>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

bookriot.com/2017/06/23/cover-reveal-10th-anniversary-edition-name-wind-patrick-rothfuss/
amazon.com/dp/0756413710
youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is dragonlance the only time the movie has been better then the book ?

I vaguely remember reading that PKD liked Blade Runner better than Do Androids Dream...?

HAHAHA WTF is this?
bookriot.com/2017/06/23/cover-reveal-10th-anniversary-edition-name-wind-patrick-rothfuss/

They actually want $30 for this?
amazon.com/dp/0756413710

Some would argue Fight Club.
Also, not Veeky Forums but in terms of adaptations Ghost in the Shell is considered to be better than the original.

>Ghost in the Shell
You better not be talking about that shitty American movie that just came out.

Rothfuss is never gonna finish the third book. They gotta recoup their advance on him somehow.

Rephrased questions about The Fifth Head of Cerberus from last thread.

Why did the abos need trees to reproduce? Is it because the parasite made them infertile? How do the trees solve that?

Also, why didn't it just infect everyone from the get go, why ever let the abos live alongside the infected shadow children? Is it because they become infertile once infected and thus can't reproduce to make new hosts? Also why didn't it infect more humans beside Marsch?

What do you think?

Did they died?

Also should I read the novel? From the description it seems like it's just filler.

Any Burroughs fans here? Halfway through the John Carter series. Really fun stuff man. Is Tarzan worth the read? Loved the Disney adaptation when it came out. Phil Collins needs another soundtrack deal.

Are there any fantasy authors that don't constantly drag down the legitimacy of the genre ?

I know its pretty far gone but theres gotta be someone trying right?

Ursula Le Guin? GRRM (I know he's kind of a neckbeard and throws tantrum sometimes but he seems like a decent enough dude overall)? N. K. Jemisin?

Uhh, I dunno the exact number.

>GRRM

That guy has no idea how to finish his series and is just rolling around in money from HBO while dicking around writing short stories

>N.K Jemisin
>black author who writes about oppression

???

And Ursula is about to die

>N.K Jemisin
>black author who writes about oppression
What's your point?

He died before it was released I think. A shame, he might have gotten some megabux if he survived the 80's.

That shes a joke ?

well he did do a fuckload of drugs

There's a dragonlance movie?

Yes

Its animated but it has keither sutherland

You know. They say if you remember the 60's you weren't really there.

Looks pretty shitty. Like 90's murrican superhero cartoon quality.

Better then the books

If only. The shots I saw had CG dragons. I almost barfed.

Don't read the novel, trust me.

>at public library whiling my life away looking at books
>place is nearly empty except for hobos, old people and a mentally retarded man rambling really loudly
>make eye contact with a cute girl who is browsing sf/f but I'm too autistic to say anything to her
>later, looking at Orson Scott Card she approaches me
>i practically run away
>see her looking at Card for a few minutes
>try to work up the courage to talk to her
>go back and she's completely gone
Someone please beat me with a brick. I don't deserve the right to breathe other people's air.

Forgivable if you're underage.

I'm 22

Kek, I had a cute grill corner me in the SFF section of a used bookstore. She insisted on giving me a rec and receiving one in turn. It was all I could do to keep it together until the encounter ended.

Anything that's both epic and for the win?

When the girl starts the conversation it's a lot easier though. Trying to start up a conversation like a cold-calling salesperson is fucking impossible. What the fuck do I say?
>so uhh... you like Card too?

i don't intended to marry any unless they read blindsight and enjoy it

>Any Burroughs fans here?
Yeah, just not that one

Certainly, but I'm normally too autistic to keep track of my surroundings, much less bother random females.

Did you recommend my diary to her?

that she is dragging the genre down

That's a really crappy cover but to be fair, all of the other covers for this book aren't that great either.

>based on the principle that belief shapes reality, the MC's magic is powered by teaching people physics wrong
Would this work as a magic system for my novel?

Are you a good writer? It will fail horribly if you're not.

Can't that be said of anything?

>based on the principle that belief shapes reality, the MC's magic is powered by teaching people physics wrong
>Would this work as a magic system for my novel?
So you are copying Kung Pow's Movie for a book? youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

>godTree
>gravBoot
>hellDiver

I'm so glad it took me two days to get through this book, holy shit.

What's you're point.

Hang on what hive was Mycroft?

I don't know an Are.

that's some weak shit to be upset about.

what?
it's a programming convention to capitalize the second word in an object with multiple words.
don't know the book but that makes perfect sense if it's related to something digital.

It isn't.

you sure?

>legitimacy
This is a "danger word" and whenever it's thrown around you can be sure there's pseuds nearby.

How could you write your own fantasy novel, even if it was trash? How would you decide what 'story' to tell?

>hasn't even written book 3
>already doing anniversary releases for book 1
Fuck you Rothfuss

didn't he finish book 3 years ago and has been revising on it for years?

I don't understand this question. If you don't have a story to tell why would you write a novel? The whole impetus to writing a novel is so you have a way to tell the story you have. Translating the story in your head into a novel format is an arduous process, but the urge, the impetus to do it has to be very strong or else why would you do it? Writing a novel is a horrible experience like taking a massive butthole-tearing shit over a period of several weeks if not months. But it's all to get those amazing ideas in your head into a form other people can experience and enjoy.

Self inserting myself into a fantasy world which catered too my needs sexually and psychologically.

I'd simply pick themes I like and develop a story around them, let it evolve naturally from free writing, then edit it until I was satisfied with the story.
I love erotica with a female lead that gets into non-consensual sexual scenarios too.

>upset
No I think it's funny that people who already own this book will buy it again (with an awful cover)

I have no idea, I stopped looking into it years ago and I'm moving on with my life.

How is Gor?

Very.

requesting the pasta hear

>I love erotica with a female lead that gets into non-consensual sexual scenarios too.

Well, not gonna lie I am also a huge fan of those.

What are some short sff books so I can pad my goodreads challenge?

I'm pretty sure he means the animated movie is better than the manga.

Why is it that an animal lady wearing some clothes is way way hotter than one wearing no clothes at all?

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by PKD - 230p
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin - 225p
Merlin's Mirror by Andre Norton - 205p
Ellison Wonderland by Harlan " - 195p
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin - 183p
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Kneel Gay Man - 181p
Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock - 181p
The Face in the Frost by John Bellairs - 176 p
The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville - 176p
The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis - 170p
The Man Who Japed by PKD - 168p
The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K. LeGuin - 160p
Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell - 144p
Robots Have No Tails by Henry Kuttner - 117p
Flatland by Edwin Abbot - 96p
Sandkings by GRRM - 89p
R.U.R. by Karel Capek - 58p

>I love erotica with a female lead that gets into non-consensual sexual scenarios too.

>I am also a huge fan of those.

Any recommendations?

Appreciated.

wizard of earthsea if part of a quintology tho.

Ah, so you're an SM Sterling fan then

It implies they feel the need for clothes and thus can feel unclothed?

>SM Sterling
never heard of him.

They showed him the initial sequence of the movie and he liked it. He said it was similar to what he imagined.

How do you avoid being abstract and pretentious while writing? Without fault I'll always try to make every character I write deep on a level they don't need to be.

I just finished The Forever War and enjoyed it a lot. How did you guys feel about it?

I don't read macho crap :^)

Anyone have a link the audio book of Black Sun Rising.
I cant find it anywhere. the audiobookbay torrens is dead too.

good book, not as good as Armor

This shit makes me sad, because of how well it reflected his experience with Vietnam.
Yet doesn't mention getting high and raping charlies daughters in the village.

After Three Body I said "that was the most batshit insane thing I've ever read with a straight face." What can I say, he's topped it. Can't wait to finish the trilogy fucking hell. Science fiction truly has no rules. When the guy behind it knows even a little bit of real science, he'll take it to the fucking limit. This guy makes Stephenson look like a chump, and though it's a translation, I get the feeling he's miles ahead as a writer.

The translation does seem to get a lot better for the second and third books, the first one was still a bit stiff. Glad you enjoyed it user.
As for the third book, personally I knew I was in for a wild ride when a Chinese book about future space ayyliums started off with a prologue about the fall of the Byzantine Empire in 1453.

FOUR DAYS, LADS

Yeah.

>(Almost) never a single night because many suns
>Technologically advanced society
>Scientists believe life couldn't survive a pattern of alternating sunlight (day/night)
>What is bottom of the sea
>What is fungus in caverns
Yeah don't read it

Any books about a war in a future ice age with mechs and super soldiers. I want my fix of future wank.

Reading the Mote In God's Eye right now and enjoying it, are the rest of the books in the series worth reading?

If belief shapes reality then physics doesn't hold, because physics is based on the assumption that the governing laws remain the same, at least in a given area and around a given time.

Wait, are there dickgirls in these books or was that just randomly thrown in to contrast it to cucking?

5/5 for mindfuckery and it's an excellently written book. PKD's writing style is very modern and there are some truly fucking hilarious moments like:

>"I'll sue you," the door said as the first screw fell out. Joe Chip said, "I've never been sued by a door. But I guess I can live through it.”

There are strains of Fforde's Shades of Grey in this. In fact I think Fforde borrowed some of the things from his novel from Ubik like the little epigraphs - sometimes humorous - at the start of each chapter but when it gets frightening and mindbending it certainly does.

Another person who borrows quite strongly from PKD's Ubik seems to be Doctor Who's Steven Moffat especially the world created from an individual's mind and certain grotesque 'space saving measures' are employed to sustain the world -
in fact the Library two parter seems to be a direct ripoff.

It's much better than the Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and there are nice little nods to other works of literature that really add to the atmosphere, although definitely nowhere near as many as Palmer's Too Like the Lightning.

Ultimately my thoughts about the end of the novel.
Fucking Pat threw me. I was certain that she was the ultimate antagonist from the moment that she was classed as dangerous by Joe even though he couldn't exactly figure out why but it ended up as Jory. I thought that Jory was just a misunderstood kid. I also believed that Joe created/is Ubik. The reason why I believe this is Runciter apparently helps Joe and so does Ella but since Ubik is self creating and Ella appears to be in a fading state at the start of the novel I strongly believe that Joe created Ubik by himself and that the appearance of these two characters is mostly bleed through in his mind. This is reflected at the end when Joe's features appear on the coin - Ubik to allow Ella and Runciter to communicate and Ubik which created itself. Also at the end of the novel I get the feeling that Joe is the ultimate villain. Jory might have killed but the Ubik snippets make Ubik feel like the true villain. Ubik invades the lives of the characters in this novel through those snippets and throughout the book Joe's life and the life of all his associates is dictated almost entirely by money, at the end of the book his appearance on the coin seems to symbolise his takeover of the system - a cold premonition. Perhaps Runciter is dead but I find it a much more unlikely and boring twist.

I'm going to spoiler this stuff just in case anybody wants to read it.

Abos don't NEED trees to reproduce. Remember, almost the entire planet is abos who don't know they're abos now. They're reproducing without trees as far as we know. I think that the implication is that old abos eventually BECOME trees. Recall the constant references to the state of everybody's legs. Everyone on St Anne (I think that's the one) has legs that eventually go bad, and it seems to affect women more strongly. After giving birth Sandwalker and Eastwind's mother covers her legs with earth in order to regain her strength. I think that there's enough information scattered around to infer that many of the trees of St Anne and Croix are elder abos, only as the humans came and their culture (but not their genetics) became dominant, they all forgot this. Hence, everyone's legs go bad in old age because they forgot that they used to bury their legs in soil and become trees. I don't think that they needed the trees, it's just their life-cycle, changed from the normal human one by living in an alien environment.

As for why it didn't infect everyone No idea on whether the Shadow Children reproduce among themselves or if new abos are just constantly being infected. Pretty sure VRT mentions that his mother told him to avoid certain areas due to the parasites. It seems as though the abos were aware of them and took steps to avoid infection, limiting their spread. And it may well infect more 'humans' than Marsch. It's mentioned that the slaves who work with the parasite's silk tend to have short lifespans. This is most likely on account of the parasite trying to change them but their masters not allowing them to move to an environment which suits Shadow Children, which is reinforced by Marsch's fate. I believe that Marsch is soon to die at the end of the story and that the purpose behind mentioning these slaves is to tell us this. The story is all about the abos' worlds becoming hellish because they don't understand their own nature, so this fits that. Might want to bring this up to Aramini to be sure though.

Have you tried The Book of the New Sun.

I second this.

The book objectivley turns to shit from the moment the bomb goes off (end of the first third). A lot of great ideas which PKD could not bind together other than through dreams, hallucinations and other poorly executed gimmicks. The ending especially is the most forced and pathetic attempt of a mindfuck in the history of modern culture.

>uses pick to play with tumblers in lock

The final twist felt like a tacked on afterthought that not even the author understood but Ubik was PKD's wild ride and never failed to entertain.

Yea if you are looking for a light read I guess its tolerable. But i was highly dissapointed from it especially in light of how common it is praised as some sort of masterpiece of science fiction.

>that pic
Now that I'm older I understand why dbz was such a huge hit. It had people turning into blonde hair, blue eyed beings who were the strongest in the universe. Same shit with naruto. He is blonde and important, so 'those' people can associate with him. This general makes it even clearer that people watch/read things for self-insertment, not for entertainment value. That is why those people cry about certain books, because a character description shows that they are black / tan brown/ w/e, they not pasty white. They cry about PC. As if white is the only colour in the world. If anything Yellow and browne out numbers black and white

>raping charlies daughters in the village.
I googled this slang "Charlie's daughters in Vietnam" and got no hits. What is that about?

>Black Sun Rising
>the audiobookbay torrens is dead too.
>check
>42 seeds
>dead
You are a lazy ignorant cunt. Probably want someone to spoonfeed you, or take the hit for downloading from a torrent. kys