I only read penguin classics ;]

I only read penguin classics ;]

i only read wordsworth classics

i only read

Fuck you xdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxddxd

I poo poo in the potty

My favorite aspect of Penguin classics is that someone like me who barely reads can look like a bookworm just by having them on my shelf. I barely handle them and they look dog-eared and worn nearly instantly. It's perfect for bookshelf threads.

One cd do worse.

I dislike that some of their books (or maybe more recent printings or something) have shiny spines/backs, while some are only shiny on the art on the front.

What's wrong with Penguin Classics?

Nothing. Those that say it is inferior are just a bunch of mental retarded.

babby's introduction to books
or: man, i really need to ace this essay.

who gives a shit?

They're cheap and have nice artsy covers, which makes them an appealing choice for pseuds

checked

When I lived with my parents my mum would come home from second hand shops with penguin books because ' I know you like them'. It wasn't that I liked them per session it was just they were easiest to get used and cheap.

i only read Shit and you know what it's starting to get me real pissed off too

>checked
>9701349
What did he mean by this?

>1349

idk

>1349 is a Norwegian black metal band from Oslo, Norway, formed in 1997. The band's name comes from the year the Black Death reached Norway.

maybe

Is it just me, or are the older editions of Penguin Classics better quality? From the all the Penguin books I bought from my used books store, almost all of the artsy black cover books have creased spines, while the older ones like pic related don't.

That's cool then you still can read my book :)

>1349 was the year the Black Death reached Norway
You should've written this instead. We don't like it when americans like our stupid metal bands.

>reddit spacing

not putting a blank space between green text and black text is aesthetically unpleasing, u suck and have shit taste

gb2reddit

reddit spacing is a newfag meme that the last wave of kids started to say.

you are a newfag.

I don't own a single Penguin classic; though I own a bunch of those cheap as dirt Barnes and Noble brand books, if those are an acceptable substitute. What exactly is wrong with Penguin Classics? Do they edit the text or something?

I've been exposed.
Well I guess it's time to stop reading books.

>3 quick replies
Redtards are among us.

Why do I see this comment everywhere now?

Nothing wrong with the text. They're just shoddy is all. Intentional since they're targeted toward students who throw them away after an assignment.

So what about that manner of spacing is reddit?
I'm curious, I've seen a lot of people post about this shit all of the sudden, what gives?

Reddit's formatting means that if users want a paragraph break, they have to hit enter twice. If someone frequently uses reddit, they would probably have double-spaced paragraphs out of habit.
Also, quoting
> like this
is another giveaway.

Is there anything more pseud than hating penguin classics?

>admits the texts are good
>admits the essays are useful
>admits the covers are aesthetic
>hates them because the spines crack even though they are still perfectly functional

Aesthetic concerns taking precedence is the mark of the pseud because all that matters to him is that his library looks nice, not that the content is useful and interesting to him. The easiest way to detect a pseud that collects instead of reads is to check whether their Penguin Classics spines are cracked or not. The series was actually designed to be cheap to make high quality texts available to people at the price of a pack of cigarettes, so the greentexted criteria actually speaks to the series fulfilling its purpose completely.

They are the same in my experience.

It's pure bullshit, people have been spacing their posts like that for years. It's only now when everyone's paranoid about le reddit invasion of le sekrit club that it's become an issue. If you don't believe me go check the archive.

Pol shills just use this paranoid fantasy as a way of ad hominem and it's nothing to worry about. You've seen it a lot lately because pol moves too fast for trolls to get enough yous and the ones who can't compete come here because the board is slower. That or they are part of a stormfront group who are trying to turn Veeky Forums into a white nationalist site there was a link to their raid thread at one point but I can't be arsed to find it.

That was me 10 years ago, They were so cheap and I lapped them up off the shelf.

>Having different translators for Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid
>buying for publisher aesthetic
Pseud

Bad translations, generally

certain ones have bad translations. Veeky Forums is being contrarian for the most part, but there seems to be really bad quality control around the construction of their books. I have some that look like new, and then other that I read twice and look like they're on the verge of falling apart.

they're also a godsend if you like older ghost and horror stories. cheap collections of M.R. James, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, Elizabeth Gaskell, and a bunch more.

They do have the definitive Epic of Gilgamesh though, and the translations I have are generally fine.

What specific books would you say have bad translations

I only read Dover thrift edition
Just kidding those book are so cheaply made that I would rather read a PDF on a smartphone.

Its a bullshit critique with nothing to back it up. Fucking worst meme on this board is the stupid anti penguin shit, and even then its a failed fucking meme.

I actually just picked up there version of Gilgamesh so I'm glad to hear it's good

Which ones are badly translated? And I don't crack the spine of my books so I think as long as I do that they should hold up

>I lapped them up off the shelf.
eww that sounds disgusting

>not having multiple translations
>not realising that the Aeneid is not written by the same person and in Latin thus rendering having the same translator for all three absurd

>Not realising a translator can do well with more than one fucking language.

>Not simply buying the cheapest option if its not a translation.

>being poor

i make it a point to not bed the shit out of my PC's because i do reread and refer to them occasionally and would prefer not to have to buy new editions or tape on the covers.