Itt: Bookshelf Thread

You know the drill, post yer shelf. Rec, r8, depcrec8.

it's trash, i know.

cool. a guy came into my house the other day and i was in my robe and he just looked at my bookshelves for like 10 minutes

did you fuck?

oh that was that time i came in your sisters whore mouth then in your mom and choke slapped her while you watched

i don't have a mother, nor do i have a sister. i am an entity without beginning. in practical terms, did you fuck the guy?

Top shelf is my to be read pile. Lately I've been reading more modern philosophy, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Prob need some more rationalist/empiricist lit and whatever else I should read before I get into german idealism, then where to go after kant and hegel. Been reading marx and foucault lately, would like recs for more communist/marxist/postmodern/poststructuralist stuff. Also getting into psychoanalysis/psychology, really like Jung but not so much Freud but I want to read more of him to the extant that he's relevant. Would also like to start reading some eastern thought, I have a general idea of what to read for confucianism, buddhism, hinduism, but if you're knowledgable about that stuff some pointers would be appreciated. Some general modern literature would be nice too, thanks people

>Oxford Shakespeare
Gross

Did you read all those books on your shelves? Looks like most of the spines are in mint condition.

Why does everyone on Veeky Forums treat their books so poorly? It's not even difficult to have your books look fine after reading them.

seeing this many hardbacks consecutively is physically painful for me for some reason

You definitely have not read at least 3/4 of those.

Which version would you recommend?
95% of the books on my shelf are read. I'm a bit autistic about taking care of my books, though it's not that hard to not crease the spine.

so, you haven't read them. why is this shit so hard for people to admit?

>Which version would you recommend?
I personally generally like to get individual plays from Folger, and I don't necessarily have a recommendation for a complete works.

I just don't like the versions of the texts that Oxford uses in their printings.

>t. includes pamphlets in his goodreads goal

Patrician as fuck. Hats off to you.

I'm sorry that you're physically incapable of reading a book without opening it 270 degrees.

you're gonna love this.

Roast me, ledditu

nggggghhhh

Ayyy, white noise

Uno

Dos

Wish the photo quality on these weren't so shitty, but anyways how are those Shelby Foote civil war books? My dad's really into the civil war, got him grant and sherman's memoirs which he really enjoyed and I'm wondering if I should get him these. Also what's that post war book about and how is it? How about to hell and back?

They're wonderful, I consider them the definitive works on the subject.

Well basically the two sides Descartes>Spinoza>Leibniz/Berkeley>Locke>Hume. You can read all their works but you can also just read their most seminal work.
For Freud get The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud. Read his introductory lectures, new introductory lectures, then his case studies, especially Anna O. Then you can read his other stuff like Melancholia and Mourning and whatever I suppose.
For Confucianism read Tao Te Ching and the Annalects. You could read later philosophers but they aren't really that interesting, tbqh imo.
Depending on if you want Theravada (Pali) or Mahayana (Sanskrit), there's different stuff to read. I prefer Mahayana so I'll just rec some from them. There's a lot of Buddhist scripture but you can just read the most famous ones like diamond sutra, heart sutra, lotus sutra.

How is that book? I was just looking at it a few days ago online and thought about getting it.

it's pretty simple. i've been considering slimming my collection down, stuff hasn't been difficult enough to challenge and excite me. unfortunately, that means a lot of books i'd be interested in are rendered worthless. it was a recent revelation. simplicissimus is an interesting book, but it suffers from the curse of quantness. there is also a strange flippancy to the tragedies that occur on a regular basis. for picaresques i would suggest gil blas if you can find a worthwhile version (protip, you can't) or Lazarillo de Tormes.

*quaintness

How did you like Under the Volcano? I read about two thirds of it a few years ago and have thought about finishing it, but I stopped in the first place because I zoned out during a stream of conscious flashback and couldn't remember where I was in the story, so I started something else.

while you watched remember

i watched you fuck the guy? probably. i've seen many things in life. very likely it was either so beautiful that it could not be contained in the imperfect memory that i hold. only leaving the barest traces of shame for being a broken vessel of god, or it was horrifying to the extent that i wept it out, like one flushing a turd.

>Veeky Forums - Literature

>t. nothing to offer except snide drinks from the cuntina

I haven't read yet, it's up next in my backlog

And a kindle

>someone with all these mega philosophy tomes and NO commentaries/secondary literature

hmmm

There's a few secondary lit stuff there, and I read plenty others online, but what would you recommend?
Thanks friend, what about the Upanishads and the bhagavad gita? those are the main ones I've heard of

Why isn't Crying Lot next to V?

Would post my shelf but I need to clean up. Also Veeky Forums would call me a pleb.

why don't people take those stickers off the side when they buy secondhand books?
is it some kind of inverse snobbery?

Hell ya I know I'm pretty patrician, but I'm autistically obsessed with westerns atm. Top half is to read, bottom half is already read

Familia, how did you like zen flesh zen bones, I'm thinking about picking it up, I just can't justify buying it New and spending 10$ on it

>ITT circlejerk about our beautiful pretty little books!
The mods should delete these threads on sight. These threads have nothing to do with literature. You are all complete plebs.

any good complete shakespeare (oxford is good and cheap) and individual arden versions of your 5 favorite plays.

do I fit in yet?

this looks like you bought a couple shelf-fulls of books from a thrift store as you found them. not that that's a bad thing or anything. nice aesthetic.

did you know him?

weirds me out that you're reading kant before hume.

you're missing 1-5 and 10 of nichijou, inexcusable.

are you like 47?

Good lord man why can't you arrange those properly

Depends on what kind of glue the stickers have. Usually, you scratch on a corner and you can tell that way how well it'll come off. Sometimes you just accept that leaving the sticker on is the lesser of two evils.

it's an obscenely inefficient use of space to arrange books horizontally on a shelf in a single rank. I don't know why people do it.

fuck off poorfag you're doing it wrong

bookshelf threads should be like
>i've got that
>that too
>never heard of that tho, i wonder what it's about
>i say user, kindly give your opinion on that book

>why user, i do believe that a man of your undoubted fine tastes would appreciate it

>thank you my dear chap, toodle pip!

but instead it's
>waa waa you like what i don't like

also what the fuck is up with the fucking captchas today

>fuck off poorfag
>what the fuck is up with the fucking captchas today

It's not about efficient, it's about
A E S T H E T I C S

What's Sailor Twain? Is it about Mark Twain?

If you look closely Hume's enquiry concerning human understanding is up there, do you recommend I read anything else by him before moving on?

Why don't you contribute some discussion rather than just complain? I use these threads to get recommendations, and try to give them where I can.

Nah it's about sailor moon

hot

I'd recommend treatise to get the full conceptual context of kant but you're probably fine with enquiry. I very much enjoyed his essays. I hope you take an interest in phenomenology though that's not what hegel was discussing in the modern sense as far as I'm aware(I haven't read any hegel).

I want a fucking paperwhite so goddamn bad.

Then buy one, they aren't expensive

Kant never read the Treatise

100 bucks is expensive. and I still have my kindle 5, so I'd feel bad

>everyman's library
Cool. I have their Aeneid, got from a flea market for a dollar.

This, I used to have tons of books now I don't own a single physical one

That's a big book.

that's a big Shakespeare. mine's bigger though ;)

Are the Robert Fagles translations of Odyssey & Illiad any good? I picked up the Illiad a couple of months back but have been too busy to read it yet

I have all of my shit in an e-reader.

isn't that just conjecture?

The Martian, milk and honey, blood germs and steel not shown.

The martian, blood germs and steel, milk and honey not show.

does it not annoy you how needlessly deep the shelves are?

Yeah its annoying. They are short enough so you cant stack any books aesthetically. They are permanent so at least I dont need to buy shelves.

You have pretty great taste. Nice!

I just had some installed

Funny that you should mention it, but I used to have the Lattimore translations on my shelf before I gave them to a friend last night. I was barely able to get through Book 1 before I gave up, and bought Fagles' version, and it's MUCH easier to read. I highly recommend it.

Just in case if anybody is wondering, the book between The Aeneid and The Inferno is Rolfe Humphries' translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses. That one Aristotle book between Plato and Locke is Politics.

1/6, most of my non-fiction, loosely organized by topic.

2/6, African and most of Asian fiction (this and the next shelf picture are shit because they face each other and don't get light)

3/6, last of Japanese lit, then on to European literature

4/6, last of French lit (not organized right now since I've been lazy), all of UK and start of American lit

5/6, American lit, then Latin American lit, tiny bit of Australian, and bottom half is children's books with no organization to them

6/6, anthologies shelf, double-stacked right now until I get another bookcase

And this is what happens when you mix complete deference to a subpar board of people who pretend to read and to like reading with a dick-stroking tendency towards consumerism.

Look at all those cerebral books in brand new condition. Bet they still smell like new when you open one.

they all look read to me. ironically you're the arrogant faggot.

nice sidewalk chalk, faggot

I have chalkboard paint on the sides of the bookcases. Right now it's got the alphabet, numbers, some shapes and music notes on it.

I'm having a panic attack looking at how you stack books.

i barley knew him desu

>two rows deep of books
based.

ty

haha cerebreal books of the spankingest conditions

I still never figured out if it was my mom when visiting or one of my exes that threw out my copy of rise and fall of the third reich. just realized I didn't own it at some point, never got to read it.

what's in the binders?

Hell’s Angels 149pgs
Myths and Tales from the San Carlos Apache 83pgs
New Atlantis and the Great Instauration, 58pgs
irving shorts, 32pgs
charlie and the chocolate factory, 56pgs
charlie and the great glass elevator, 49pgs
INFINITE JEST, 37pgs
Aleph and Other Stories 83pgs
Labyrinths 106pgs
Tesla, strange life & prodigal genius bio, 182 pgs
Curious Creatures in Zoology 209pgs
Myth of Sisyphus 56pgs
a Clockwork Orange, 61pgs
Alchemist, the, 88pgs
Tarzan of the Apes, 144pgs
Naked Lunch 70pgs
Hatchet 50pgs
Underground City, verne 67 pgs
*******************************************************RED BINDER 2******************************************************************************
Moonchild, 173pgs, diary of a drug fiend, Book of the law
Scandanavian Myths 214pgs
Electric Koolaid test 171pgs
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? 100pgs
*******************************************************RED BINDER 3******************************************************************************
Folklore of the Menomini Indians volume xiii, part iii 340pgs
Star Gods Of Maya, 191pgs
USMC Breaching Guide, 65pgs
Mao Tse-Tung On Guerilla Warfare, 65pgs
book of five rings, 26pgs
Food of the gods, 103pgs
English at the North Pole, the, verne, 101pgs
*******************************************************RED BINDER 4******************************************************************************
Curse of lono, 85pgs
Solaris, stansilaw, lem 157pgs
verne, Voyages and Adventures of Captain Hatteras, 266 pgs, In the year 2889, 9pgs
dick, Man in the high castle, 70pgs
*******************************************************RED BINDER 5*****************************************************************************
VERNE a Voyage in a Balloon, 11pgs, pearl of lima a true love story 35 pgs, Paris in the Twentieth Century 47 pgs, All Around the Moon, 139pgs, From the Earth to the Moon, 217pgs, Robur the Conqueror 79 pgs, An Antarctic Mystery 131pgs, Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon 164 pgs (verne, the Year 2889, 17pgs)
PHILIP K DICK: selected stories vol 1-4 900pgs?
DAHL, ROALD the complete short stories, 543pgs
dick, UBIK 79pgs, Valis 96pgs
Hindu/Buddhist Myths Nobel, Margaret 234pgs
Celtic Britain, Rhys, John, 175pgs
Waif of the Cynthia, the, verne 63pgs
Musashi 750pgs
Heiko Story 317pgs (Taiko, 718pgs in box)

WHY