Mashed Potatoes Recipe

Post your best and most tried and true mashed potato recipes ITT. I need inspiratio for Thanksgiving coming up next week, and I lost the recipe I used last year (they came out great too). I'm going for a chunky, russet/yukon gold mixture probably with sour cream. What else would go good in this (not going with garlic mashed potatoes)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wg2ajk7W6t4
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=289&v=YhgVLz0MVwg
youtube.com/watch?v=LOnMscsNAMk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like dental mashed with a bit of garlic salt and butter. Hard to go wrong with that

boil potato. mash with bear hand

I usually either boil or bake the potatoes. Boil with a bunch of salt until a fork passes easily or microwave for 2-4 minutes to par-cook and then into a 400 oven for 15-20 minutes.

Boiling I guess gelatinizes the starches better but baking adds less moisture. Really either works. Then get a ricer and put quartered potatoes through. Also, no need to skin the potatoes as the ricer will trap the skin.

I also like to roast a whole head of garlic while I am making it at 375 for 40-50 minutes.

You could add cream cheese, I like aged tomme, but you could use comte, gruyere, anything you like but I like to add about 1/4-1/2 cup of cheese per pound of potato. I add about 1-2tbsp of butter per pound of potato and maybe around 1/4 cup of heavy cream per lb of potato. I also like to add some fresh parsley and maybe some lightly sautéed leeks or green onions (unless you want crunch in which case skip this). I like to twice bake my riced potatoes with all the seasonings added in a sheet pan lined with foil or parchment at 400 for another 25-35 minutes or until brown but I like to make a topping of a tbsp or two of butter and about 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs to sprinkle over the top along with some parmesan.

If you want chunky I would use a whisk not a ricer, but I think ricer is the nicer texture for company potatoes for most people. You could also chop some fresh chives or add some fresh basil or oregano. I think a mixture of some cheese, some butter, some milk/cream, some aromatics, potatoes, salt, and pepper works for most folks. The buttered breadcrumbs really are nice though.

Never thought I would almost fall asleep reading a post.

I try to be comprehensive because I know I like reading more info and being able to glean what i need rather than getting less.

Back off??

Made me laugh. But.. why are you here if not for cooking discussion?

Formatting sucks. Too many maybes and options. He seems unsure about what tastes good, which probably means he doesn't make mashed taters often.

Luxurious potato puree?
Easy. Lots of butter emulsified in the hot potatoes.
When I say lots I think 2:1 potato to butter.

>dental mashed
you chew them up and spit them back int the pot?

That would be gross you have two layers of plastic bags to stop saliva from getting on them. It helps to find hard chunks you normally miss

Add an egg and pipe it out, then roast it.

Add egg, leek, cheese, onion, and maybe my personal opinion then scoop or pipe it back into the skin. Serve as is or roast again.

Add cooked kale and or spinach and or bacon.

Pour bechamel over. Sprinkle with minced pimentos. Sprinkle with diced or minced kalamatas. Throw some fucking basiled-shrimp in there and have fun. Just have fun.

boil the fuck out of some washed but unpeeled potatoes (russets and yukon golds according to OP)
add sour cream, butter, salt and pepper, mash by hand to combine
use an immersion blender and pulse until smooth, or just mash the fuck out of them until you're exhausted if you don't have one

they're fucking mashed potatoes
it's NOT hard

thx for the guide tumbler

What the fuck is your fucking problem, you fucker?

Not sure what dental mashed is but try boiling some cloves of garlic with the potatoes, they get soft and milder and you can just mash it all together. Better flavor than garlic salt.

>skins in mashed potatoes
Disgusting. Unless you meant to say peel the hot potatoes before mashing.

OP here, I will definitely be doing skin in the mash. No other way hombre.

Congrats on being texturally challenged.
>lets make a smooth puree but keep chunks of leathery skins in it! only because i'm a lazy fucking cook and I don't feel like peeling potatoes.

Real op here. This is not me i prefer no skins

No I just like giving people options for how complex they want to be.

I love the texture of skins in MPs, plus they add extra fiber and micronutrients. I can't stand the fucks who refuse to eat skins. If you don't like them, go buy baby food.

Thanksgiving mashed potatoes should be simple as they should be covered in freshly made gravy.
I personally believe that yukon golds have the best texture. Cut into small pieces (i.e. no bigger than the end of you thumb).
Rinse with water to remove excess free starch. This will remove any "gluey" texture issues.
Boil in heavily salted water until your desired doneness. Less done for chunky / more done for smooth and velvety. Too much will make them grainy.
Drain and return to pot. Mash with potato masher, potato ricer, or hand mixer.
Mix in lots of irish butter, some evaporated milk with chicken better than bouillon dissolved in it, salt, and pepper.

never boil potatoes without skin, they become waterlogged. You're trying to make an emulsification, don't make it harder on yourself by waterlogging your potatoes.

Boiled potatoes
Garlic (roasted preferred)
Butter
Small amount of milk/heavy cream
Salt/Pepper
Secret ingredient: Urine (about one teaspoon per potato)

Mash all ingredients together, best mash potatoes ever

anything fucking with the teeth skeeves me out

>buy box of mashed potatoes from store
>follow directions
>eat
Walla

>never boil potatoes without skin, they become waterlogged.
They become waterlogged when overcooked not because they did not have the skin on. That is the grainy texture to which I referred.
I like mine kind of chunky. I boil mine for about a minute or two less than most people

>not being able to read

I said I was making chunky MP, chunky and skins go hand in hand dude.

Enjoy ruining thanksgiving by feeding everyone a subpar dinner because of your own laziness. But your parents won't expect much will they?

You do know what an opinion and subjective taste is, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=wg2ajk7W6t4

Yes, Objectively you're making a potato salad. Mashed potatoes is a puree.

Grated ginger and garlic
Lots of butter
Splash of milk

>Grated ginger
no

Mashed potatoes should be something simple and not overthought. Here is my method.

>use russet potatoes. peel them if desired and then cut them into about 1.5-2 inch cubes
>Boil the potatoes in graciously salted water or chicken broth until a fork easily passes through. Drain.
>return to pot and add a generous amount of butter and begin mashing with mixer, hard wooden spoon, or even a fork works fine if you're not worried about the pot
>add salt, pepper, maybe a dash of warm chicken broth
>before they get too creamy, add a generous amount of sour cream
>taste as you go and adjust your seasonings accordingly

I've seen some people sub cream cheese for the sour cream. Some people like to add cheddar.

Don't overthink it though, OP. Happy Thanksgiving.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=289&v=YhgVLz0MVwg
This looks good.
I kinda want to try doing a full Food Wishes Thanksgiving.

i just go with butter,cream,salt and pepper. works every fucking time

Shitloads of butter, enough salt, cream, freshl ground pepper, thyme and garlic poweder.

skins in mashed potatotes is like fucking with a condom, not even close to being as good as without

>dental mash
>mash with bear hand
What a solid start to a thread.

>add a generous amount of sour cream
like 30,000 liters? that would be very generous

Literally and objectively better than homemade.
>chunky
Absolutely disgusting.

shut up

>leathery skin
Have you ever even seen a potato?

Then post your favorite fail-safe recipe guaranteed to be loved by almost everyone. Don't be a coward, friend, you can't please everyone.

>boil potatoes
>add butter and 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
>mash potatoes
>Mash up a 1-2 cloves of garlic add that to potato
>Add freshly chopped up parsley
>Mix it all in

Try knor chicken bullion

youtube.com/watch?v=LOnMscsNAMk

Sorry.

Do it normally but go easy on the salt. Add your dairy (sour cream is popular but I use milk) add your butter but then throw in the chicken bullion (it has to be Marcos shit)

I tried it and was pleasantly surprised.

I recommend it strongly.

I like to add a little plain Greek yoghurt at the end. Good flavor, man.

take potat
make water hot
hit potat
put in
done

Thx for the guide tumbler

Get some potatoes, best kind is King Edward ones as they have the best texture and taste. you can substitute this for any kind of fluffy potato however. Boil these till soft.
Purée the potatoes with a purée press, the one in the picture not one of those mush-mush things that leaves bits and pieces.
Add plenty of butter and start mixing.
Add milk till the potatoes reach godhood consistency, if you want the mashed potatoes to ascend even higher than god, add some rich cream as well.
Add salt and white pepper to taste.
Serve with melted butter.

If you add sour cream you just have shit taste, it destroys the taste of potatoes. If you have shit taste however, I guess I can't stop you from eating shit.

Ah shit I realised you wanted it chunky with those bits and pieces, fuck that though.

The only people who makes chunky mashed potatoes are people who likes to boast that it's handmade, even though it's inferior to smooth mashed potatoes

>i don't like sour cream in my mashed potatoes so anyone who does has shit taste
fag