/Whisky/ General

Here, we will discuss whisky and why it is the best drink.
Here, we welcome
>brands
>flavors
>cocktails
>price
>drinking vessels
>bourbon vs scotch
>blended vs single malt
>whisky vs whiskey

This is not an Al/ck/oholic thread.

What are you drinking tonight, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

ghostbin.com/paste/nkr9v
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

aweome. another general that's relevant to my interests.

sadly no whiskey for me tonight, just bought 15 bottles of wine.

...tomorrow however, I'll be having another glass of Kikori.

I had some Clyde May's 92 proof not too long ago and it was very good, pretty smooth straight.

recommend me a whiskey that is from a region outside of the usual areas you expect (usa bourbon or scotch)

If you can find Sullivan's Cove from Tasmania, you're in for a treat.

>that price
must be pretty fucking awesome

Just tried Monkey Shoulder for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.

Bar near my house got a bunch of pappy van winkle today apparently and the place was packed out. I've only had it once when the bartender I see alot gave me a shot of it for free.

It tasted the same as any other bourbon I've had desu

There's another whisky thread up, but your formatting is way better.
That being said I like to drink Dewarr's white label with an ice cube or two and a splash of diet coke. I'm aware I'm uncivilised and poor.

Oh, I didn't see it. That's what I get for skimming the catalog lmao. I guess we'll see which thread prevails lol

I truly don't believe there's a right or wrong way to drink whisky. If you like it, you're drinking it right.

At this point, I think the people that praise pappys are 100% bullshiting with their "superior" palettes.

Caol Ila 12 year Islay, just a little bit of salt and smoke. Good stuff.

Rebecca Creek

Delicious af, just about finished with the bottle. Already decided on a dank Four Roses next:)

shall i get this or the rye? i've never tried either

The 10 year rye is a lot better desu.

Rate my whisky stash.

>Famous Grouse
I am very disappointed in you user.

I drink it if I'm drunk already or if guests want a mixer.
Its not that bad, I find it better than Johnnie walker, chivas, monkey shoulder, label 5.

bulleit tastes like ass

lots of birds

Oh nice I'm glad someone wants to make a general out of this, sadly I've been sticking to plebbit cause I never seen good whisky threads often enough here.
If need be I can make some pastebins/ghostbins for guides into scotch/bourbon/Canadian whisky/etc. As I have experience reviewing whisky critically and have tried over 200 bottles personally
Pappy is mostly marketing. However I would probably buy a bottle of Old Rip if i could find one for under $80 cause it's pretty fucking nice.
If you get Four Roses try the Single Barrel or at least the Small Batch

Just bought Balvenie 12 year. Any other user tried it before?

>just bought 15 bottles of wine
Are you French or a single woman over the age of 30?

I think i must just have a shit pallate because scotch all just tastes the same to me. Except for certain heavy peat brands obviosuly.

It's boring desu. Should've gone with Glendronach.
There's lots of rich guys buying nice red wine, why do you care?

wine club deal. it was legit

>if I enjoy a beverage that isn't on this list, I might get evicted from my mega-church
Flyover life must be misery

Bought this stuff.

I had low expectations to begin with, but this was undrinkable.

you know it's specifically marketed as a mixer right?

Made a beginners guide for bourbon, rye and scotch. Maybe a good OP resource:

ghostbin.com/paste/nkr9v

Shit tier whiskey though
Mix it up with some soda

Pretty aware, maybe i just mixed it with something that doesnt fit or i just used to much of it.
What'd you guys recommend i try it with?
Don't wanna throw the bottle away.

ginger ale or coke maybe?

Not too much of a coke fan, ginger ale sounds interesting though, gonna try that one, thanks

Is it?
Whenever i see that on offer somewhere, it's just marketed as Jonny walker, on their gentlemen and hunting image or as something sopisticated and "premium", if I remember correctly, but nowhere is it indicated that you can not drink it straight.
but yeah, its utter shit.
Bought a bottle once, because I wanted a bottle of cheap, but not terribly cheap whiskey to take with me on a festival, and i figured that should do the trick, because unlike some no-name cheap whiskey, they'd probably have a reputation to uphold.
Boy, was I wrong.
We tried that shit once and then went for the cans of beer we had drunkenly left laying in the sun. 40° beer > Johnny walker.

you can drink anything straight and enjoy it if that's your thing. I'm sure there's people out there that drink triple sec neat, but yeah, red is pretty much only good to provide a vague whiskey flavor and kick to an otherwise sweet drink

>wild turk

Not my style but whatever. 10/10 for presentation though. Drives me crazy when I see pics of a collection stored on the counter or something.

Based. Theres a 7/$70 deal at my local winery sometimes, it's a great way to try new shit.

OP here, I've bookmarked your link and I'll think about it for the next thread. Thanks bruh.

bunnahabhain is underated.
grouse is one of the best shit-tier whisky
eagle rare is pukka
glenfarclas 105 isn't the greatest of the range

don't know about the others

7.9/10

black bottle is a blend which has been reformulated and tastes alot like a poor mans bunnahabhain. couple of quid more than famous grouse

few years ago..had a nice sherry touch...dried apricots, dates and raisins. they've upped the price rather than back down on sherry casks, so it should still be good

bellend. JW green is good and used to be cheap tho

>tfw stepdad is friends with the Bulleit family and gets this stuff for free all the time
Feels good lads

This shit is legitimately good. Worth a go if you get the chance. Not sure I would buy a whole bottle though.

Also they need to fire their bottle designer. It looks like a cheap blend.

Rate mine. Most of these are gone now, unfortunately.

It's ok. Didn't really do anything for me.

>I'm his wife's son
Nice one.

>Also they need to fire their bottle designer. It looks like a cheap blend.

would make it more expensive.

indians make good whisky

Is Glenmorangie 10 worth a buy?
How does it compare to Glenlivet 12?

>geodes
>dead cow
>middle school tier science books

Pretentious/10

Good selection tho. Be interesting to know how they all compare to each other.

I'll defend the books by saying that's the shelf with all the stuff I read when I was younger. The rest is pretentious though, you're right.

The Jura Superstition is much better than the Origin, which imo, is a bit bland

Is japanese whiskey any good?

>Is japanese whiskey any good?
Suntory is one of my favorites.

Also I tried crown and sprite for the first time last night after hearing it referenced in a country song. Worked way better than I expected.

yes, but a bit overpriced

I agree actually. I bought the Origin because I was on a trip to Islay (and Jura) and I'd bought a lot of peated stuff already.

These guys won whisky of the year couple years ago.

It's ok, but the people who like it tend to be insufferable.

I really liked it; it's got a lot of bite and flavor. Much better than Glenfiddich at the same price.

Yeah I wouldn't say it was a bad drink, just a little....lacking.

Recently finished my bottles of Monkey Shoulder and Laphroaig 10.

I’m torn between trying Ardbeg 10, talisker 10, and lagavulin 16 (I know it’s a meme but it’s been recommended to me dozens of times)

Anyone want to steer me toward their tastes? I loved Laphroaig 10 dearly and for the price, Monkey Shoulder was fantastic.

Glenmorangie > Glenlivet > Glenfiddich is where I'm at rn to answer your original question

Lagavulin isn't a meme.

So are you telling me it’s worth double the price of Laphroaig 10? In my area of burgerland it’s $100

Lagavulin is amazing. yes it's meme-y but the flavor makes it worth it. try it at a whiskey bar if you have your doubts

I'd say the Ardbeg and Lagavulin are superior to the Talisker, but between those two it depends, the Ardbeg is a bit more medicinal than the Lagavulin to my taste, but if you really liked the Laphroaig that might be exactly what you're looking for.

Awesome thanks you user. I'm gonna buy a bottle

No problem; hopefully someone can add for Japanese, Irish and other national whiskies

Yes

Well value is a tricky thing. I'd say it's value is as much as you're willing to pay.

6.5/10. would not recomend

Current collection

>Glendronach 15
>Dalwhinnie 15(
>Glenmorangie Original
>Glenmorangie Lasanta
>Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
>Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack
>Buffalo Trace

I've not drank any for quite a while though. Mostly been drinking spiced rum.

Try Glendronach 21 when you get a chance, shit is fantastic

Throw me some names desu.

Just gettign into my bottle of Oban Distillers Edition

Pretty good lads, nice and balanced

Last few years Amazon have had some decent whiskey offers on Black Friday. Will wait and see what comes along.

>import

I like the rye, personally. The original has a sweeter taste imho

So I was looking at the wines available and I was really surprised how cheap they were compared to whiskey.
How come wine is so cheap?

cheapest japanese whiskey I ever ran into is Mars Iwai. Their tradition line has a 75% malt and 25% corn blend and a cheaper version inverts the ratio. I haven't tried the corn version but the malt version was nice.

It doesn't have to be aged for three years at least and isn't taxed to oblivion.

How many drinks do you get out of wine compared to a same sized bottle of whisky? There's your answer

Production cycle is shorter for the most part (obviously ignoring stuff like sherry or wineries that cellar their stuff for several years)

There's also a surplus of wine grapes in Europe (also in general, this year was bad), and a lot of it gets bought off and turned into industrial ethanol to keep the industry from crashing completely. So the lower bound of prices is basically as low as politically sustainable, it could even be lower

It's only expensive if you insist that your life is not complete unless you have had a wine from some extremely specific patch of land in the cote de nuits

Obviously, retarded memesters who live their lives gripped in fear of trying anything new aren't going to be able to find the good wines that aren't crazy expensive, so they either drink swill (aussie wine, lodi wine, etc) or they just get angry whenever wine comes up in conversation

>Buddy brings over a bottle of Jameson to my house on the fringe of his own personal Whisky adventure.

"TRY IT"
>...This tastes like dogshit, dude.
"I'm sure it's an aquired taste."
How do you fucks drink this shit?

We don't, Irish whiskey is terrible

What's the preferred whisky of a grizzled American cowboy who's only in town to kill a man?

Weller

Meme bourbon like Jim beam or Daniels.

Alright I'm back from the ABC. How bad did I fuck up?

Ardbeg is the best whiskey of all time.
FACT.

Russels is pretty good actually you did good

Pretty nice collection, I'd have a dram with you for sure.

SUCCESS

I rather like the flavor of it. I'm a whiskey noob. It tastes like a caramel tree laced with warm hugs.

Being a wannabe whisky aficionado is tough in Canada. All the brands Americans take for granted as middle-of-the-road or even bottom shelf are bumped up by at least ten bucks because they're imported. Anything that's not implicitly shit meant to be drowned in cola really breaks the bank.

Yeah but you lucky fucks get cheap crown royal...

Anybody here have any experience with mixing whisky with coffee? I'm interested in trying new things.

I tried doing "Irish coffee" with cheap scotch once. It was pretty bad, but I think Irish whiskey would have worked better. It definitely warms you up though.

Did you have it hot or iced?

I had it hot.

Almost every source says I should make it with Jameson. I'll buy a bottle and some whipping cream next time I'm at the store. Thanks desu.