How in the actual fuck are you supposed to understand Shakespeare?

How in the actual fuck are you supposed to understand Shakespeare?

Being fluent in English is probably a pretty good start.

I know this might come as a shock but you are semi-literate at best.
All those teachers who told you that you were smart growing up were not doing you any favors. If they really cared about you they would have told you the truth and helped you to improve. They didn't. They told you want you wanted to hear so that they wouldn't have to invest energy dealing with you.

Now is the time to recognize your shortcomings. Accept that you are stupid. Accept that you are uneducated. This is the first step on the path of bettering yourself.

>what is sparknotes

It's not hard to follow if you watch the plays. Consult outside resources as well.

No, mate. My verbal reasoning is genius level. I think you may be projecting.

>verbal reasoning
lel

By not being retarded.

Shakespeare is entry-level stuff.

Such a disgusting string of thought, yuck toof

When you comprehend how old he is
and how he never misses an opportunity to make a raunchy joke- I mean it's just a pleasure I guess

hows your arse? a bit sore? brainlet

how's yer ass, man?

nearly every difficult-to-understand part of shakespeare is filled with verbal clues that make it easier to figure it out, in the context of the word, of it's roots, of maybe similar-sounding ones etc.

The most difficult part besides some archaic words is probably that you aren't used to sentences that don't have the subject-verb-object word order if you only know English.
English back then had closer ties to its Germanic roots which had a different word order, and poetry in general switches it up sometimes.

A good way to help with comprehension is to read a scene and then watch the scene. Do not try to read the entire play like a novel or watch a production all the way through if you are struggling to understand the basics.

t. high-school English teacher/failure

I will never understand this.

We teach this shit to children. Literal children. And most can follow.

"Shakespeare is difficult" is a gigantic lie. It you can read, you can read Shakespeare.

People forget the degrees of difficulty in Shakespeare, his later plays contain parts even Samuel Johnson or Frank Kermode struggle to understand and it is highly doubtful you would understand the intricacies of speeches from Coriolanus first time.

idk, just fucking enjoy him and be ready for some major keks

I hate this place.

Hahaha the "I fucking hate this place" meme. Hella frickin epic dude!!

The same way you understand any writing. You read the words presented, consider their meaning, and then move on to some more words.

1. Don't care about information.

2. Don't care about morality.

3. Don't care about art.

4. Care about stupid puns.

>verbal reasoning
Pasta source?

Overall it's pretty good. Regarding characters and Wallace's writing it's great, amazing at times even. After you finish it though it's not really satisfying, which I get is kindof the point but what Wallace is kindof full of shit when it comes to what he's trying to do thematically here.

7/10