ITT: How to Spot a Pleb

>he reads Faulkner

>pleb
>faulkner
Only if they're trying to read The Sound and the Fury while struggling, just to look cool to their friends, and ignoring the rest of his work.

>he lists non normie authors as pleb to sound to intelligent too post here

Vonnegut, Orwell, Twain, Dickins etc as favorite authors

>list all white males
>thinks twain is pleb

You have to go back

>Dickens is bad
Worst meme

True. 99% of writers wish they had his imagination and creative use of metaphor, imagery, humor and unparalleled ability in crafting memorable characters.

Where should I start with Faulkner?

Truism. Faulkner is the ultimate pseud, rightly deserving of Veeky Forums's adulations. Couldn't pen down a decent stream of consciousness, fell for the "big words" meme, and sincerely believed that small-town America would captivate an audience. True, one should write about what one knows best, but if what one knows is god awful then one should fucking find something else.

Orwell and Vonnegut, yes. The others, no.

>He gets his information from podcasts and YouTube intellectuals

This is true.
If you can't see this you cannot think.

>this post

Holy shit man. Well, we managed to spot the pleb, so I'd say that this thread was a success. If you sincerely believe any of what you said you are such an insufferable pseud. His setting managed to capture the hearts and minds of America, as well as the test of the world. And his stream of conciousness is most often sublime and heartrending.

>he reads "literature" written in English (except for Shakespeare)

>he posts on Veeky Forums

Still butthurt you couldn't finish As I Lay Dying? It's okay man, just work up to it.

>Hating on Twain
Kys yourself

>he is a poet
>cannot comprehend meter

He gets his recommendations from Cliff Sargent

Orwell is good but brought down by pseuds who've only read Animal Farm or 1984

Atone, plebiean folk, I arrive airily looking, looking airily at thou dejectors, crass Creatine craving knobs.
Pleb is the human who has not expended three nights lamenting over the fate of Jacob... From the Twilight series.

>"Yeah, I love reading! I've read the entire Harry Potter series, like,10 times, I'm such a book nerd lol"

MY NIGGV

(pynchon & melville are also gud tho..)

Your ass hurt is showing

>he likes Ayn Rand

>he reads comics

>she

thread/

not him but if you're still there I loved Light in August, way better than TSATF desu

>Vonnegut

This meme has to stop.

As I Lay Dying
Light In August
The Hamlet
Sanctuary
Absalom, Absalom!

Are all good choices. I would read some of his stuff before you attempt to tackle The Sound and the Fury. The first thing of his that I read was As I Lay Dying, and I loved it. Didn't feel like it was difficult at all for a seasoned reader. It's also quite short.

>haven't read bible
get skeptical if the guy even likes literature

>haven't read ecclesiastes, psalms, job or the gospels
disgust starts to rise

>haven't even read genesis and exodus
100% absolute disgusted, opinion is fully disregarded and interactions avoided at all cost

Read the long short story "Old Man." It's about the 1927 Mississippi flood. It's an amazing piece of writing - very direct and immediate - and it doesn't require the larger time and energy commitment that his novels do.

Another long story, "The Bear," is also pretty great. It takes you a little deeper into Faulkner's woods than "Old Man" does.

you don't

fuck off, roastie

After reading the bible, this is my feeling too. It's a shame that we live in a world where Genesis and Exodus are no longer required readings in school, despite how massive a part they play in western culture.

Holding literature in too high a regard and keeping to strict conventions for it. Hates forms of lit which he thinks is beneath the art. I.E. hates poetry slams, sparse prose, popular authors and any other "plebian" lit.

It shows that they are too attached to the image of the literary man and don't care about how the form can be used.

>concern for literary form shows attachment to literary persona
non sequitur

>hates poetry slam
>is a pleb
>poetry slam is inherently pleb and part of the culture
What did he mean by this? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good detective or fantasy novel every now and then, but your post is pretty retarded. Slam poetry is one of the most obnoxious and degenerate forms of literature to be produced in the current era.

Shit. I wasn't paying attention and misread "plep" as "pseud".

A plep won't even consider any book they deem has "too many words".

>A plep won't even consider any book they deem has "too many words".

The Harry Potter Saga has a great many words which many a pleb has feasted on, senpai. The pseuds, on the other hand, merely watch the movies while pretending to have read the lit itself.

This is a logical fallacy.

In order to know Faulkner is for plebs, you would have had to have read Faulkner - rendering you a pleb.

please go back to where you came from

Objection. Assumes the consequent.

>you have to have to read meme of consciousness to know it's pleb

Yes. Else you'll have to have read about it, which is the most plebian thing you could possibly do.

At that point, you're a pleb among plebs, as you're once, or further, removed from the source material, and, therefore, can make no true assessment of your own, but must rely on others (like most plebs) to inform you on the work.

No, you.

Wrong.

>Yes. Else you'll have to have read about it, which is the most plebian thing you could possibly do.
>At that point, you're a pleb among plebs, as you're once, or further, removed from the source material, and, therefore, can make no true assessment of your own, but must rely on others (like most plebs) to inform you on the work.

>muh superflous prose isn't pleb

Your damage control is showing, faggot.

Maybe because people still think those books are true, it stops it being read in class because you cannot teach religion at schools.

How do you know it's pleb shit?

>muh vonnegut is really good!
away with you, vile beggar!

I don't. That's my point. I've never been interested in Faulkner, so I've never read him. Ergo, I can't know he's pleb first hand. OP would be in the same circumstance unless he read him, which, by his own standard, would render him a pleb.

How are you guys not following this clear line of reasoning?

>dmg control

Wut? Nevermind, I don't care.

I tried to read Absalom, Absalom! and it seemed to me that he is a bad writer. No sense of rhythm. So I went back to poetry.

I managed to read about 150 pages, however, and Faulkner is a hero to at least one of the writers I love (Antonio Lobo Antunes), so I might try my had at reading some other, shorter book, therefore enabling myself to analyze his method of literary construction in full, which, if it pleases me, will serve as a nice incentive to go back to Absalom!

What is the shortest Faulkner masterpiece?

PS: difficulty is one thing, literary quality is another. Ulysses is not a greater book than D. Quijote.

The trajectory is to like him because he seems cynical and ironic, then hate him because he seems cynical and ironic, and then like him because of his maturity.

Billy Pilgrim is one of the best sketched characters out there, and he doesn't even have much dialogue. Everything is told through the minute details of his life.

>she

>he posts on Veeky Forums

He feels the need to look down on fiction.

I've read Absalom, Absalom! too. A lot of it was very much of a struggle. But nevertheless it was very impressive in my view, more than once I paused my reading as I was struck with awe, by his beautiful descriptions or intelligent insights. For me it was intense and demanding, but still rewarding.