Anyone tried keto? Did it change your life

Anyone tried keto? Did it change your life.

I eat like shit but still exercise and play lots of footy. I also hear keto improves athleticism. So is it legit?

Other urls found in this thread:

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001903.pub2/full
beefmagazine.com/beef-quality/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-ground-beef-no-difference-healthfulness
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16500874
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846864/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22060866
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1986.tb00802.x/abstract
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No

No beans? Fuck off.

I couldn't afford to eat keto.
That excludes too many basic food staples.
Also why would cheese be ok but not milk?

I think you can have a little bit of beans on keto

I GO INTO KETOSIS WHEN I FAST.

ITS A DIFFERENT FEELING FOR SURE. NO UPS AND DOWNS OF ENERGY, JUST A CONSTANT NORMAL RELEASE FROM YOUR LIVER AND FAT STORES.

PERSONALLY I FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO EAT LOW CARB/HIGH FAT, MUCH OF MY FAVORITE FOOD HAS A STARCH IN IT.

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT COACHES PREFER CARBS BECAUSE THEY'RE MORE EASILY ACCESSIBLE SOURCES OF ENERGY.

HUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS FALSE

Because milk has a lot of sugar.

Nah, it's affordable. Basically you avoid carbs. Milk is actually fine as long as it's full fat

>Anyone tried keto?
yes
>Did it change your life.
I'm down over 100 in a year

It might not be for everybody, but I suggest you at least try if you need to really shred some lb's.

I spend about $30 a week on groceries

>I spend about $30 a week
what are your typical meals?

I'm a student, so nothing fancy
A meal consists of green vegetables + some sort of easy to prepare meat dish.

Can you write up a basic shopping list? I'd do keto if I could find decent recipes for the week.

Keto is good for losing weight, but poor overall for an athlete.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!?

Yes, and yes it was marvelous. Just hard to comply long term.

I'd rearrange OP's pic as follows: Greens & Oils below meat, nuts below non-green veggies. Avocado counts as a green veggie btw.

Did it for 3 weeks. Was great, lost a lot of weight, felt more energetic and my thinking felt much clearer. Then I had to travel somewhere and I relapsed into my old style of chowing down on carbs and got fat again.

>I'm down over 100 in a year
what was your peak weight?

Keto cured my fatigue issue

I was 407 after I got my scale after 3 months in. I'm technically lying when I say over 100, as I don't know my start weight, but I lost tens of pounds. Currently 325.

Why the fuck are beans excluded? The whole point of this meme diet is protein and beans have protein.

I don't think this diet is specifically bad but I don't understand what it adds. All that matters for losing weight is calories in vs calories out. I'm losing 4 pounds a week by eating 800-900 calories a day. I'm not doing anything weird just eating less. I've even been eating shit like potato chips.

>14,000 caloric deficit
Jesus Christ, user. Are you fucking OKAY?

The idea is that cutting the sugar and carbs puts you in "ketosis". That's when there's no sugar to run off of so your body runs off fat.

Fasting can also put you in ketosis since eventually you run out of sugar from food

holy shit, good luck bro

Too many carbs. Beans "have" protein but would be filed under carbs

are you a woman by any chance?

>Jesus Christ, user. Are you fucking OKAY?
I actually don't even feel that bad, really surprising to me.

Because the point of this meme diet is to avoid carbohydrates

Your body running off fat doesn't mean that you lose weight, so the user you responded to is more correct than you are. The allure of a ketogenic state is that there are no spikes or troughs of blood sugar, you're always at your fasting blood glucose concentration. This concentration varies from person to person, and if you've got diabetes, keto will probably put your blood sugar low enough to KO you if you took insulin.
This is why I don't understand why carrots and tomatoes and berries are allowed. Carrots I know are super high sugar, tomatoes have a decent amount as well.

thats why you gotta keto with a calorie defecit

Yeah
But the point of keto is that the foods are high in fat, which take way longer to emulsify and absorb so you feel full for longer, and the veggies are to give you high nutrients density so you don't get that "true hunger" feeling. Sorry, I should have made that point in my first post but I got distracted. Keto makes it easier to eat less.

You are aging your body ballistically.

wouldn't overeating age your body a lto more?

Explain? I've seen some papers that saying that the popularity of the keto diet is troublesome because of the number of overweight diabetics putting themselves in the ICU to try to lose weight, and that the typical sources of fat have suicidal levels of sat-fats (contributing to serum LDL levels) and cholesterol, and even some that say that fasting (or at least exciting your pancreas less often) is correlated with longer life, but none that say that eating less = aging faster. They probably are aging fast if they're just eating junk food (fruit intake correlated to slowed degredation of telomeres). I'll try to find the one saying that fasting makes you live longer. They talked about how it's been largely overlooked because pre-modern humans didn't eat as much, but the lesser medical care of the time is a confounding element preventing people from making the connection.

Wait, why is cheese okay but milk isn't?

All I could find was a bunch (I mean a fuckton) of articles with links to articles on the same site talking about studies (with no direct hyperlinks) of animals being put on intermittent (2 day droughts) fasting and exhibiting weight loss (obviously), lowered blood pressure, and less incidences of tumors. A ton of nutritionists seem to swear by fasting, but those guys are often bought out and will say whatever's sensational. Moreso than other scientists.

Milk has a way higher sugar:fat ratio than cheese.

Milk has lactose, which is sugar. With cheese and yogurt the sugar is eaten by bacteria in the fermentation process.

Whole milk is actually ok, just not in large quantities. Chart is a bit outdated

keto to me was meat on a bed of greens with vinaigrettes/pan sauces.

Saute/roast chicken legs with skin on a bed of arugula with a butter/chicken stock pan sauce
make pulled pork and throw it on watercress with pan juices made into a vinaigrette.
Grill a steak and have an iceberg wedge with blue cheese.
I even had duck confit leg on arugula a few times.

Also eggs, eat a shit ton of eggs.
scrambled
omelettes with fresh herbs
poached with bacon on frisee with bacon grease vinaigrette.

Did you mean 1400?

But yes, 900 is too few. You don't want to get loose skin.

It's something fat niggers do because "muh fuckin bacon and butter"

Yeah, been doing it for a few years. Definite improvement in my life, with healthier stats across the board since then. Started mid-30's 190 lbs, slow and steadily down to current 165 lbs in my late 30's. Not an athlete, but I've always had a very physical job. No issues with energy, but I eat less frequently and less by volume. As far as athletic performance in ketosis goes, the way I understand it is that you never hit the wall. You can go all fucking day exercising without fatigue. I've found this to be true since I can jog 10 miles now without really feeling tired afterwards. I think carb-eating athletes have a slight advantage in the first 1-3 hours, but burn out much sooner since they can't switch over to fat energy without a 12 downtime or a refuel. So it kinda depends what kind of performance you're looking for. Do you want to be a race car or a diesel truck? It's interesting stuff. Try it out. Expect the first few days of switching your metabolism over to feel shitty.

A pound is roughly 3,500 calories. user was losing 4 lbs a week. 4×3,500 = 14,000

It likely has long-term negative effects on your liver. Humans who survive on a similar diet (such as the Maasai tribe) counteract the massive fat intake with rigorous and frequent physical activity, and have adapted to the diet over centuries. I'll also point out that most humans lived off of a combination of fats and carbs.

The other group - people with severe epilepsy that will not respond to treatment, restrict carbohydrates so severely that they live under constant lab monitoring and nutrition supplements.

Keto loss is only sustainable if you eat that way for the rest of your life, as your body is never trained to slowly burn carbohydrates. It's a non-sustainable meme crash diet. If you get good weight loss - that's great. Just make sure you use something like the Atkins model to reintroduce yourself to a more regular eating pattern.

So, currently unsubstantiated claim that not eating carbs will literally kill you? Not trying to be a dick, but I would love if you could point me to any studies that prove it's unhealthy. I've been doing it for years and have had great results, but I am a pragmatist who will change his mind as new information is presented. I don't want to be right. I want to win.

You know they would actively ban you (((loud posters))), right?

I decided to go on a plant based diet, currently trying to cut out butter and decrease my intake of oils.
If you decide to keep eating meat, eggs, and dairy, please buy them from a good source, such as your local farmers market. Learn the difference between animals kept in confinement, cage free, free range, and pasture raised.
Stop supporting the companies that care more about making money than the health of their animals.

If you continue to eat a plant-based diet please buy your produce from local sources where they weren't picked by slave laborers or illegal migrant workers and weren't shipped halfway around the world with fossil fuels. Learn the difference between sustainable cropping, croplands rotated with pasturelands, and big agribusiness.

holy fuck i've been doing keto on accident this whole time
>cheese nuts berries
>tuna and chicken
>broccoli spinach
>eggs

You're not necessarily in ketosis. It all depends on the amounts of fats vs protein and carbohydrates. Get some ketone test strips and find out.

The archetypical ketogenic diet has calories from fats at around 70% of total daily intake.

I thought very low carbs triggered ketosis, like under 20 grams or so per day. E.g. if you eat nothing at all and just drink water, you will go into ketosis, so I don't think the ratio of fat/protein makes a difference, just carb intake.

>So is it legit?
ANY diet claiming ANY specific health benefits is full of shit.
Excluding perfecly fine food items like beans and milk is bull crap.

Keto, as all other diets Fight me.

Yes, but you didn't specify any proportions. You could be eating giant piles of meat, nuts and vegetables. It's the ratio compared to your lean body mass. To be dead sure, you have to be very strict and weigh everything and math it out, or fast, then verify it with urine ketone test strips. I've been doing this for a long time, and about half the people I've met who are trying it are obviously not in dietary ketosis based on what and how much I've seen them eating.

>ANY diet claiming ANY specific health benefits is full of shit.
dumb

>I'm down over 100 in a year
I doubt your diet was the only thing you changed. Check back here next year to report on your relaps.

calories v calories out.
That's all there is to it, no fad diets or other bullshit.

Ok, I will. The ketogenic diet is most often used therapeutically as treatment for epilepsy, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and obesity. It is often very successful, and this is well-documented.

I challenge you to source a scientific piece of evidence that proves me wrong.

[citation needed]

Start with wikipedia, then click on all the links at the bottom to every current medical text, dingleberry.

I've used the test strips a number of times, each time to get into ketosis all I did was cut out almost all carbs for 2 or 3 days, and that worked. I didn't calculate any other shit about fats and protein rations.

Well, cool. Some people have trouble understanding which foods have what macros.

More fucking recipes; less trying to persuade nonbelievers.
Pic related.

>Start with wikipedia,
Ok.
Claims effective for epilepsy. Used as such since the 1920's. For claims of medical efficacy the Cochrane institute is where it's at. [2] You see, a study with a positive result is worth, well nothing much. You need dozens of good quality studies, put all the results in a big bag and start analyzing. That's what Cochrane does. And did for Keto studies. And the outcome? After almost a century of keto they were able to find only five (5!) studies that complied to standard quality criteria. None were blinded. A proper analyses was not possible due to methodological differences. But overall 30-40% reduction in seizures was reported. And some
gastrointestinal side effects.
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001903.pub2/full

Not a very strong case for keto.

Bacon and eggs on a salad
Obviously ignore the brioche croutons

part 2

>I want to win.

Win by doing what you want and doing your own research. If that was truly your goal, then you wouldn't have undertaken an extreme diet to begin with.

What I'll tell you is that there is no conclusive evidence that points to direct harm or benefit. People lose weight, but the weight loss isn't sustainable. We still don't fully understand the correlation of cholesterol to heart disease. We don't fully understand the effects of consistent usage of glycogen in your liver (which is present for emergencies, in theory). We don't fully understand the effects of saturated fat on heart disease.

There's a lot of hokey claims and science which attempts to exaggerate the benefits of a keto diet. I'm not accusing you of perpetuating any of it, user - you obviously haven't. I'm just saying this to make a complete point. It lowers body weight, can balance out LDL and HDL cholestrol and can lower blood gluclose. That's it. That's what we know for sure it does with the current studies. Increases in energy, improved mood and all that other shit is stuff reported in other diets that starve you.

If it works for you and you have an easy time doing it and have done your own research, I say do it. But, like I said, you should consider incorporating a few rare complex carbohydrates into your diet if you don't already.

There is no benefit to doin keto over a similar low calorie diet. Your body has complex systems to regulate fat stores and energy use. You're not magically going to burn more fat because you're in ketosis.
That being said if you can eat fewer calories doing it then go ahead. The best diet is whichever you can stick to and not eat.

Lose skin is inevitable during weight loss, you just don't notice if it takes you 3 years to lose the weight. The speed at which you lose it doesnt change how loose your skin will be after the same period of time. If you lose it quickly you will just be thinner for longer and have looser skin relevitely. If you do it slowly you will have less loose skin because youre still a fatass.

this is the worst weight loss meme.

In the process of making cheese the bacteria converts almost all the lactose into lactic acid which gives cheese the tangy flavor it has.

Full fat milk still has tons of lactose. Best to avoid it altogether.
Basic shopping list - grass fed beef, fatty fish, duck, bacon, eggs, pecans, macadamias, kerrygold, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, pork rinds, cheese, heavy cream, raspberries, strawberries
Too much protein will kick you out of ketosis. Dietary fat needs to be HIGH, carbs VERY low and protein needs to be moderate to maintain ketosis.

I could easily eat no carb but i don't understand how To keep 80% fat in my diet while keeping proteins to below 25%
Most recipes Ive found are beyond annoying to make and i love cheese but i can't eat that only, plus counting calories for them is beyond annoying

>grass fed beef
not necessary. Paleo bullshit.
Any beef is fine.

Any good recipe library?

>All that matters for losing weight is calories in vs calories out.

Yes but it has been proven that calorie restriction with no change in meal frequency reduces your metabolism

how about you eat all the beans you want because they're good for you

stop following fucking meme diets you fat idiots

not necessary for maintaining ketosis, but grass-fed is higher in omega 3's and most people's diet is lacking in that department.

for the price difference of grass fed and grass finished beef I can buy a side of salmon and eat it.

Never buy into the paleo psuedo shit.

Would you mind giving me a source on that? Not disputing it, it's just news to me, so I'd like to read up on it

>carrots and tomatoes and berries
Carrots and tomatoes aren't allowed(or only in very limited amounts under 20-30 carb/day)

>for the price difference of grass fed and grass finished beef I can buy a side of salmon and eat it.
Price difference is negligible in my area, but even in areas where it's more expensive I feel like you're exaggerating the difference unless you live near a salmon farm.
>paleo psuedo shit
It's got nothing to do with paleo. The whole idea of a proper keto diet isn't just eating tons of whatever fatty meat you can get your hands on, it's about eating quality fats and doing your best to maintain a good (low) omega 6/3 ratio.

You're wasting your money.
beefmagazine.com/beef-quality/grass-fed-vs-grain-fed-ground-beef-no-difference-healthfulness
This has been known for years.

Just eat less food you fatasses. Your bodies don't defy the laws of physics. Calories in calories out.

it's more complicated than that, but nice try.

>beef magazine
>Texas A&M University
>article literally confirms higher Omega 3's in grass-fed
>Study lasted a mere 5 weeks, not long enough for any meaningful conclusions but definitely long enough to say that there's no clear scientific benefit.

You're either a shill for the grain-fed beef industry or you fell for their memes

Here -
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16500874
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846864/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22060866

>Paleofag with the pubmed search engine
Beef is Beef brainlet.

I dont know if i necessarily went keto but i went low carb about 5 years ago and went from 240 down to 185 in about 5 months, altho i was working out every day i found once i got past the initial hump that i felt much better day to day. Altho it will somewhat inhibit your performance in the gym.

You're the only one mentioning paleo around here. I've said nothing about it. I've been doing keto for almost a year now and truly know nothing about paleo except their diet has an even more retarded name than keto.
I would like to understand your argument better, but all I keep hearing is that you aren't a fan of paleo and that apparently you believe that regardless of its diet, all beef has the same lipid profile.
I would say that you that you're probably right about paleo, but you're dead wrong about beef.

Nah its as simple as that fatty

No. really the minutia of difference in grassfed vs grain fed beef in both nutrition and flavor (grain fed is better in flavor) is offset by a varied diet in fatty fish.

it's a drastic oversimplification for brainlets on bb.com. (ie (you))

Agree with you about the flavor, but

(source)
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1986.tb00802.x/abstract

And how do you counteract that imbalance?
Eat fucking varied diet.

How hard it is it to read?

phd in physics over here, folks

Ignore the canola oil too

canola is fine; you're a fag.

>calories in calories out

Is this a good diet to follow when you're doing cross-fit or any other intense training?