I just read the epic of gilgamesh today, went in knowing nothing about it...

i just read the epic of gilgamesh today, went in knowing nothing about it. i was quite suprised when i found fucking noah's flood in it. thoughts on the epic of gilgamesh?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XMedFbenWaQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>just now realizes the old testament is just remix of random mesopotamian shit

and this is why it's important to go to school and become educated, so how's summer semester going? was that the first reading?

>Every pre-Abrahamic religion that originated in Europe to the Middle East had their own version of the Great Flood
Color me fucking shocked!

>implying i've read the old testament
you don't have to read it to know biblical stories unless you live under a rock

Noah's flood isn't Noah's, and it's honestly a plot line in most shitty primitively creation stories. Also, the Bible is nothing more than an essay written by dehydrated Jews hours before a deadline, copying and pasting from other texts and slightly rearranging the words to avoid plagiarism allegations.

Yes, good book. I love the part where he tries to stay awake for three days.

It's my favorite "book"! what did you like most about it OP?

well i like the historical context, but it's good on it's own as well. i wish i could read it in it's poetic form but i'm not learning sumerian just for that

>youtube.com/watch?v=XMedFbenWaQ

It's really interesting in a formal level. I wrote a paper on role shifts last term that ended up fairly well. I could write a lot on it, though. My paper only skimmed the top of what I discovered; it barely delved into the dreams or topology.
t. redditor

>you don't have to read it to know biblical stories unless you live under a rock
correct, which is why thinks that Genesis is the whole OT

That woman is a fucking mong. If the entire earth is flooded of course people are going to know and write about it.

How long is it?

About 30 pages.

Thanks, faggot

I bought it for $1, haven't read it yet

Whenever I decide what to read next I skim through it and notice how much is missing, and get worried I'm going to hate it, and don't read it

see you on the tip of the spiral :~)

I believe in Chariots of the Gods Erich von Däniken writes about the abduction scene in here. Enkidu is taken onto an ancient alien craft and flown some great distance before being returned to Earth.

post bicameral narrative within a bicameral society

they was woke

Bicameral theory of mind is modernist nonsense ('muh preconception that history is linear progress so people must have gotten progressively smarter over time, therefore the earliest people were unreflecting retards') and Gilgamesh, among other texts, thoroughly discredits it.

The idiot who came up with the theory is ironically the closest living example of it - he is totally unaware of the ideological preconceptions he operates under. Ideology is for him the voice of command which he unknowingly and uncritically accepts without being able to perceive it and reason about it. Truly this is ideology at it's purest.

Yeah. Without necessarily agreeing with the second part of the this post I agree with the first part. "Post bicameral narrative within a bicameral society" is self-contradictory nonsense. It simply refutes bicameralism.

Interpreting ancient myths as if those humans were modern humans would be modernist nonsense. I didn't get the impression that he was arguing they were retards. Rather, they may have been intelligent yet unreflective (in the conventional sense). They could reflect on themselves but it would take the form of a god admonishing them (or encouraging them).

Or maybe it shows that they were the first?

>Or maybe it shows that they were the first?
What a coinqidinck that it's also one of the earliest poems. I'm sure the day before they cut gilgamesh into stone they were all bicamerial beings. Is this the power of pure supposition? Bicamerialism is totally, utterly irrefutable?

Even Hinduism has a great flood tho...you reckon it was the Indo-Aryans who carried it over from Europe to the Indus Valley Civ?

>tfw the language you speak is directly connected to that picture

>i was quite suprised when i found fucking noah's flood in it.
Wow you really did know nothing going in. What translation did you use?
I am truly living up to my illustrious ancestors.
No that's dumb fuck off.

retard. read timaeus

double retard

Where did I say anything about interpretation of the myths? No interpretation is required to see that it destroys the theory.

Julian Jaynes made the case that a bicameral mentality was the normal and ubiquitous state of the human mind as recently as 3000 years ago.

Yet in the characters of Gilgamesh, the earliest versions of which date back to the later 2nd millennium BCE, we can observe introspection and other mental processes that, according to Jaynes, were impossible for the bicameral mind.

It's.. It's almost as if Judaism, and naturally Christianity and Islam, are fucking hack-job religions made from grander religions which developed over a much longer period of time whereas the Abrahamic ones were made by the craziest peoples of their time!

It's another Pagan religions take credit for a religion that speaks strictly AGAINST paganism:the thread

From the Babylonians perspective, the Juden were pagans.

>le redditor

Unfunny. Kill yourself.

please go back

>implying that people call out redditors, such as yourself, to be funny

I like the fact that Enkidu is civilised by a sacred prostitute.

Why don't we have sacred prostitutes anymore, then we could 'civilise' this website. Imagine how much better it would be without angsty virgins.

jealous old hags and feminism

>reddit spacing
You have to go back.

More importantly there's absolutely no archaeological evidence that humanity ever had a bicameral mind or that such a thing is even possible. The only thing that's been happening to our brains is better nutrition.

Dude spoilers

Not just better nutrition, but leisure time.

Idleness is a vice, not a virtue. It is used by the vast majority of peoples to play on their phones and watch television, not to educate themselves. People now are less educated than ever.

Dumb ass suburbanite.

How2Pay all the holy hookers?