Which are the best books with suicidal characters?

Which are the best books with suicidal characters?

Like The Bell Jar or Suicide by Levé.

> inb4 my diary desu

Hedda Gabbler is one of my personal favorites, though it's a play

Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary are classics too

IJ

For all this book is overrated, it hits that suicidal sweet spot.

Definitely The Sound and the Fury

Anything by Thomas Bernhard

Jack Torrance's fear of and attraction to suicide gives The Shining an emotional resonance beyond the usual horror novel. In some respects (although not, I think, entirely) the horror of suicide is the book's chief horror. The immediacy and vividness of that horror suggests, to me anyway, that it was something King was or had been wrestling with.

Just Bananafish and move on.

Kristiania Boheme by Hans Jaeger is about the author's friend who ended up killing himself.
Also there's a sad bunch of NEETs that reminded me of this place.

Hedda is my literary waifu

The Waves, and like another user said, The Sound and the Fury.

I will read those, I've been avoiding those books for some time. Mainly because English is not my native language and I've been told Faulkner has a somewhat complex prose; also because these books are some that I believe it would be better to read them as they were written instead of reading translations.

I read Dollhouse three or four years ago, I think I liked it though I did not love it. Maybe the praise of the play I got to read before the book set up my expectations too high.
I will definitely read this one next weekend.

War & War by Laszlo Krasznahorkai

If we're having plays then Hamlet, King Lear, Macbeth & Othello

Sorrows of Young Werther
Crime and Punishment

A Gentle Creature by Dostojewsky.

Lesser-known but I really liked it. It felt like a continuation of Notes from the Underground but with a deeper relationship between man and woman.

Hans Bellmers wife wrote this. Which is pretty sad because she threw herself out of a window, and the main charactor in the book does the same.
Also a short and pleasant read if i remember.

I don't remember Young Werther killing himself, probably because I read it a long time ago.

What was the suicide in Crime and Punishment though?

That feeling when your college professor is an amazing translator and he has translated The Sound and the Fury to native. Damn, I didn't know the book is about suicide, now I'll definitely read it.

I enjoyed this book.

It's like, a key plot point in Werther. Made lots of people 'romantically' kill themselves in real life also

>I don't remember Young Werther killing himself, probably because I read it a long time ago.
That's pretty much the ending.

>What was the suicide in Crime and Punishment though?
Svidrigailov.

Sabbath's Theatre obviously

C'mon lady, slip that noose off your neck and drink some wine with me.

Nothing lasts forever, not even to be sad.

The narrator of 4:48 Psychosis is pretty solid as far as suicidally depressed narrators go.

Of course it's an extremely experimental play and pretty divisive among critics, but I liked it.

Came here to post this. Pretty much all his books involve suicidal thoughts or characters who've killed themselves in the events before the beginning of the book.