Is questioning reality bad for mental health?

Is questioning reality bad for mental health?

Other urls found in this thread:

well.com/~jct/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sometimes?

Sure, if you let it become bad for your mental health. Sometimes you need it to overcome a hurdle in your life.

However, dwelling on existentialist bullshit is not healthy and will always raise more questions than it answers until you are capable of accepting life and all of it's ups and downs as it is in all of its possibilities whatever they may be.

Also Descartes was full of shit.

WHEN I was little, I could not tell whether life was a dream.

When I was older, I majored in Philosophy at a prestigious university.

Now I am poor, jobless, a little bit gay, and no closer to a solution.

no but posting on Veeky Forums will

It can be a symptom at least. Some psychotics in catatonic states start believing that everything and especially everyone around them isn't real so that reveals something about how the mind handles alterity. That is to say, it is more than a cartesian abstract exercise and has practical consequences when theorized.

>Also Descartes was full of shit.
why you think so? It should be other way, as he promoted accepting only things that are clear and obvious

That's because there has been nothing new or worthwhile philosophically since the Greeks. Since then all philosophy and existentialism has been a product of the times (and market).

Let Apple ® sell you your new life crisis.

Life will never be clear and obvious and the only thing every constant about life, self, and existence is they are in a constant state of flux.

Just because you think does not mean you are.

It makes you open minded. But if you aren't ambitious, having an open mind in this society just makes you a cuck to those who accept their baseline reality and seize control.

life may not be but right triangle is

>mental health
Mental health is a meme. Read R.D. Laing. If you're not convinced, go see a modern-day psychologist/psychiatrist and see how they meme you into prescriptions.

>Is questioning reality bad?
Sometimes. Don't just do it for fun. Do it if there's some thorn in your paw that you can only get out by digging a bit deeper.

I'd say yes, in general. Being open minded about things often leads to the frustration of not having an answer to most questions. Eventually though, you might settle for not having a definite answer, but rather some good ones, and then it's better than being close minded. That's how I'd put it in simple start-with-the-greek terms at least. The only thing to look out for though, is that there is no easy way back: once you ask the first question, you open the box of pandora, and nothing's gonna close it.

Not the OP but I'd like to question (lol) the second point. Sometimes the quest for knowing more, or at least for thinking more about things, becomes an end in itself. Not in the sense of doing it for fun, but out of raw compulsion ("can't help myself", "I just do it", etc.). Do you really believe curiosity is an explicit and conscious choice or did I get it wrong?

>once you ask the first question, you open the box of pandora, and nothing's gonna close it.

Bullshit, embrace it and accept it. Eventually you'll stop asking questions because you'll realize that you never needed to in the first place.

>Implying you don't make questions because you already have the answers.

Yeah, kinda what this guy said Yes, once started you find yourself down a steep slope which is impossible to turn back up once started. But life is a sharp alpine ridge littered with obstacles dropping into a valley which slowly levels out by its end. Where most people find themselves taking the beginner slopes, you've careened yourself down the advanced. And what happens through all the struggles you will endure much quicker than most is that you will reach the bottom quicker and with greater skills and perception of your surroundings. From here, since time and age are convoluted as a pair, you will get to enjoy the easy ride while the rest of the world catches up to you by the finish line--nobody wins. But you'll have found your place and enjoyed the ride where most just were along for the ride. You've just got to get past the slope first.

Well said

This is an interesting question. I don't have the time to discuss it properly with you because I'm headed off to work. Short answer:
>Curiosity is it's own thorn.
Yes, you have to address your curiosity, but it's important not to let curiosity blindly compel you (speaking as someone who has wasted many years doing just that). Follow your curiosity, but also understand from where it comes. If you do this properly and faithfully, you'll realize that suddenly you have explicit arguments rather than a vague notions of curiosity compelling you.

Thanks for the answer, I think I do get where this is going.

love it

Ug is so based
Is there a point in reading anything else

Absolutely. I've been in fear of mortality since few years ago and I've developed severe depression, apathy and anhedonia.

Reading Jiddu so you can read UG rekk him over and over again.

>is questioning bad for mental health
>is exercise bad for your muscles
define muscularity

pic is a pic

yes, it's the very worst

in fact it's the definition of mental illness

go back to work, slave

I have noticed that when I question the existence of knowledge or truth, I tend to get a terrible headache.

No sickness or disease can afflict my body because they are not real

Same goes for illness of the mind, since I truly am the only thing in existence no thing that could negatively impact my mind can be

>Krishnamurti was known for his unusual health and diet preferences.[17] Carrying with him a "portable kitchen" in a tiny suitcase throughout his travels, he consumed a great deal of salt and cream, and stated "no meal should take longer than a few minutes to prepare." Throughout his life, Krishnamurti never saw a doctor or took medication, believing the body would take care of itself. Often complimented for good looks in his old age, Krishnamurti would respond "that's because I don't eat healthy food, I don't take vitamins, and I don't exercise!"[17]
interesting. How to get into pajeet philosophy?

It's more like questinioning and logic are lifting. You need the proper cardio / contemplation to go along with it if you want an actually fit body/mind.

You don't. There's really nothing to "get" from him other than for you than to come to terms with that. According to himself evrything weird that UG was was all an accident. You can go listen to his conversations on youtube or read them on a book. Just don't pay for them because he left them in public dominion.

well.com/~jct/

He assumed god existing was clear and obvious

because it is. How would you come with idea of perfect entity (God), if not God himself gave this idea to you?

Questioning reality pushes you towards the brink of insanity while questioning questioning reality is what prevents you from teetering off the edge.

nice user

Yes. But capitulation is even worse and is laden with a different set of mind-squashing problems, i.e. if one thinks at all.