>skip the 50 page intro
that was your second mistake

your first mistake was starting with the greeks

It's called metaphysics for a reason

no

you are a beautiful froglet

keep trying

you'll fit right in

OP, you are beautiful. You give birth to oceans every day.

technically, yes, you're a brainlet, but most of us are. find a guide on what to read beforehand as well as a dummy's guide to aristotle or a shmoop page and you should manage.

Part of the joy of reading is being reminded how stupid you really are. This should just motivate you to read more

>>You give birth to oceans every day

I'm new to Veeky Forums - could you explain the origins of that line? I've seen it around. I tried googling but couldn't find anything.

that's
because
the line
is
written
this

It's Amanda Lovelace.

you won't understand the metaphysics before the physics.

Aristotle's Metaphysics is impossible to understand. You might still be a brainlet, though.

Or just, well, you know...start with the greeks in a correct manner.

Pic related it's ok. I saw in phi guide that not all of those books are compulsive. From experiencie I can recommend you to follow this path:

>Mythology
>The Iliad
>The Oddisey
>The Histories
>(optional) any secondary lit book of your preference related to the greek philosophers
>Plato's Dialogues
>Aristotle (start with Ethics, don't be a hero)

me again. This "path" is mostly a guidance towards an overall understanding greek important philosophy. I'm assuming you picked up Metaphysics because of some interest in phi.

If you want to read the plays, I suppose it also can help you, just instead of Plato and Aristotle.

Context is important. I've heard this Yale Course could help you get a grasp of it. I'm about to give a try. Stay sharp! Kudos.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL023BCE5134243987&feature=plcp

>just instead of Plato and Aristotle.

...pick up Aeschylus, Euripides and Sophocles

>Stay sharp!
Not even that guy, and not on topic, but I hate these smug little commands, despite being innocent enough. They reek of self-satisfaction. Your whole post is rotten with it, as are most others that graciously impart wisdom and guidance to the peasants from above. You're a noob and your gentle helping hands belong up a butthole. Get the fuck up off of your horse, chief, because you don't know how to ride.

This

I love it when I can barely understand something. It reminds me of when I was a child.

Stay sharp!

That's coz you don't start with Metaphysics. As it clearly says in the Philosophy Project of the Veeky Forums wiki, Ethics>Politics>On Poetry>The Organon>Physics>On the Soul>Metaphysics>Rhetoric. You're not a brainlet, just lazy/slightly blind.

>calls out perceived smugness via his own smugness

god, i hate summer....

This post is so reddit

this thread made me cry so hard i laughed.

>he went with aristotle over plato

>start with the greeks
>post socratics

>tfw finding annotated critical editions in your language is almost impossible although your country did a shit ton for classical literature

Spain didn't do shit don't delude yourself

The first chapter is not hard to understand at all, he just makes the distinction between sensory perception, memory of particulars, and understanding of first principles.

Aim for 30% comprehension.

Little by little, the percentage will change, and eventually you'll get to 70-75% comprehension.

That's the point at which you can begin to understand and form your own opinions more or less :)

Then you can start searching for other stuff.
Keep at it lil Froggo

You have to prepare your mind to understand such things. Start getting physical exercise, meditate daily, eat healthy food, practice with less intensive works, or read a companion for a framework before you start. The Greek philosophers were masters of writing and thought. Us 21st century plebs are nothing compared to them. Get more on their level and you will be able to read their writing more easily.