Who is your favorite transgender writer?

Who is your favorite transgender writer?

Mine is the same as The New Yorker's, Ernest Hemingway

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)
ocw.mit.edu/courses/anthropology/21a-750j-social-theory-and-analysis-fall-2011/syllabus/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

DFW

DFW

Me

>Hemingway
>Burly man who got into frequent bar brawls and wrote masculine/traditional themes
>Gender-bending progressive
What did they mean by this? I'm honestly getting tired of these liberal "academics" ascribing their beliefs to anyone they feel like.

NEETzsche

Hemingway had identity problems due to a lot of fucked up shit in his life - one minor example being his mother forcing him to wear girls' clothes as a child.

That this somehow made him transexual is so ridiculous and base a claim as to unveil The New Yorker's own bigotry, but at this point what can you expect. People have been trying to revise Hemingway as somehow feminist or intersectional for decades, first by revising Hills Like White Elephants and The Snows of Mount Kilimanjaro. Next they'll claim Lady Bett as a feminist icon.

>mother forced him to wear girls' clothes, emotionally scarring him for life and eventually resulting in his suicide
>WHAT A BRAVE TRANS ICON

Hemingway is kinda sweet desu. I'd say he even writes like a girl most days.

>the new yorker
>the year of our lord 2017

for what purpose?

>eventually resulting in his suicide
Electroshock Therapy damaging the linguistic synapses in his brain led Hemingway to kill himself. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if what you said IS actually the mental gymnastics routine these people are trying to pull off.

You need to be intersectional to be deserving of reverence these days. They're doing what they can to save Hemingway.

>People were just bullying academia about this kinda stuff in the /leftist/ thread
God dammit new yorker.

>mother forced him to wear girls' clothes, emotionally scarring him for life
bullshit. that was a standard for the time, and usually only for toddlers, basically because dresses looked pretty and when kids are that young it doesn't matter anyway. people who think that damaged him, are the kind of people who buy gender specific chew toys for their dogs.

Hemmingway was a whiny bitch who overcompensated and then anheroed when he realized that didn't make him any less of a hack.

It's ideology. Progressives feel personally threatened by masculinity and sincerely believe that it is responsible for social evil, so they take every available opportunity to demean or subvert it. Hemingway is a respected and famous cultural figure whose writing is explicitly about the pursuit of a masculine ideal--politically, this is very dangerous to progressives in the same way that the Beatles and Hollywood films were dangerous to Stalinist apparatchiks.

In the recent past the favorite tactic of progressives was simply to insult his writing on technical level and degrade his popular persona. When I read A Farewell to Arms in high school, my teacher showed every class she taught his famous childhood photo where he's dressed like a girl. The group discussions were dominated by girls sneering at his war passages and depiction of women ("How can anybody take this seriously?") and many took issue with his "annoying" choppiness.

And yeah, this representation of Hemingway as a hypocrite and bad writer does appeal to the "Did you know John Lennon beat his wife and wasn't Lou Reed?" crowd, but it hasn't been enough to upset his status as a cultural giant. His influence on Western literature was too big and his style was too popular. The New Yorker can't exactly proclaim Richard Ford and Raymond Carver to be interesting writers but Hemingway mediocre.

So now the tactic is a bit slier and, in my opinion, more effective--progressives are using the Hamilton method and rather than degrading Hemingway, they're going to appropriate him for their political ends. They're going to reshape him in their own image and then promote this new representation both to fellow progressives and Hemingway's readers. Hemingway's achievements are now progressive and transgender-friendly achievements. When you read Hemingway (like every high schooler does), you are being given a path toward embracing progressive politics. Hemingway is no longer a figure to be resented and mocked because he's now an argument in favor of liberal values. The narrative has shifted

smart boi

How the fuck did academia become so hyper liberal? It's ruining the arts

Smart persons started going to academia, eventually driving out the retards.

>Hemmingway was a whiny bitch

How many wars did you participate in?

Where else can you find a job that requires no quality control, little effort and doesn't demand realistic or practical implementations?

academics are members of the managerial class rationally acting according to their class interests.

>tfw after a lifetime of uncertainty and fear you become a published and widely read author
>as you grow older your legacy is morphed and manipulated by cultural marxists
>long after you're dead redacted versions of your works are known across the globe and you're celebrated as one of the foremost black transsexual gay jewish authors that ever lived
better to die in obscurity

except unless they start editing the texts themselves his novels are all still going to be no girls allowed masculinity machines. reading hemingway as an impressionable teen made me start lifting. no amount of new yorker articles recontextualizing his life is going to change the content of his books and how they are received.

The sad thing is this is how academics actually think

Because smart people go into business.

>acting according to their class interests

Except most academics are Marxists who foolishly promote that ideology not realizing that they would be first up against the wall if commissars Tyrone and Juan ever actually mobilized the proletariat.

Which books did you like?

Ive only read The Sun Also Rises and disliked it

this unironically is a fear of mine

Expect most Marxists don't teach Orthodox Communism, they teach neo-Marxism which sets them up as infallible Philosopher-Kings.

Academic institutions depend on public funding. Left-wing parties and politicians have been historically in favor of using public money to fund government programs.

Also, blame the German philosophers and their influence on international academic institutions during the 18th to early 20th century. Marxist thought has it's roots in Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, among others (Including Rousseau).

>wrote masculine/traditional themes

A Farewell to Arms is about the idea that heroism in war is a complete fucking joke. The main character gets a medal because he ran across a battlefield to get booze. Then he ditched the war effort so he could marry a nurse who proceeds to have a miscarriage and dies.

For Whom the Bell Toils is about how them blowing up the bridge is completely fucking useless and the fascists won anyway.

The only book he wrote where masculinity actually helped the main character was The Old Man and the Sea. In every other book it just leads to misery.

>unless they start editing the texts themselves

Oh, it's coming, user

I've come to believe fascism is the only thing that can save civilisation from victim-o-cratic sharia transgender dystopia in which the only culture is fat positive burka twerking

Hemingway a CUTE

>his mother forcing him to wear girls' clothes as a child
wasn't dressing boys in dresses an incredible common practice for like centuries until very recently?

That may be true but as long as Marx is being taught in any capacity Orthodox Communism will linger on the margins and continue to attract the more edgy students.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

>Academic institutions depend on public funding
They wouldn't if they didn't mismanage their endowments, your tuition fees are spent on paying
literally nobody's $100k/yr to work for 30 hours a week teaching highschool level ethnics.

your a joke

>tfw you will never be a tenured professor who teaches class twice a week and making your TA grade every paper that comes in and make 100+k/yr "editing" a twice-annual second-rate scholarly review

liberals ruined western civilization

Him being a closet homo is not rad anymore, so they had to change it to "gender bending".

hemingway is gay as fuck dude, if you didn't know there are tons of "masc" gay guys

he was a pansie

liberalism is what makes western civilization western, if everyone was still under the spell of puritanical christianity the west would be indistinguishable from the orient

Hemingway wasn't gay, he was impotent and anhedonic.

christianity made western civilisation western, liberalism is the ideology of capital.

Unironically kill yourself for being so stupid

christianity is oriental, liberalism is getting back to the true european values of classical antiquity

>true european values of classical antiquity
ie. pederasty

>he was impotent

that's why he was a power bottom

in case you didn't notice the roman catholics never stopped pedoing kids right up until present day

Hemingway is a respected and famous cultural figure whose writing is explicitly about the pursuit of a masculine ideal
wtf I love Hemingway now

> "Did you know John Lennon beat his wife and wasn't Lou Reed?" crowd
Could someone give me a quick rundown on John Lennon?

> They're going to reshape him in their own image and then promote this new representation both to fellow progressives and Hemingway's readers.
You may be in exaggeration. The tweet OP posted is quite absurd, but who is to say this is anything more than some halfwit writing for some clickbait publication?

[Citation required]

I'm pretty sure Hemingway just lost the ability to enjoy anything which is why he killed himself. He has the perfect life and it didnt do anything for him.

At least then you wouldn't be a virgin

wait, do ppl actually read a gay mother fucker like hemingway as an unironically male role model or archetype? lollllll

did u not consider he couldn't get it up for hos because he was a fucking fag? come on bro next you'll be telling me macho hairy leather clad motorcycle goons are straight lmaoooo

Where did you pull 'male role model or archetype' from my post?

Hemingway is a case study in depression, is what I'm saying. Serious, physiologically motivated, depression. People tend to confuse lack of sexual interest with being homo

Is there any evidence that he was impotent, or is that just because of Fiesta?

>had a tranny kid
>was weirdly obsessed with masculinity
>constantly depressed
And the kicker
>killed himself
Probably a tranny desu

TSaR he writes himself as a limpdick.

the masculine homosexual is the foremost threat to the cultural marxist politically correct jewish order. The jews tremble at the prospect of a new Band of Thebes. Aryan civilisation will be ruled over by an aristocratic homosexual bodybuilder elite.

>"Did you know John Lennon beat his wife and wasn't Lou Reed?"
It's funny because Reed was posthumously accused of beating his first wife, calling Donna Summer a nigger, and calling Bob Dylan a kike

So basically /lgbt/s brand of white supremacist women hating gays?

yeah peter theil type dudes who couldn't get laid in college and so commit to a lifestyle of sucking big fat dicks out of spite

Is it really that unbelievable to say that some people actually just didn't like his writing style?

What happens if you go into one of these classrooms and tell them you don't agree in a polite and non-condescending way?

They let you make your point.

You don't, because It isn't worth the fallout and you're most likely arguing with a adjunct; a person of no worth anyway.

you get 10 points added on your final grade for classroom participation, what else do you expect? a special award?

You get good grades, because in reality academic professors actually appreciate people who can think for themselves and make coherent arguments to support their views.

t. higherschools who are really looking forwards to community college

so your parents talked u out of leaving the farm and heading off to university eh? worried you might become a homosexual ten minutes after meeting a jew for the first time? understandable.

>Social Theory and Analysis
>Level: Graduate
>Course Description: This course covers major theorists and theoretical schools since the late 19th century. Marx, Weber, Durkheim, Bourdieu, Levi-Strauss, Geertz, Foucault, Gramsci, and others.
>Class Participation: 50%
>Class Discussion Leading: 25%
>Response Papers: 25%

>ocw.mit.edu/courses/anthropology/21a-750j-social-theory-and-analysis-fall-2011/syllabus/

Are you disagreeing with me? lets settle this the old fashioned way, with bike locks and hoodies.

>Class Participation: 50%
what the hell
that's way too much weight for what is essentially the professor's discretion

you didn't know every class everywhere gives you points for class participation, clearly you are an uneducated mong, kys, also i've competed in combat sports for years, buy a ticket to nyc and pick a gym, i'll be happy to beat your ass

Dude, don't make fun of the anthropology student, that's fucking low.

I graduated university years ago. Have you even been to college?

His mom took a little longer to unbreech him and he indulged a strange fetish from time to time. That's all they have go on, but for an internet psychologist with a million cliches at hand it's more than enough

There needs to be a new city to hold the cult of literature. New York is too corrupt and political to stand anywhere near real self expression.

This is why I never submit my works for publication. They'd easily get printed but it'd be a sort of prostitution to open yourself up to be misunderstood.

>Mary V. Dearborn’s new biography, “Hemingway” (Knopf), is hardly full of revelations. With the witnesses almost all dead, and the archives combed through as if by addicts looking for remnants of crack, how could it be?

One of those articles where the New Yorker actually sinks below the middle brow.

He Was
AGP
G
P

The New Yorker has some hilariously bad articles theses days senpai, this doesn't even approach the list.

No, it isn't. Those values are decidedly undemocratic

>anthropology student
>smarter than a farmer
Lel

> The original of Catherine in “A Farewell to Arms” was an American nurse named Agnes von Kurowsky, whom he loved passionately, only to have her reject him with a chilly Dear John letter, in which she told him that she was “still very fond” of him but “more as a mother than a sweetheart.” He fixed the facts in the novel by having her die for love bearing his child. Revenge on reality like that is what literature is for.

>Dearborn sees clearly what was clouded then: that a large part of Hemingway’s decline in his last years was due to an inherited bipolar disorder coupled with a penchant for self-medication through alcohol.

Blech.

>the Greeks

I'll always remember the look on my father's face, when after breaking his back on the farm to send me off to the state college for the agricultural program, I told him that I had switched my major to English and didn't intend to come back to the farm.

>>Class Participation: 50%
That's higher than the poetry classes I was forced to attend, what the actual fuck m8.

>English major
>didn't intend to come back to the farm
Emphasis on the intend.

Stoner wasn't a bad guy imo

The only example and they were anti egalitarian

Hemingway was a KGB recruit.

Doesn't get much more progressive than that.

That's true though. Hemingway, behind the macho posturing, was a weak-ass pussy who was into femdom and probably a closet fag.

>wrote books about being domineered by women
>insecure macho posturer

To be fair, there are cracks in the hyper-masculine surface of his writing. This is not to suggest that he was gay or transgendered, just that there are contradictory elements in his writing. I think it's fair game to look at these, as long as we don't try to project insights from his writings back to Hemingway the person. I mean it's pretty sloppy criticism if the whole point is to glean something onto the biography of a writer.

>cracks

You could say that. One of his most famous novels is about a guy watching others fuck the love of his life because he's impotent.

>he didn't catch the subtext of self-loathing and insecurity in Hemingway's writing
>he believes in the public persona he created while ignoring the fact that he literally killed himself like a pussy
>he doesn't realize that macho-ness is a shallow materialist ideal peddled by liberals to cucks and fags to keep them mindless consumer sheep

I mean, I'm being generous. From my talks with people in academia that do queer readings of Hemingway, they usually focus on the queerness of his writings and try to avoid biographical information as much as possible. Of course, people outside of academia have a hard time distinguishing the difference, and there are some people that like reading biographical info into books, but they're usually not taken as seriously.

I do think that one problem with academia right now is that you'll probably find a queer reading of any author you can imagine published by somebody, not because of some sinister SJW plot to rewrite the Western canon, but rather just because of the incentive to publish to get tenured positions. If you're the first to publish a queer reading of a famous author, that looks good on your CV. I'm not trying to discredit all queer readings. A lot, especially with an author like Hemingway are pretty convincing, and even in mostly heteronormative texts, it's worthwhile reading against the grain. It's just frustrating that getting published in academia is largely dependent on being the first to do "X" reading of "Y" regardless of the quality of the reading. A lot of queer theory readings are really compelling, even if the theory isn't my personal wheel-house, but it's clear that a lot of things are published to be placeholders on CVs.