bad.
Is ok user, don't push yourself.

I thought the same. It looked to my like everyone was condemned from the beggining unless you know the secret (have the contacts) to escape from hell, in a way mystery cults work wikiwand.com/en/Eleusinian_Mysteries

bump

Been some time since I read it, but I remember it being fragmented (obviously), which makes it harder to follow, but also works to the books favor in some regards.

Also, Kafka's style, when translated, leads to very long run-on sentences that can be tiring to read, like says. As for the plot/narrative, it's pretty gripping, his futile struggles and refusal to work in the system, thus dooming himself. I also love "Before the Law".

>Just forced my way through this and didn't really get any of it. Tell me what I should parrot back to the people that I will tell I read it to I can sound smart

Had to chew through this in school for final exams, hated Kafka for a while, because of retarded shool over-interpretation and teachers.

This.
Kafka is dead to me for at least another decade. Maybe I'll re-approach him again later.

I actually got over the hatred about a year later, when I decided to pick up Metamorphosis and could just read without over thinking it. I really don't get how they think it's a good idea to intensely expose school kids to Kafka and then think they will ever have an intrest in reading again, but I guess that's just the school system.