The master and margarita

thoughts?

lmao the guy's name was Faggot!

I have the Michael Glenny translation.
*le sìgh*

It's Fagot, and the book's original language isn't English. Nice try.
My favourite book.
My translation is pefect (Macedonian).

White Guard was better

Pretty good. I like the scene where jesus and pontius pilatus meet and discuss something, forgot what now, something equally profound and russian I guess. Otherwise, I liked the cat persona (satan? been a while since I read it) and the overall magic realism of the book. I read it in my native language which seemed to be very well translated so it flowed well with me.

one of the cheesiest books I've read

Did anyone else find it legit hilarious when Behemoth found out he could use the Primus as a flame thrower and started using it liberally? Honestly the whole chapter "The Final Adventures of Koroviev and Behemoth" read like a high class episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", especially their conversation in trying to get into the restaurant.

I'm almost finished this book; it's quite wonderful.

Behemoth is hilarious.

My favorite Behemoth moment is when he tries to pay to get on the street car, they turn him away because he's a fucking giant humanoid cat, so he puts his money away, waits until the streetcar is pulling out, and just jumps on the fucking back and rides for free. I think the writers of Futurama had Behemoth in mind when they created Bender.

I thought it was terrible but I think I might have just read a bad translation. It's on my list of books to reread.

Finished reading it today.

I thought it was ok, a couple of chapters were excellent but the majority of them were ok I guess.

>(Macedonian)
not a real language

Several parts remind me of old Looney Tunes cartoons it's hilarious.

I almost feel like I am missing something. I know that Wolands main goal was to host the satanic ball in Moscow but what was the black magic seance for. Was that just him dicking around while on vacation?

>albanian

It was a convenient way for bulgakov to satirize the theater (and it's officials) in Soviet Moscow while adding some fun to the novel.

call me a pleb, but i don't get it

Read it a few weeks ago - a very vibrant book. Full of juice and energy. Some of the satire was lost on me, being unfamiliar with a lot of Soviet history. My favorite "scene" was Woland's Black Magic show, where Behemoth the cat tears the dude's head off.

I feel the same way, enjoyed it quite a bit but i felt like i missed a good portion of what was laid down for me.

Yeah, the 500 pages are perferctly translated in a non-existing language. The same people that think Macedonians are not the direct ancestors of Alexander the Great, think that harry potter is a real literature - you can't object them in the current situation and structure of the world.
You realize that the albanians in Macedonia are equally annoying as the niggers in America, right?

Probably my favourite novel. I have read the P&V and the Burgin-O'Connor translations and prefer the latter. I have heard there are some atrocious translations out there though, especially considering the censorship.

A lot of people seem to miss the point of the first half of the novel being a satire of the theatre/publishing/art culture in Moscow. It's sad that it often gets dropped before the second half begins because of this.

Woland and the Gang are spectacular.

Once I saw some faggot hipster reading this garbage on the train and, ever since then, I've vowed to never read it.

What if he didn't like it? Ever think of that, huh?

He was more than halfway through and seemed rather immersed. Piss off.

I don't know why, but the favourite book of young russian girls

What if he was only doing it for attention? Sort of like you still being in this thread waiting for replies,

>What if he was only doing it for attention?

Honestly, that's what I reasoned. He seemed like an utter faggot, with his rolled up sleeves and sleeve tattoos. Fucking hipsters, they're cancer.

What is it about Russians that makes them the literary master race?

Is that edition of the book any good?

depression

vodka and track suits

Then he must have also been a moron, because hipster lefty idiots are the pseudo-commie-aborted-spawn of the Soviet shit the book mocks. It's like those commies who rushed to purchase 1984 after Trump's victory, not realizing that 1984 was inspired by Stalin, not "literally Hitler".

They all want to be Margarita and get Woland'd.

I suspect all English translations range from terrible to very flawed. Russian literature is just about the only reason I can think of to be glad I live in a post-Soviet country.

Pevear and Volokhonsky, of course it is

Did we just become friends?

How's this translation compared to the others?

Apparently this is the best translation according to numerous russians in threads.

This is the one I read a few months ago and it seemed fine to me. It's a really good book.

go away Stalin

Oh no don't get us wrong. Macedonian exists but its not a real language. much in the same way that the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is not a real country. move to Greece you filthy slav.

This is the best one and the one they will tell you to read in university

Commies mostly hate Stalin for betraying the Revolution and having Trotsky icepick'd

Its ok. Its more choppy in flow than other P&V translations because everything is translated very literally. The footnotes help though so you understand the little Russian idioms and sayings.

Does anyone take it that the sexually suggestive scene of the knee rubbing was a metaphor for her getting fucked by Woland?

Every time I try to read interpretations about the scene, people describe it more chaste than I think Bulgakov was intending.

Also since there is a lot of parallel between the story and Bulgakov's own life, is there any knowledge that Bulgakov's 3rd wife actually fucked a Soviet official to get him out of the gulag?
I know that the Russian version of the book actually excluded the knee rubbing scene in the first versions to avoid embarrassing Bulgakov.