Veeky Forums reads Notes From The Underground - Online Day 4

We're all reading/annotating good ol Dosty on this:
174.138.60.204/

Today is Day 4: chapters VIII and IX

Thank you guys for reading along :) :) :)

Other urls found in this thread:

sarahjyoung.com/site/2010/04/20/crystal-palace-russian-literature-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fook yea

I added annotations to the side so it's easier to use the thing now. Let me know what you guys think also if you have any suggestions let me hear them

Annotations seem to have disappeared for me as well as the ability to annotate.
I'm using Firefox and also tested it in Safari.

That's weird af man idk

It works for me on Firefox. I'm using a Mac. You sure you have JavaScript enabled?

I just really love this board. That's all desu

Wow, I coincidentally just started reading this last week but the Ginsburg translation. If I wasn't almost done (and had the same translation) I would've loved to join you all.

I hope those of you participating enjoy it!

how's the Ginsburg version? her Bulgakov was meh

OP here. My head hurts boys. I'm hungover. But Im gonna try to add the ability to reply to comments on the site maybe today or tomorrow

I'm the guy who said annotations weren't showing up for me in Firefox. I loaded the page again today and they are working again. I didn't change anything, so I'm not sure what went wrong yesterday.
Just thought I'd let you know.

Glad to hear it, thanks :)

Haven't read her Bulgakov (Burgin-O'Connor is my go-to for M&M) but I am enjoying her translation of Underground. Haven't read any other versions of this text though so I don't know how it compares to other translations.

Just finished the first part. Wooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaah what a mouthful

Im not sure if I caught the whole meaning of the crystal palace discussion, so if someone could explain that id be glad

That section was mangled by censors so even dosto complained of it not making sense, I annotated the chapter heaading with his letter saying so. also check out this blog post about the crystal palace in russia.
sarahjyoung.com/site/2010/04/20/crystal-palace-russian-literature-1/

Solid meme

9/10

Had to stop guys

Everytime I try to read Dostoevsky it just hits too close to home and I fear what comes next. Nothing else compares.

Sorry to hear that

The spiral is near and far but where it is now will take you anywhere. Dig deep and I'll be waiting for you right here

For now I believe the author wanted to counter-signal Enlightenment, wrote a bad rant, then slapped a story onto it and called it a novel.

Day 6! Part II! Chapters I and II!

The reality of Dosto's characters is actually pretty terrifying.

>All that spaghetti falling out of the narrator's pockets already in the second part
I couldn't feel much for him in the first part because it felt more like him rambling and making an attempt at some social commentary.

Also, a bump for a bump's sake.

Holy fuck. This is good.

dued thanks
thanks 4 the bump

and just wanted to add,

DAY 7 BOYS
Part II, Chapters III and IV
Thanks for your contributions so far, I'm happy with how the site's going

I'm really enjoying reading this and the annotations. I wish I had something to add to them, but I'm too dumb.

How does everyone feel about the Underground Man so far?
Im beginning to have sympathy for him. I see his awkward and cringy behaviours and want to help him. I've known people similar to him who eventually turned out alright. But at the same time I hate him for what I see of myself in him. I'm not nearly as autistic as he is, but I've done some stupid things and this story makes me remember all of them.

OP here,
You can now reply to other peoples' annotations
Hopefully this will encourage discussion!

this book is heating up now. i love it