Any other smart guys in here that want to talk about the greatest (and arguably only) achievement in the field of...

Any other smart guys in here that want to talk about the greatest (and arguably only) achievement in the field of cosmic/gothic horror in the last 50 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cKk6XqcmB4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=3V9zxXN1rx0
youtube.com/watch?v=BCDEDi5gDPo
youtube.com/watch?v=1EISe-WdZYE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stopped using /v/ years ago, why should I go there? Are you really so insecure/ uneducated that you arent well versed in every form of media out there?

Well, this is a board for literature, if you can't tell the difference between a videogame and a fucking book you are probably retarded.

So games, movies and music dont have literary aspects to them?

Youre painfully closeminded

if there's literature in this vein, let me know even if it's middling.

you dont even read, fuck off and let him speak.

it's like one guy trying to shit on every thread that isn't part of the canon he hasn't even read completely. threads like this one are only growing, and as shit as Veeky Forums is, it can only be an improvement.

This is legitimately the only successful attempt to bring Lovecraft into a visual medium I've ever encountered, and I've looked. I love how it starts off pretending to be Gothic horror with werewolves and slowly (and then suddenly) pulls aside the veil. Great game.

Ligotti?

What vein? I have a bunch of reccs for you if you mean "cosmic horror," but less so if you mean Bloodborne specifically.

Graphics ten years behind western games as usual.

Saved this pic from a "what to read after lovecraft" thread. Check these out, plus lovecraft.

>Gothic
>pic has Romanesque arches

0/10

What's the appeal of horror, lads?

The picture is from an alternate dimension though, "the hunters nightmare". A place where blooddrunk hunters are eventually whisked off to, to hunt and kill in an endless cycle of reincarnation. And at the end of the river of blood lies what I can only assume was inspired by The Dunwich horror.

tfw you loved horror as a kid/teen/early adult and you grew out of it because its literary value pales in comparison to literature. Anyone who tells me Joyce, Shakespeare, Plato, Tolstoy, or Proust aren't objectively better than any horror book ever is lying. Maybe I should read Frankenstein.

literary horror exists
Clark Ashton Smith has some of the best prose I've ever read
Ligotti's fictional works are bretty good on a literary level

the fishing hamlet with the fish-people
that's Shadow over Innsmouth, lad

I liked it as a kid when the world seemed alright and a fright was a thrill but now that the world doesn't seem alright anymore the last thing I need would be more misery desu.

>tfw reality is scary enuf :^(
you couldn't get more pleb than this

MR James, Algernon Blackwood, and Arthur Machen are all amazing prose writers.

>if there's literature in this vein, let me know even if it's middling.

Bloodborne is mostly just a love letter to fans of Lovecraft. I disagree with calling every piece of cosmic horror "lovecraftian", but this is certainly for the fans. While the script and plot is purposefully minimalistic on the surface, there is a community of almost scholar like deconstruction of looking into the mythos and lore of the piece. The beauty of this game in particular is that you HAVE to analyze pieces of architecture and piece together details from item placement and speculate based on connections and the authors inspirations.

Only recently did I start to figure out the significance of the goal of the game being to "silence the harrowing cry" of a seemingly invisible child/ entity upon reading the Dunwich Horror where Wilburs twin brother is a seemingly invisible vessel for the old ones to descend

>the fishing hamlet with the fish-people
>that's Shadow over Innsmouth, lad

fishing hamlet is the third area, the first being hunters nightmare. Also, the hamlet shares practically no connection to innsmouth apart from the sea angle. Innsmouth has far, far more in common with the central city of Yharnam, simply with the plague of beasts instead of Dagon's influence

>reality isn't scary enough

numb normie detected

>I already felt all the feelings, so I don't need to read anything!

Oh, so you mean what, then, Ludwig? How's he like Dunwich?

I think the fact that both Innsmouth and the Fishing Hamlet are once-prospering coastal fishing towns whose inhabitants are corrupted into fish-like manbeasts because of the influence of an eldritch being that came from the sea is more than "practically no connection."

>framing vidya as some sort of marginalized voice that Bloom is working tirelessly to keep "outside of the canon"
I know it's bait but there are boards for this. In no way is this related to literature

it is the greatest, but that isn't saying much.

Most authors in the "cosmic horror" genre today have fallen for the lovecraft meme and think it's all about undescribable monsters from outer space that make people go crazy because of how powerful they are, which isn't exactly the case nor what Lovecraft wrote about.

Then there are the other video games and movies out there that have a better appreciation/ understanding of what lovecraft was about, but who are crippled by lackluster writing, directing, or small budgets that they don't know how to use well enough.

Bloodborne having the money, proper approach, and special literary approach definitely brings the best of Lovecraft to modern pop culture, and it's a damn shame that it's the only one/ the best example.

>Oh, so you mean what, then, Ludwig? How's he like Dunwich?

Honestly Ludwig just mostly reminds me of european folklore monsters in general, but his general design seems like it has picked up things from how the Dunwich Horror is described and often portrayed (multiple horse limbs, a human face, a mouth, eyes etc etc). Although I do think Ludwig is far superior both in design and execution than what the Dunwich Horror was

>I think the fact that both Innsmouth and the Fishing Hamlet are once-prospering coastal fishing towns whose inhabitants are corrupted into fish-like manbeasts because of the influence of an eldritch being that came from the sea is more than "practically no connection."

The fishing hamlets core difference from Innsmouth is that Innsmouth (like Yharnam) doesnt seem like a dangerous place on the surface level. The Fishing Hamlet is more comparable to a cosmic chernobyl that possibly doesnt even really exist in the "real" world anymore. Speaking of the hamlet, I cant be the only one who is pondering the true alignment of good and evil in the cosmic beings of Bloodborne. The false gods (albeit suspiciously lousily portrayed, as if only through hearsay) in the grand cathedral are holding harpoons. Coincidentally enough Amygdalas tower and the Nightmare Frontier in general looks over the seas surrounding the Hamlet, possibly meaning its the spiders that maimed Kos (perhaps by request, as the statues of the gods are far more accurately portrayed in Yahargul, the city of Mensis?)

Honestly I only wish Bloodborne deviated slightly more from the gameplay of the core souls series to give even more of a boost to the horror angle. Its my favorite game of all time, but I wouldnt mind if it had actual puzzles and even more mysteries that arent almost exclusively hidden bossfights (amazing things like the Brain of Mensis)

>Veeky Forums trying to explain how vg its not literature and fails miserably
>meanwhile we thousand of philosophy threads per hour and nobody says nothing
Damn.

Look at those potato graphics

Do you have to install the game using floppy disks lmao?

>this is how brainlet soulsdrones are
funny honestly, take your shit game back to /v/intendo

Bloodborne is a game from a japanese C list studio particularly famous for bad technical aspects, that started development before the current generation of consoles were even out. Nobody playing Bloodborne cares about graphics first and foremost, especially when the game has an absolutely amazing art team (both visually and audio wise). Quite frantically a disgusting statement of the state of the industry that Bloodborne didnt win awards for its music

youtube.com/watch?v=cKk6XqcmB4Q

youtube.com/watch?v=3V9zxXN1rx0

youtube.com/watch?v=BCDEDi5gDPo

youtube.com/watch?v=1EISe-WdZYE