Plato's Republic

I've been working my way through Plato's dialogues and have been thoroughly enjoying them, despite some weak arguments, and logical flaws. But this book is on a whole new level of stupidity. How much of this was intended to be taken seriously? Was it an exercise for students to pick apart? I can't imagine someone being stupid enough to support the ideas conveyed here.

bump

lmao was reddit always this stupid?

>wisdom and truth are some of the highest virtues
>everyone should be taught they were born like the Orcs in the Lord of the Rings

Republic was NOT supposed to be an instruction manual!!!

Plato himself rejects the Republic. Read The Laws afterwards.

SAGE AND REPORT SHILL AND PSYOP THREADS.

>OP thinks he's smart because he read Republic but read zero commentaries on Republic

literally kys

Cam you give an example?

>Thinking you need to read secondary sources to read a book intended for the general public.
wew lad

>thinking "the general public" hasn't changed in 2400 years

wew lad

What kinds of flaws? Can you provide some examples?

>How much of this was intended to be taken seriously?
This question is not at all unique to the Republic, and is actually worse of an issue in other dialogues.

>Was it an exercise for students to pick apart?
Certainly, although that's not all it was.

One of the key things to keep in mind while reading the Republic is that its political topics are subordinate to working what is true of the soul. Plato's assumption is that by working through the perfect city, he will find the analogy to the soul, and thus find an existential answer of how to live. With that in mind I'm much more lenient towards how he builds up the city, despite its obvious flaws. For every law he institutes there is a corresponding reason for it in the soul.

like what?
see
It's about the soul, not an actual plan for a city lol

thrasymachus was right

Socrates showed what a punk ass bitch he was.

Plato was only intended for the elite.

With that kind of thinking it looks like you didn't learn anything.

So basically
>the real republic was inside us all along

>straw maning this hard
Why though? Is realizing your own ignorance not an exciting feeling, to know that there is so much more out there? Maybe you're just suffering from Dunning-Kruger. You should check out the Philosophy project in the Veeky Forums wiki.

Can you identify one of the many problems you see with it?

no goddamnit Galucon fucking listen to what I'm saying you stupid cunt

woops

>Reads Plato for plot.

Kek

Protip OP: the Republic is not about an actual Republic

ITT: We witness the pseuds defend a work in a way they wouldn't if it was written today because "old books are so le intelligent because they're old and that must make me le intelligentl"

Hahaha what a great observation! I can't believe people actually fall for the numbers meme. If numbers were invented today nobody would give a shit because we have so many sophisticated calculus stuff now! omg, the fucking pseuds on this board.

Fucking kek
Plato btfo

>so, I guess the republic was the friends we made along the way
Woah

lmfao pseuds btfo

samefagging this hard