What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Everyman's Library?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Everyman's Library?

Go for a edition with good notes instead of one with a pretty hardcover.

probably the best quality mainstream hardcover you can find

Or just read the book and decide for yourself what it's about, what the themes are, and what the author was trying to say.

sometimes you want a book that will last

Dumbest thing I've ever read in the history of my life.

not that user, but no, you're objectively wrong.

>can't read a book on his own

doesn't matter what 'edition' you get. really wish people would stop saying this. As long as you have the text you're fine

Every book will last if you take good care of it.

It looks nice to hang on your shelf, but I want a good translator/editor/notes. Though I could be wrong, and it could be stellar quality. Anyone recommend a good place to get a library from? Britannica Great Books seems tempting.

Got the Everyman's Library edition of War & Peace pretty much mainly because of the fact it was in three volumes, making it easier to read. I also checked the translator too, so you know.
It's decent, but I still think Oxford World Classics is by far the best publisher you can get for classic novels.

>notes and introductions are brainwashing mechanisms!

kek kys senpai

If you don't know what you are talking about, you should shut up. Editions matter.

Shitty translations.

The fact the book wont ruin my shelf by making it look like /lgbt/ vomited on a pile of wood is nice.
I keep seeing anons say bad translations, can you elaborate? Maybe say which book(s) you didn't like? I was considering their The Divine Comedy

Like the older editions, pre-1965, of specifically English and American classics. Pepys, Boswell, Gibbon et al.

their divine comedy is good

Thanks for the infograph, user!

None of my translations are on this chart.

>mfw i'm italian and i don't need any goddamn translation so i can enjoy the godly Fratelli Fabbri Editori Divina Commedia

lol that's like the only good thing about being italian these days who are you even kidding

Oh, we can do a lot of other great stuff. Like, making actually good pizza.

>actually lists pizza next like a caricature of himself

kek. i hope your country full of thieving gypsies enjoys that great pizza.

this should really add the study Qur'an. While it is certainly perrenialist, it has a lot of resources within it and really makes reading the Qur'an very interesting as it draws from a lot of medieval sources

I went to your shitty country last winter, everyone drives like shit and immigrants roam freely like it's their turf. Swindling tourists must be the pride of your people and the highest achievement they can ammount to.

Lasagna cannelloni pasta!

awful chart

Keep crying babbies, can't hear you over my being genetically superior

Pleb version of wordsworth

>t. 56%

No thank you Mr. "Cultural Enrichment"

>reading the (((introduction)))
Veeky Forums is fucking dead

You're the ones that always post asking for everyone else's thoughts on a book you just finished so you can make sure you're allowed to enjoy it, aren't you?

Amazing. The Montaigne is really thicc and great quality too.

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this, but, should I buy the Harvard Classics, 1909, for 250? It contains all 51 volumes

Fuck off memester. If you're going to read the Qur'an, it is a version worth reading and should be in the chart.

The NIV is the satanic bible, do not ever recommend it to anyone

Many of the translations will be out of date
Many if not all of the English-language books are legally available for free on the internet due to them having fallen into the public domain
You could get them at the library
The type will probably be small and irritating to read

Not worth 250 imo. It does look like an interesting selection of important books though, albeit maybe a little Anglo/liberal heavy.

No they don't.
The glue in paperbacks dry out. My war and peace is 110 years old and feels newer than a 10 year old paperback