Thanksgiving

What are you cooking for Thanksgiving Day?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html
bonappetit.com/recipe/mashed-potato-casserole-with-smoked-gouda-and-bacon
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I am not American and I have nothing to give thanks for since I hate my existence. Fuck off, bird fucker.

Chillax man, I’m just in on thanksgiving for the good food.

>cook
I'll probably just buy some Costco pizza

Traditional for 15 people.

I prefer Sam’s Club pizza even though I’m a Costco member, but that’s just because I love meat lover’s pizza..

What’s traditional for 15 people?

Probably a pumpkin pie and some very traditional spicy cabbage pancakes for dinner with my friends this weekend. On the actual day whatever my mom will let me in the kitchen to make.

Wheatcakes.

What are spicy cabbage pancakes? Like kimchi pancakes? Sounds good

I did the deviled eggs the last two Thanksgivings. They were gone. My brothers and I do most of the cooking after my mom moved to FL with her new dipshit asshole husband. He even made her give up her dog.

Are you brining your turkey? And do you do that thing where you put herbed butter in between the skin and the meat of the turkey?

Feels bad man.. :-( poor doggo
What do you put in your deviled eggs

I buy it pre brined. I just don’t have a pot big enough.

Yes I put herbs butter balls under the skin and rub it on the skin too

I'm not. My mom cooks Thanksgiving at her place and refuses to let any one else cook any part of the meal.

Ya basically, I don't have decent kimchi but I'm going to use chili paste and regular shredded cabbage instead

Are you me? My mom recently left my dad for some shithead in Florida.
Fuck Florida, man.

Do you baste or is that just a meme?
I might try to inject this year..

Where’s the fun in that? What a Debbie downer..

Turkey, rotisseried on the grill, rubbed 48 hours before with a compound butter, under the skin, inside th e cavity, and outside, basted occasionally with a mixture of drippings and champagne (I use whatever champagne is left from the mimosas from the morning)
Stuffing - traditional, but I use a mixture of sourdough and french bread
Gravy made from the drippings and extra turkey stock I make ahead of time
Cranberry sauce, homemade
Baked Mashed Potatoes (everyone always eats the shit out of these, so I make them every year, but imo they're getting boring).
Green bean casserole, from scratch, no canned bullshit
Roasted asparagus
Baked sweet potatoes stuffed with a little butter, caramelized onions, s&p, and parmesan cheese
Creamed turnips
Green salad
Yeast rolls, from scratch
Relish tray
Pies (made a couple of days ahead) - pumpkin, bourbon pecan, apple cream
Wine, iced tea, mimosas, coffee, cocktails, beer, whatever people want to drink.

How many people do you have come over?

Sounds like a standard Veeky Forums meal for one to me.

I keep it simple. Do not over cook the egga and salt the yokes well. A bit of good mayo and cheapish mustard to taste. Bit of dilly but not enough it over powers every thing else. I still want to taste the yokes.

I'm not American so i don't celebrate thanksgiving but i was thinking of making a traditional thanksgiving dinner one of these days just for fun. Stuffed turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy and maybe an apple pie for dessert.

Usually about 15-20, depending on if they bring a friend or bf/gf

Try making pumpkin pie - super good...
I don’t stuff my turkey with stuffing because I’m all scared about the bacteria. So I cook the stuffing (“dressing”) on the side. And I stuff my turkey with onions and herbs and stuff..

I just bought a smoker. what should i do to smoke a bird?

Brine, dry rub, and use a mix of apple and oak woods.

the meal he is cooking i assume.

Does the champagne really work well with the turkey?

Yeah it does. I first used it years ago after I watched a Martha Stewart turkey episode, where she put a cheesecloth that had been soaked in champagne and butter over the turkey breast while it roasted to keep it moist. You baste every once in awhile to keep the cheesecloth soaked, and take it off the last 30-45 minutes so it can brown.
Anyway, it turned out really tasty and moist, so that's how I made my turkey until a few years ago when I bought the rotisserie. But I still baste with champagne and drippings. Delicious.
And it works out, because we always have some leftover champagne in the bottles after people have had their mimosas, so that way it doesn't go to waste.

Hurricane state, bye bye family

A 'Heritage Turkey' from somewhere in Kansas;

Classic.

Turkey breast (Pioneer Woman's apple cider brine)
Ham (mustard/molasses glaze)
Garlic mashed potatoes
Gravy from Whole Foods
Cornbread
Mirliton stuffing (Emeril recipe, with cornbread instead of breadcrumbs)
Green bean casserole from scratch
Cranberry sauce with orange and cardamom
Dutch apple pie
Pumpkin/chocolate cheesecake

Yeah, i want to help, by she considers it her chance to provide for the family. She and my grandparents grew up poor, and while i was young we were poor, but she managed to get us up into middle class; it's sorta a pride thing i think.

probably 5 guys on the day before for celebrating. Then just sit around and watch football and parades the day of.

I save the celebrations for Christmas then we break out the festivities.

Please read the following before brining your turkey with vinegar:
seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

>jocks and nerds metaphor
Holy shit did he rip off a Good Eats episode?

Costgo's pizza is overrated garbage. The smell is better than the taste. Kill yourself.

Nobody having turkey. Degenerates.

wangz and beer

for the price, it tastes damn good, it tastes just as good as top tier frozen pizza

it's not the greatest, but it's wwwaaayyy better than papa juan's, pizza hut, or dominos

I've used the recipe in the past and haven't noticed any issues (though, maybe I don't know what I'm missing). It uses apple juice/cider, not vinegar, so it isn't extremely acidic.

My mom always makes this awesome green bean casserole. It's one of my favorite dishes in the world because it encapsulates a lot of the aspects of American food history.

Typically green bean casserole is made using canned cream of mushroom soup, canned beans and store-bought "fried shallots."

But mom flips this whole idea on its head. She preps fresh green beans, makes a delicious mushroom gravy from scratch, then adds freshly fried breaded shallots for garnish before baking.

Americans were initially fascinated by the debut of canned food products (such as the canned ham). Dishes like Green Bean Casserole and Watergate Salad developed as marketing ploys by food processing companies, but eventually gained canonical status in the national Thanksgiving Seder.

Now, in this late era, many are beginning to rediscover fresh ingredients. Thus mom's green bean casserole sits at the intersection of old and new, speaking to both the best and worst of Americana simultaneously, and while being delicious too.

sorry for the blogpost but I get carried away sometimes. I just really love my mom's green bean casserole.

Green bean casserole is fucking great. We started making it from scratch instead of from a can years ago and never looked back. We also make two huge batches because everyone wants leftovers for a couple days.

Korean style fried chicken and pork belly.

Does anyone love the relish tray as much as the other dishes? I literally can't have a holiday meal without one. Pic related, but not a very good one, just the first random pic I found.

What do you put on yours? I add gherkins, baby dill pickles, cherry tomatoes, "breakfast" radishes, celery stuffed with chive and herb spreadable cheese, peppadews stuffed with feta, a variety of olives, pickled okra, snap peas, and deviled eggs. I have a glass platter that has a relish tray in the center, with deviled egg holders around the outside, so it's perfect.

Fuck, forgot the pic. Oh well, you know what a relish tray is.

>gherkins, baby dill pickles

You, sir or ma'am, have similar taste as mine.

Very nice. I love everything at Thanksgiving, but it wouldn't be right without the beloved relish tray. I think it goes back to childhood, I remember sneaking stuff off the tray before dinner, when I could barely see over the table.

my man

I'm SO FUCKING GLAD that people have finally have ditched the cans and are making this from scratch. When you do, it's like an entirely different dish. I used to be in charge of this dish at a little 15 table restaurant I worked at years ago, and we did a full Thanksgiving Dinner that would be booked up months in advance. Having only 15 tables, it was just the owner and I doing all the cooking. Anyway, I used to have people stop me on the street and ask for the recipe, which I couldn't give out because my boss would have killed me. Anyway, I'm happy to see this, and I will be making it too, for my own family.

Recipe pls?

What should I cook for one?

A small turkey breast, gravy, boxed stuffing, mashed potatoes, asparagus, and buy yourself a couple of yeast rolls and a piece of pie from somewhere. It enough that you'll have leftovers for a few meals.
OR
buy some turkey thigh or breast meat, cook it gently, and make yorselfva Badass Turkey Pot Pie.

That sounds ok although I don't have a microwave so reheating leftovers is a bit annoying

Stuffing is the only recipe I have that I've modified and turned into "user's stuffing" so when I bring it to the family gathering they really look forward to it. Not this year though, just me and my dad.

So does anyone have a definitive mashed potato and gravy recipe? He's handling the turkey and I'll be cooking stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, and gravy. Are homemade rolls worth it in anyone's experience?

>bone-in turkey breast in crock pot
>basic gravy made from drippings
>mashed sweet potatoes
>some kind of vegetable casserole, haven't decided if i'll do green bean or something with brussels sprouts
>homemade buttery yeast rolls
>cranberry sauce, i do 50/50 homemade and the canned stuff
>cast iron apple pie

i also want to do stuffing but i've never made it before (other than the boxed stuff). i might try a test run this weekend to see if i can pull it off.

Stuffing is relatively simple, and really easy to modify. I like a cornbread/sausage stuffing, but there's options out the whazoo and homemade is fanfucktastic.

Be humble son, you can always be inca worse situation and at least you have internet.

It's kinda like soggy bread that can be cooked inside the animal or using its juices. My family loves making it from stock made from organ meat and neck, as well as the juices from the roast later. Egg, herbs, etc added later of course.

Sounds super good. Mushroom gravy from scratch... I never even had green bean casserole, but I might make it this year. Thanks user

This is the worst kind of stuffing.

Good stuffing is basically well seasoned, butter soaked toast. Its much better than that garbage people put inside the bird

How do you make your stuffing?

small dinner this year.
garlic butter herb breast
bacon and smoked gouda mashed potatoes
sausage and cornbread stuffing
tons of veggies probably roasted
yeast rolls from scratch

Please tell me about these bacon and smoked Gouda mashed potatoes, they sound wonderful

making them for the first time this year so i cant give you a review yet but im excited to try it.

bonappetit.com/recipe/mashed-potato-casserole-with-smoked-gouda-and-bacon

Smoked turkey and baked mac n cheese is what I'm cooking for the family . Also will help my mom make some sushi.

How do you smoke your turkey?

my mommy is gonna make a potroast since the 10 pound small turkey vons sells is too big for three people

drop me some knowledge on your spice game my niggs