V

would you be interested in a V reading group?

strawpoll.me/13311049

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13311049
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Was just about to read this anyway

Bump

i'd be down. Bought it a month ago but have read a few other things since that were on the shelf.

Up for a re-read. In.

V is better than GR. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should get in on this

Finished GR a while ago and was about to read this anyway.

Just finished a rereading I'm down to discuss it

any time's a good time to read V.

Yes, just not yet. There's some pre-V reading material I'm trying to get through (ie. what Pynchon was reading in preparation for writing V. and GR).

when you guys would like to start? I was thinking of monday, so the biggest number of people possible could see the thread and prepare themselves.

V.'s great.
Wouldn't read it though.

Too early for me but I don't care.

opinions on this schedule? is it too fast? too slow? I calculated about 20~ pages a day, based on a PDF, we should finish the book in 20 days in this rythm.

YES LET'S HAVE A TELEGRAM GROUP

YIPPEE!

Only if we keep going after this and read all of Pynchon.

maybe I'll join u guys depends if I have finished my current book till monday

First time reading Pinecoine. In.

I'd do it. I believe after V would be lot49?

The only Pynchons I haven't read are V. and Vineland, so your post got me excited for V. I doubt it will top GR for me, but i hope it comes close.

so are you all ok with this schedule? can I do the same for the rest of the book?

This is way slow. Do you guys really only read 20 pages per day? 40-50 would only be an hour or two of reading, and weekends will push the average higher than that, even. I'll join, but I think it should be a little faster, personally.

yes, its not hard, but it might be inaccesible for some people, because not all are used to reading 50~ pages a day, and they might have other things to do/other books to read, so it might discourage them.

lets hear more opinions on the schedule

too soon imo

I'm down.
Have an old fucked up 1964 paperback of it lying around somewhere.

yes, this book is fun as a barrel of monkeys and i haven't read anything pynchon in a while. it's also not as big a task as a gravity's rainbow reading group so it's less likely to fizzle out.

when do we start?

I'd like to be part of this but it starts too soon for me

i'll echo both these sentiments. too soon, and too slow.

When are you starting I'd ideally like a physical copy to read from

why are people who can't read a meagre 50 pages even reading Pynchon anyway

i'm on the moby dick reading group and switching between kjv and greek plays. 50 pgs a day would be impossoble for me.

just an example

to all you guys saying it is too early, one 1 month be enough time?

August 8th would be good for me

meant 'would 1 month' noy one 1

I'm already a quarter of the way through but I will be monitoring the threads if this reading group actually works.

gimme at least 1 week

but really i dont care, i was planning on researching extensively for the novel and i will continue to do that regardless of when this reading group takes off

Can you tell us what that is?

this

This

I'm ok with it, but will accommodate whatever decision. Know getting stuff like this together can be a trial!

this book is loads of fun, can't wait

The Human Use of Human Beings - Norbert Wiener

is one of them

Moby Dick, for that matter. Though the parallels are veiled, theyre fairly obvious once made explicit.

I've read both books more than once and I cannot think of any parallels beyond Ahab's and Stencil's hunts (tenuous) and maybe the epilogue?

Read earlier this Summer, but I'd love to be a part of the discussion with you all

moby-dick has strong parallels with GR, not sure about V.

Thomas Pynchon will release a novel within the next two years or so. It's about private military contractors and the rise of mercenary markets in the wake of the 2003 Iraq War. The protagonist is an American contractor by the name of Dusty Biggins. This new novel marks an anomaly in Pynchons work, as it is told from the perspective of a character involved with the "Man" and not the Resistance. Screen cap this if you like.

Working title is The Circuit, btw. He began writing this novel before he started Bleeding Edge. This is all that I know.

Dubs tell the truth, capped

i just want him to release anything

>This new novel marks an anomaly in Pynchons work, as it is told from the perspective of a character involved with the "Man" and not the Resistance.
Frenesi and Brock ?

I've only read V, CoL49, GR and Bleeding Edge. That anomaly comment was my own, and I stand corrected. I could very well be wrong about this as well, but I believe the government agent in Bleeding Edge (I forgot his name. Wynham? W-something) was derivative of this new (not actually so new) protag, Dusty Biggins. It's likely that this novel will be an encyclopedic epic in the vein of GR, but featuring a more overt political stance ala Bleeding Edge. Again, this post is all speculation.

Can i read this if i've never read anything by Pynchon and if i'm a complete brainlet when it comes to american lit?

Yes, it's his first novel and it's not a hard read if you're enjoying the material.

>, but featuring a more overt political stance ala Bleeding Edge

the stance isnt overt in BE, read it again

stance is pretty overt

how do you know this

>strawpoll.me/13311049
Too soon for me as well, though I'd love to be part of a group

I think something has to put you in mind of it in order to consciously follow because so much else is going on. Will make it a side topic when perusing the ventures of the whole sick crew, etc. Though obviously parodic /your spoiler obviously applies. Melville was on his mind, just as he was on Fitzgerald's and Salinger's etc. before.

I think this pace is good, we want people to be able to digest and discuss effectively, so we don't need to go too fast.
Read part of V. before but got distracted by personal problems. Looking forward to getting back into it, because it was a fun read.

We should do it after the Moby Dick reading group

Too lazy to read the whole thread, but I am game.

Never participated in a Veeky Forums reading group before. What should I know?

It will die after 2 weeks

It will be dropped really quickly, two or three people who have read it before will hype up sections and spoil things and people will start complaining that they are getting behind, people not following alone will post block paragraphs on why the writer is a complete hack for pseuds, a meme or two might be forced, and it will end.

fuck off retards, you don't want to participate, just get out. war&peace worked out, moby dick is working out

you always love to come in every single reading group to say it is not going to work. you are probably part of the retards that don't even read in this board

What happened to the short story reading group, start with the greeks reading group and don quixote reading group then

The moby dick reading group doesn't even have a thread up atm

not at all, i personally made the OP threads for
2 of the infinite jest groups and the gravity's rainbow group, i'm just telling it like it is

cump

ewww

Can I join if I've only watched the TV show. The original miniseries i mean not the one from 2009

Everyone here is too pretentious and artificial.

inanimate if you will.

At any rate I hope this comes off. Whenever's fine with me.