Pierre Boutang

Why aren't you reading the best XXth century French philosopher ?

>Catholic and monarchist
>agregated in philosophy at 23
>liked Aquinas a lot
>translated and commented Plato, Dante, Blake, Poe, Chesterton
>BTFO the fuck out of Sartre in one of his book
>BRFOed Deleuze & Guattari in an other one
>liked to do arm wrestling while quoting Plato, Dante, Pound
>banned from the education system in France until he was 51 because he insulted de Gaulle
>Lacan, Deleuze and all the clique were butthurt as fuck because he got the Metaphysics chair in la Sorbonne
>destroyed Hegel with Vico
>said that Wilde is a disgusting fag
>fucked a lot of hoes
>liked Proudhon, Pareto, Sorel and Sowell
>father of the guy who made the documentary "Deleuze from A to Z"

And so on...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uTshvNiADGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gVWAmEOjDF8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

seems patrician but i'm monolingual pleb

What should I start with? I can read french

Les Abeilles de Delphes / La Source Sacrée is great for literary critic and as an introduction to his oeuvre since it also contains texts on theology and political thinkers ;

Sartre est-il un possédé ? is a small yet very good pamphlet against the sartrian thought ;

If you understang French, I'd suggest you to also watch this presentation of a memoirs book by one of his students
youtube.com/watch?v=uTshvNiADGQ

But also this dialogue between Boutang and Steiner on the myth of Antigone
youtube.com/watch?v=gVWAmEOjDF8

Cheers, I get the feeling 90% of Catholic/Right wing french philosophers are obscured to the English speaking world. If there's anyone else you could recommend I would be grateful

Really underrated, indeed. Hopefully, he'll be rediscovered once the academia forgets about hacks like Deleuze, Foucault and Derrida.

>catholic
I'm in
>and monarchist
I'm out

>Catholic and monarchist
Interesting. What about monarchy that he values over other political systems, especially in the 20th century?

>agregated in philosophy at 23
Yeah. So what?

>liked Aquinas a lot
I expect theologicians to like Aquinas a lot. It would be strange if it was the contrary.

>translated and commented Plato, Dante, Blake, Poe, Chesterton
Cool. Probably not the authorative translations of those texts though.

>BTFO the fuck out of Sartre in one of his book
>BRFOed Deleuze & Guattari in an other one
Hmm... can you summarize his arguments for us? Because without that there's no point asserting that.

>liked to do arm wrestling while quoting Plato, Dante, Pound
>banned from the education system in France until he was 51 because he insulted de Gaulle
Sounds like a character of a comedy I was reading earlier. There was a girl that liked to quote Pound while her ass was being eaten too.

It's boring me...

Y so picky?

its only fitting when op is portraying him as a quasi-mythical figure.

Rene Girard is better. Who also BTFO'd Deleuze and Guattari. Who also completes Hegel.

I read a bit of Boutang and don't get the hype.

> insulting de Gaulle
> good

Boutang seems like a bit of a meme. Just like Charles Maurras, known atheist.

What is the language you speak?

I'd say the best thing would be to check the names of journalists that wrote for l'Action Française, La Nation Française and for Aspects de la France, and try to see if they also wrote books (it's usually the case).

As for catholicism, Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange, Jacques Maritain (pre-1926), Mgr Lefebvre, Jean Madiran, Marcel De Corte and also Jean Ousset that is severely underrated are great.

probably anglo

The french are incapable of having any real convictions, it's all about LARPing as monarchists, stalinists, catholics or nihilist pomo edgelords, but they never mean a word of what they say.

Oh gosh I suddenly love this man.

can somebody translate the central meaning of ontologie du secret plz

asking for a brainlet

Why do I doubt that Deleuze and Guattari are nearly as "BTFO'd" as some of you claim?

>catholic and monarchist
So he's just an escapist then?

Let's just hope that he gets translated. Here's the presentation of the book in which he treats the Deleuze&Guattari problem.

As he approaches the debris of desire, the author hears the galloping hooves of the four horses in the Revelation of St John. His reaction is not despair; just as St John’s text does not end in disaster. But before continuing, there is some rubble to clear away. In metaphysics, to clear away is to recognize, to invite others to recognize. Consequently the author reveals the deadly effects of the idealism of the ‘Enlightenment’, of psychoanalysis, of Deleuze’s ‘desire machines’. After demonstrating how desire was ‘unmasked’ during three centuries of theoretical and practical error, the author establishes, or re-establishes, a free will whose tragedy and glory was understood only by Christianity. Assembling the Fathers of the Church and modern thinkers such as Kierkegaard (and even, on rare points of convergence, Heidegger), he designates the hope, fundamental and constitutive, of all desire. Built on faith in the Christian revelation and the specifically Catholic idea of man in God’s image, he brings us a philosophy which permits man who has recognized his supernatural origin to access authentic release.

Also, do you know a publisher that could be interested in a translation of his book destroying Sartre ?

>monarchist

Even dumber than being an ancap

Well, I know that it's difficult to understand for most Americans since they don't have any history but it can be understandable when you're from a real country.

Whats with the the french always treating philosophers like fucking rock stars? Seems to me that french philosophy is more art than properly structured thought and analysis.

I just made the thread that way to try to get people watch the thread. I personally don't really care about his private life but since his thought is practically unknown in France due to post-68 destruction of Education, and even less in foreign countries since he's never been translated, trying to get clicks by presenting him as a cool guy could lead to some people in reading his philosophy.

Thing is that, it will need some translation.
I'll try to do it for his "Is Sartre possessed ?" since it's short and witty.

Okay, fair enough. "This guy btfo X" and similar just always trigger me fucking hard so you might actually be hurting your efforts with some people.

But they are have too much in common.
Also links in english please.

Oh yes, please tell me of your great plans to establish a monarchy in France