Is there a better way to begin a philosophy book?

Is there a better way to begin a philosophy book?

>stopping the pursuit of boys

Nope, Marcus is an absolute savage.

>From my dealer, the pleasures of the poppy

really, Marcus?

>from my mother...abstinence
what did he mean by this

Ego and his Own hás a really good beginning tbqh.

Their favorite playwright was Sophocles

Meditations is self-help, not philosophy.

>nu/lit/ will unironically call you a cuck (see )

It's the GOAT beginning desu

How can somebody be so retarded that they don't think Stoicism is philosophy???

More like longest dedication ever written.

>starting a philosophy book with morals in the very first sentence

absolutely plebian

What exactly do you think philosophy is?

Where would you have placed the word "morals"? I fail to see why this is a point of contention for you.

My intro to philosophy professor at my community college told me it is love of wisdom desu

Do not stoic texts contain wisdom? Is living a virtuous lifestyle not a wise lifestyle?

>Living a virtuous lifestyle

biggest meme of all time
playing by the rules just gets you fucked

Systematic research by non-empirical terms for the truth, ethics is only philosophy if it fits under a bigger framework of metaphysics or epistemology (think about Plato and how the wise and ethical life is inherently connect with the Forms and the soul's way of making them know for itself). By itself, ethics is just arbitrary values people make it up as they go along.

Seconded.

So you don't think the concepts of right and wrong are philosophical topics? Fuck off pseud.

confirmed for never having studied Stoicism
it teaches that everyone is already fucked so you might as well get used to it

>systematic
>non-empirical
how does that even work?

Dialectics, for starters.
Right and wrong are vacuous concepts that can mean anything.

Wow thanks for shedding light on the obscure philosophy of stoicism, so fucking obscure that it's name is a common-usage adjective

Wow such deep
much thought
so truth

and yet here you are still misunderstanding
the modern word "stoic" does not mean the same thing as a Stoic thinker, you fucking idiot

It essentially does mean the same thing, even according to your "clarification."

You sound like a fedora who thinks no one else can understand the intricacies of your little philosophy. Literally everyone understands this shit.

it's not my philosophy, I'm not autistic enough (any more) to go "my family died, oh well, shit happens, look on the bright side"
I am however autistic enough to correct people on it

And if only there was some sort of pursuit or field of study that tried to find meaning in those "vacuous concepts", I can only wonder what we would call that field of study...

That is a rather extreme example that's more meant as the ultimate goal. Stoics realize that you can't control all of you emotions, and something like the death of a loved one would trigger heavy emotion. This is not to say that we don't care about our families, rather, we acknowledge that death is apart of nature, and there is nothing we can do about it, therefore it is illogical to express emotion, even though we all inevitably do. This is entirely different than being indifferent. It's not simply saying "bummer, my families dead, oh well, time to move on." It's essentially being as mature as possible about a difficult situation.

A nice thing to consider as a Stoic is that even our role models were flawed, and weren't perfect stoics. Seneca advocated poverty, yet he was incredibly wealthy, Aurelius had an opium addiction, and Cato the Younger supposedly binge drank. The point is that even great men are flawed, thus, we all are flawed. Being a Stoic is not an absolute thing, it's something we work towards. We set seemingly unobtainable goals for ourselves to set us apart from the common man, and especially the non-virtuous psychopath.

You iz stupid. Go bak /pol/

This

Meditations are great.

someone post the damn philosophy charts already

>the government of my temper
Cringed and stopped reading. He probably took stiff dick from his grandfather too.

Yes, let's judge an original text by it's translation...Fuck off pseud.

Yeah let me brush up on my latin so I can shitpost about a self-help book on Veeky Forums.
You sure told me, you armchair intellectual.

At first I thought you were being sincere, I was dumbfounded at your stupidity, but now you say you were shitposting, so in effect you have apologized. Cheers m8. Shitpost away.

No harm no foul m8.

>I went down to the Piraeus yesterday with Glaucon,

shut up nigger what would you know about living a virtuous lifestyle

you deployed this meme very astutely. i enjoyed your post

Well I know you probably can't call people nigger, for one