Thoughts on Sam Harris as a writer/author?

Thoughts on Sam Harris as a writer/author?

Other urls found in this thread:

samharris.org/blog/item/the-limits-of-discourse
partnersinthoughtcrime.com/the-sam-harris-argument-for-idealism-and-god/
youtube.com/watch?v=ENtlW-LEqu8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

athiest jew who makes a career of attacking jesus christ

I think the Romans pretty much attacked Jesus Christ to death.

I think he might be literally autistic.

samharris.org/blog/item/the-limits-of-discourse

Is there any other kind? Seriously, jewish "thinkers" and writers like Harris are cultural poison, and I'm saying that as a non-Christian. White people should avoid these semitic charlatans.

He claims to be an Atheist when he is clearly a Zionist.

Peterson dismantled him and all of his postmodern ideology in his own podcast

Sam Harris is physically unable to quit moralising. That's all he does besides appeals to his own fetishised rationality

>Nevertheless, many people are now convinced that the attacks of September 11 say little about Islam and much about the sordid career of the West—in particular, about the failures of U.S. foreign policy. The French philosopher Jean Baudrillard gives these themes an especially luxuriant expression, declaring that terrorism is a necessary consequence of American “hegemony.” He goes so far as to suggest that we were secretly hoping that such devastation would be visited upon us:

>At a pinch we can say that they did it, but we wished for it. . . . When global power monopolizes the situation to this extent, when there is such a formidable condensation of all functions in the technocratic machinery, and when no alternative form of thinking is allowed, what other way is there but a terroristic situational transfer. It was the system itself which created the objective conditions for this brutal retaliation. . . . This is terror against terror—there is no longer any ideology behind it. We are far beyond ideology and politics now. . . . As if the power bearing these towers suddenly lost all energy, all resilience; as though that arrogant power suddenly gave way under the pressure of too intense an effort: the effort always to be the unique world model.40

>If one were feeling charitable, one might assume that something essential to these profundities got lost in translation. I think it far more likely, however, that it did not survive translation into French. If Baudrillard had been obliged to live in Afghanistan under the Taliban, would he have thought that the horrible abridgments of his freedom were a matter of the United States’s “effort always to be the unique world model”? Would the peculiar halftime entertainment at every soccer match—where suspected fornicators, adulterers, and thieves were regularly butchered in the dirt at centerfield—have struck him as the first rumblings of a “terroristic situational transfer”? We may be beyond politics, but we are not in the least “beyond ideology” now. Ideology is all that our enemies have.41

sam is modernist, peterson is actually extremely pomo

both are pseuds whomst only a redditor would dare take seriously

I'll never read his works because all he's known for is tackling low hanging fruit.

Why does he deserve anyone's time?

I think he's a shit
But
I did see a video of his on BigThink about the Ego as an Illusion or whatever and I liked that

You never know with these people.
Take Salman Rushdie. He has valid insights into Islam and literature as such, but he's still immaterial as a thinker and his writing is garbage

The Jews basically asked for it though. Pilate didn't want anything to do with it before the Pharisees intervened.

"Hey Reddit, pay attention to ME."

He's one of those people who are worth listening to even though you disagree with them 50% of the time. Sort of like Zizek.

Voice of a generation, rehabilitated meta-ethics and made it as interesting as it's been in a century.

He's actually not that bad of a writer. The opening scene in The End of Faith where he tells a fictional story of a suicide bomber's life from the moment he decides to blow himself up, to the aftermath of the act, is actually pretty well written tbqh.

Yeah it's true those Jews killed Jesus but I'm not really paranoid by all Jews like...there are plenty of white people at the bohemian grove meetings but then you have guys like Nixon who saw it for the evil faggotry it really is.

He doesn't. His whole career is built on his parent's money, he is worthless in his own right.

Accidentally argues for the existence of God. As I argue here:

partnersinthoughtcrime.com/the-sam-harris-argument-for-idealism-and-god/

I haven't read that much of his works but I've listened to him talk well enough to know he has a very soothing and charming voice. I'd rather get my ass handed to by him than Dawkins or Hitchens.

This is whats wrong with Sam Harris. Keep in mind that this is after he wrote a book about Christianity, a time where you could reasonably expect somebody to do some basic research.

youtube.com/watch?v=ENtlW-LEqu8

He's better as a podcaster/debater/sophist on current issues.
He lacks the intellectual depth required to create timeless literature.

He looks like Ben Stiller. Need I say more?

This guy is such a pain in the ass to listen to. Get to the point and cut out the ironic smugness.

He's clearly highly intelligent and knowledgeable.

He's like, soo 2007